• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few doubts:

1. How’s boot black?
2. What’s bb’s shine water?
3. How to I remove the remove the existing wax and cream on my shoes? (Not harsh as renomat)

Thanks

1. More expensive, not any improvement over saphir.
2. Not sure.
3. A. Use saddle soap and condition afterwards. B. Use neutral polish as a rubbing agent until your cloth doesn't pick up colour anymore.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with silicone if it is in there, I agree the solvent is more of the issue. Silicone is completely inert. If you’re concerned keep hard wax off of sections of the shoe that bend and use a water based product there (lexol, bick 4, rénovateur etc).

What I understand is that silicone is hard to remove from shoes. That could be a concern when you have a hard time removing the old polish which you eventually want to do.

ajay199127

Reaction score
1. More expensive, not any improvement over saphir.
2. Not sure.
3. A. Use saddle soap and condition afterwards. B. Use neutral polish as a rubbing agent until your cloth doesn't pick up colour anymore.
Thank you.
What’s your take on shoji works brushes and does the difference in horse, pig and goat bristle serve different purposes ?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
What’s your take on shoji works brushes and does the difference in horse, pig and goat bristle serve different purposes ?

I have never tried shoji.

Horse is for usual polishing.

Pig can be better for brushing brogues shoes.

Goat is for buffing and maintaining a high shine

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What I understand is that silicone is hard to remove from shoes. That could be a concern when you have a hard time removing the old polish which you eventually want to do.
That's what they say, but it reality silicone isn't hard to remove. Anything that will remove wax will also remove silicone. If it is an issue for you just use Saphir and be worry-free.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In my experience goat brushes clouded the surface of bulled shoes and never worked as advertised. Maintaining a fast, but light touch with horsehair has always worked better, however some of the more expensive stiffer brushes are harder to use. Vintage kiwi brushes are where it is at, imo.

fendermustang

Reaction score
I'm checking out a pair of stormwelted shoes that has a natural color sole edge with white thread welt stitching.
Not able to find the same model with a uniform, dark brown edge, dark brown thread, which is what i'm looking for.
Is it possible to dye the sole edge/ storm welt/ welt thread? A permanent job would be best. that being said I don't mind touching it up once in a while.
Anyone done this successfully?
I use fiebing's edge dressing for touching up other soles, should I just use that?

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out a pair of stormwelted shoes that has a natural color sole edge with white thread welt stitching.
Not able to find the same model with a uniform, dark brown edge, dark brown thread, which is what i'm looking for.
Is it possible to dye the sole edge/ storm welt/ welt thread? A permanent job would be best. that being said I don't mind touching it up once in a while.
Anyone done this successfully?
I use fiebing's edge dressing for touching up other soles, should I just use that?

I’ve done this many times. Any leather dye will suffice. A little tape for the uppers, a steady hand and a combination of the dauber that comes with the dye and a small arts and crafts brush is all that’s needed. I use whatever is available, which for dark brown, is typically one of these…….

F09782E0-5A7C-40BC-9CA3-74EBE50DC3B6.jpeg

My most recent conversion were these shell wings. Formerly on antique, converted using the Fieblings dark brown dye.....

20220205_WingsAfter.jpg
20220205_MonksWingsAfter.jpg

Last edited:

Azhar

Reaction score
Completed my first mirror shine with Saphir Mirror Gloss but I got carried away and applied a bit on the sides. Now how do I remove it? Should I use some of the Saphir cream to remove it? Acetone? Vinegar? What is the mildest way of doing this please?
btw. I hear renomat is good for this but I haven't bought a bottle.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completed my first mirror shine with Saphir Mirror Gloss but I got carried away and applied a bit on the sides. Now how do I remove it? Should I use some of the Saphir cream to remove it? Acetone? Vinegar? What is the mildest way of doing this please?
btw. I hear renomat is good for this but I haven't bought a bottle.
If it's not directly on the flex points of the vamp you should be alright to keep it as it is. If you feel you must remove it, apply a a bit of cream to the area and brush it off to see how that does before resorting to more extreme measures.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's not directly on the flex points of the vamp you should be alright to keep it as it is. If you feel you must remove it, apply a a bit of cream to the area and brush it off to see how that does before resorting to more extreme measures.

It should be perfectly fine. The crack would likely only be in that area.

basu13

Reaction score
Any pointers on how to care for and condition horserump leather on boots (specifically the horserump from Maryam tannery). I have a pair on MTO coming in some time, and was wondering whether they are to be treated like calf leather or CXL or shell etc ?

vim147

Reaction score
I've been given these Loake Chester brogues which I plan on dyeing black as I already have many tan brogues.

Problem is that there is a deep'ish gash near the heel welt about an inch long. It's not all that noticeable when looking from 4 feet up especially once I've dyed them black. The cut must have been caused by a cobbler when resoling them.

However I would like to fill it in somehow or secure it. can anyone recommend some sort of glue that I can use ?

20220415_031255.jpg
20220415_031318.jpg
20220415_031337.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics