• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I'm using neutral saphir mirror gloss over Medaille D'Or cream. ********** side of things, I see almost all the color of the cream come off the shoe, and on the shoe side of things its like the cream gets mixed into the mirror gloss so it won't shine properly.

That is so strange. I've never had this problem.

Like here's an example of me using cream polish to antique a pair of Allen Edmonds and then gloss them after with neutral.

IMG_20210319_1403539.jpg

My suggestion would be this:

Apply cream polish. Let it dry and then buff to a nice, soft shine. Be sure not to use too much and try to work the cream into the leather by applying moderate pressure.

Apply the same colour regular pate de luxe on the shoes for three or more layers, making sure to buff well.

Then apply the mirror gloss with just a little bit of water. Just a little.

Finish with one last layer of pate de luxe, applied thinly as you can, and buff with just a drop of water and finish with a lady's nylon stocking for extra gloss.

ThriftyDandy

Reaction score
I'm trying to achieve a true mirror shine but I keep running into the same streaking problem no matter the polish I use.
I've tried using several brands of wax polish and I've just upgraded to Saphir Mirror Gloss, but I keep running into the same problem when trying to achieve a mirror shine. No matter what I do I see these "micro streaks" (very fine lines in the wax in the direction that I've been polishing; back-and-forth, front-to-back, small circles, etc.)
I buy most of my shoes second hand so I typically start by giving them a once over with leather moisturizer and/or shoe cream before moving on to wax polish. I then use the popular technique of applying several layers of wax to begin with (to fill the pores of the leather) and then buffing with a cotton cloth (I've used old t-shirt, a Saphir polishing cloth, and an off-brand polishing cloth) and then very slowly building up further layers of wax, intermittently buffing with a very small amount of ice water (I've tried with and without a few drops of isopropyl alcohol in the water). This produces a decent shine that I can see a reflection in, but it only ever gets so shiny and the whole time while polishing I can see these micro streaks in the wax that I can't seem to get rid of.
Does anyone know how I can avoid this or what I might be doing wrong to cause this?

Goofy

Reaction score
No I'm using neutral saphir mirror gloss over Medaille D'Or cream. ********** side of things, I see almost all the color of the cream come off the shoe, and on the shoe side of things its like the cream gets mixed into the mirror gloss so it won't shine properly.
My guess is you may be applying to much mirror gloss. When it comes to achieving a mirror shine, less is more. Layering is key. Besides that, I’d rather apply mirror gloss onto polish than cream. Plus don’t forget to brush between the two applications.

Goofy

Reaction score
I'm trying to achieve a true mirror shine but I keep running into the same streaking problem no matter the polish I use.
I've tried using several brands of wax polish and I've just upgraded to Saphir Mirror Gloss, but I keep running into the same problem when trying to achieve a mirror shine. No matter what I do I see these "micro streaks" (very fine lines in the wax in the direction that I've been polishing; back-and-forth, front-to-back, small circles, etc.)
I buy most of my shoes second hand so I typically start by giving them a once over with leather moisturizer and/or shoe cream before moving on to wax polish. I then use the popular technique of applying several layers of wax to begin with (to fill the pores of the leather) and then buffing with a cotton cloth (I've used old t-shirt, a Saphir polishing cloth, and an off-brand polishing cloth) and then very slowly building up further layers of wax, intermittently buffing with a very small amount of ice water (I've tried with and without a few drops of isopropyl alcohol in the water). This produces a decent shine that I can see a reflection in, but it only ever gets so shiny and the whole time while polishing I can see these micro streaks in the wax that I can't seem to get rid of.
Does anyone know how I can avoid this or what I might be doing wrong to cause this?
I’d suggest more frequent use of ice water. In clarification, not more water, just more frequent application of it. Your cloth should constantly remain damp, or else it’ll become scratchy. Another pro tip. Towards the end, breath onto the shoe. The moisture in your breath is perfect to achieve a high gloss mirror shine.

Plus all that rubbing can wear down a shining cloth and make it scratchy. Move over to a pristine piece of cloth towards the end of your shining routine to avoid this.

Last edited:

ThriftyDandy

Reaction score
I’d suggest more frequent use of ice water. In clarification, not more water, just more frequent application of it. Your cloth should constantly remain damp, or else it’ll become scratchy. Another pro tip. Towards the end, breath onto the shoe. The moisture in your breath is perfect to achieve a high gloss mirror shine.

Plus all that rubbing can wear down a shining cloth and make it scratchy. Move over to a pristine piece of cloth towards the end of your shining routine to avoid this.

Thank you, I'll give that a shot!

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This can help (and also using less cream):

A helpfull addition to my shoecare kit, "Premiun Goat Hair Polishing Brush" from A Fine Pair of Shoes.

Great for the last "hand" for your shoes. I used it in my Church's Grafton in cordovan without any moisturer or cream and had a nice surprise.

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_1254.JPG

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-Post from the Cheaney thread:

Last December I bought a pair of Cheaney's Jarrow Tundra Waxy Suede boots, drew with the very nice "tanned" colour as they were shown in their product photos:

1616712759707.png

The real ones that I received are very, very much lighter in colour, something that I would call a "coffee milkshake" with a lot of milk on it: I was somehow disappointed, as it proved to be harder to combine with my usual outfits.

9f337f57b4f4383bb8e1a5260e58b29a.jpg

Light changes their colour quite a lot, and I wasn't happy with the "milkshake" one...

36fee93b5c2a04847ccbba94d457d84f.jpg

I asked in different forums how to get a darker tone without having to dye them. As I didn't get any suitable answer, I decided to experiment with a DIY home experiment: as what I had in my mind was a darker tone of coffee, why not try with some coffee to purposely "stain" my boots?

Jarrow proceso 1.jpg

Instead of making a dark coffee, I decided to use the grounded coffee beams without water, just rubbing them to see what would result...

Jarrow proceso 2..jpg

It was a "kitchen work" that I repeated a few times after brushing them to remove the excess grounded coffee and, as final intent, I decided to steam them to get some humidity that would reinforce the "staining" process. As a final step, hard brushing and a vacuum cleaner...

The outcome was better than I thought: they acquired a different colour tone, without seeming dyed even though they still lighter than the Cheaney's product images, more of a light polo suede colour:

Jarrow version final 1.jpg

I hope you like my DIY experiment and the final result...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-Post from the Cheaney thread:

Last December I bought a pair of Cheaney's Jarrow Tundra Waxy Suede boots, drew with the very nice "tanned" colour as they were shown in their product photos:

The real ones that I received are very, very much lighter in colour, something that I would call a "coffee milkshake" with a lot of milk on it: I was somehow disappointed, as it proved to be harder to combine with my usual outfits.

9f337f57b4f4383bb8e1a5260e58b29a.jpg

Light changes their colour quite a lot, and I wasn't happy with the "milkshake" one...

36fee93b5c2a04847ccbba94d457d84f.jpg

I asked in different forums how to get a darker tone without having to dye them. As I didn't get any suitable answer, I decided to experiment with a DIY home experiment: as what I had in my mind was a darker tone of coffee, why not try with some coffee to purposely "stain" my boots?

Jarrow proceso 1.jpg

Instead of making a dark coffee, I decided to use the grounded coffee beams without water, just rubbing them to see what would result...

Jarrow proceso 2..jpg

It was a "kitchen work" that I repeated a few times after brushing them to remove the excess grounded coffee and, as final intent, I decided to steam them to get some humidity that would reinforce the "staining" process. As a final step, hard brushing and a vacuum cleaner...

The outcome was better than I thought: they acquired a different colour tone, without seeming dyed even though they still lighter than the Cheaney's product images, more of a light polo suede colour:

Jarrow version final 1.jpg

I hope you like my DIY experiment and the final result...
A brave and successful move! Congratulations on the outcome.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done! The final color is much better in my opinion.
Would be curious to know how they evolve with time if you care to share :)
I certainly will, the worst thing that could happen if they lose their new colour, is that I have to do it again. ;)

Jazzthief

Reaction score
Does anyone know where as a European I could purchase Brift-H shoe care products? I am just trying out different products to try to land on the ones I like the most and Brift-H is one of these products that I have seen a lot of praise for. However, I have not come across any stockists that sell their products outside of Japan. The Armoury once stocked their products, but not anymore.

Reaction score
A couple of shines I have worked on over the past few days.

Attachments

• c&jdmb1.jpg
    c&jdmb1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 32
  • c&jdmb2.jpg
    c&jdmb2.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 36
  • dm 1.jpg
    dm 1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 36
  • dm 2.jpg
    dm 2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 37
  • shocking 1.jpg
    shocking 1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 63
  • shocking 2.jpg
    shocking 2.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads