• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference?
From my point of view, I feel that even though both fell in the same boots category and that the differences might be subtle, the main one between chukka and desert boots is that the latter tends to be lighter in weight as most would be unlined and has a floppier upper. An essential component of most deserts boots is that they have crepe rubber soles, most chukkas would have leather or Dainite, usually lined and more structured with a sturdier construction type.

Origin can also be considered:

On the one side, "The style can trace its origin back to the sport of Polo where a Chukker or Chukka is a seven and a half minute playing period. Chukka boots themselves also resemble the Jodhpur style worn by Polo players and they became very popular among off-duty players thanks to their high levels of comfort.",

On the other, "the Clark’s Desert boot was inspired by the boots worn by British Army soldiers during the Western Desert Campaign of the second world war. These boots were manufactured for British Army officers in Cario’s Khan el-Khalili bazaar and featured distinctive crepe rubber soles"

A chukka can be more easily dressed up and wore with more formal attires, the desert boot is quite informal and normally would be used only with jeans, chinos or corduroys. I wouldn't use a desert boot with flannel trousers but certainly would with proper chukka boots.

To illustrate what for me are the differences, from the same brand:

Loake Sahara desert boots:

Image114_967e93a0-f2e4-4833-ba94-8b8d60a1c43c.jpg

Loake Pimlico chukka boots:

pimds-1.jpg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From my point of view, I feel that even though both fell in the same boots category and that the differences might be subtle, the main one between chukka and desert boots is that the latter tends to be lighter in weight as most would be unlined and has a floppier upper. An essential component of most deserts boots is that they have crepe rubber soles, most chukkas would have leather or Dainite, usually lined and more structured with a sturdier construction type.

Origin can also be considered:

On the one side, "The style can trace its origin back to the sport of Polo where a Chukker or Chukka is a seven and a half minute playing period. Chukka boots themselves also resemble the Jodhpur style worn by Polo players and they became very popular among off-duty players thanks to their high levels of comfort.",

On the other, "the Clark’s Desert boot was inspired by the boots worn by British Army soldiers during the Western Desert Campaign of the second world war. These boots were manufactured for British Army officers in Cario’s Khan el-Khalili bazaar and featured distinctive crepe rubber soles"

A chukka can be more easily dressed up and wore with more formal attires, the desert boot is quite informal and normally would be used only with jeans, chinos or corduroys. I wouldn't use a desert boot with flannel trousers but certainly would with proper chukka boots.

To illustrate what for me are the differences, from the same brand:

Loake Sahara desert boots:

Image114_967e93a0-f2e4-4833-ba94-8b8d60a1c43c.jpg

Loake Pimlico chukka boots:

pimds-1.jpg

That sums it up nicely. Both have a similar upper design.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, the usual recommendation with Astorflex is to go down at least half a size, as I have slim and low instep feet. As my usual size is 6 UK and it seems that this is their smallest size, it looks that I would not be able to try any of their models.

On the other hand, even though they might be cousins, I would not compare desert boots to chukkas as they have a different character not only in shape but in use.

I read the same sizing advice however when I found a good deal in my true size I decided to take a chance and I found them to be a perfect fit. I honestly don’t think I could size down at all.

I do have quite wide feet however and a relatively normal instep I believe.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is exactly why I went with the Luther rather than the Hi-Top. The bumper outsole is quite conspicuous on these playboy chukkas so, IMO, the notched heel gives it a bit more definition than the almost wedge-like sole of the Hi-Top.

Then again, I could be wrong as I have not put a lot of thought into this. ??

You lead and I will follow. ??

Will do! I haven’t currently got any photos of my own but will start a thread for us all to appreciate desert and Chukka boots.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Done! Happy to acknowledge any input on the title. It’s the first thread I’ve ever started!

Hopefully it will start a good discussion about these iconic boots and help share some knowledge, reviews and of course great photos!

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Done! Happy to acknowledge any input on the title. It’s the first thread I’ve ever started!

Hopefully it will start a good discussion about these iconic boots and help share some knowledge, reviews and of course great photos!

I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, without much success...
It didn't include desert boots in the title. Let's hope yours will have more followers. ;)

CWV

Reaction score
Changing the topic. Could anyone instruct me on what loose grain is?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started a similar thread a couple of years ago, without much success...
It didn't include desert boots in the title. Let's hope yours will have more followers. ;)

Let’s hope so and sorry yours didn’t work out back then!

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Changing the topic. Could anyone instruct me on what loose grain is?

I don’t know the technical reason but it is where your get large prominent creases which differ in appearance from normal creases.

I think it is usually due to less optimal parts of a hide being used when making a shoe. Some parts of the hide have more tendency to crease than others.

Some leathers just do this and it is considered part of the character I believe. I think it can happen with CXL but don’t quote me on that.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know the technical reason but it is where your get large prominent creases which differ in appearance from normal creases.

I think it is usually due to less optimal parts of a hide being used when making a shoe. Some parts of the hide have more tendency to crease than others.

Some leathers just do this and it is considered part of the character I believe. I think it can happen with CXL but don’t quote me on that.

Correct, depends on the part of the animal where the hide is from. Belly hide for instance has very loose grain, which is considered to be of inferior quality..

CWV

Reaction score
Correct, depends on the part of the animal where the hide is from. Belly hide for instance has very loose grain, which is considered to be of inferior quality..
But I still don’t get what it is. A deep crease? Why is that “loose”? And what it is it’s relation with the grain?

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I still don’t get what it is. A deep crease? Why is that “loose”? And what it is it’s relation with the grain?

CXL_grain_break.jpg

veck1.jpeg

Some reading:

CWV

Reaction score
CXL_grain_break.jpg

veck1.jpeg

Some reading:
GREat thx!

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically, loose grain is indicated by deep, profound creasing, especially very early on in the shoe's life. All shoes become creased, but tighter grained leather shoes that creasing less.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads