1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. mycloud

mycloud Member

Thank you so much. It means that more brushing than conditioning. It sounds good at the moment because the leather is still new, fresh and not fade. Maybe after two weeks or one month, I will need to apply shoe cream on my shoes again.

2. PParker ESQ

PParker ESQ Well-Known Member

If you create a mirror shine over the toe-caps, the process of building layer upon layer of wax polish should smooth over the graze. From looking at your shoes it is going to take many layers to cover it.

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Do what the "professionals" do:get a "repair crayon"--made specifically for leather and shoemaking and also for furniture repair...or as a less desirable but considering it's black, possible alternative, a regular crayon...and fill the "hole."

Gently warm the crayon and apply liberally and firmly to the damaged area. When fully cool, take a soft cloth and "burnish' off the excess--til the fill is level with the surrounding leather. Now you can spit-shine over the damaged area. Or in your case just shine with regular shoe polish.

This usually only works over areas of the shoe that are stiffened--the toe and heel to be more specific.

Shoe factories keep repair crayons in 10 million colours (probably an over-statement despite that being what the human eye can see) and the shade and tonal variations between a big box of red red crayons, for instance,are very subtle and for all intents and purposes nearly infinite.

1 person likes this.
  4. cchaplow

cchaplow Active Member

[​IMG]
    It may be hard to discern in the pic. I went over the upper portion(everything except the front toe and vamp) of the left boot with a deer bone, then brushed and buffed. The deer boned portion is now slightly dull. I have buffed repeatedly trying to get the shine back to no avail. These are new boots and I couldn't resist messing with them. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5. cchaplow

cchaplow Active Member

After thinking about it I guess it makes sense. I bought some Saphir cordovan cream polish and will give it a go.

6. geekhou05

geekhou05 New Member

Hi Everyone

I decided to polish my Cole Haan shoes today and Meltonian London tan creme polish and in the process of wiping, the color basically came off....

What do I need to do in order to bring these back or are they a lost cause?!

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    `

7. ClosetEvolution

ClosetEvolution Senior member

@geekhou05
    I'm no expert, but my $.02 is that it's not a lost cause. I would clean them well first ( I use saddle soap on cheaper shoes,though I know some here say it's not good for the leather). Then I would apply again with very little cream polish per layer, brush, apply, brush, apply etc. and finish with a buffing. If that doesn't work, try a different brand of polish. I use Saphir

1 person likes this.
  8. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

The shoes were spray painted brown, so I guess you could just spray paint them brown again.

1 person likes this.
  9. geekhou05

geekhou05 New Member

Wow

Is that normal for Cole Haan? I have other pairs and they are fine.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

11. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Thanks chaps - I'll consider this and do what I can.

Incidentally, I have a scuff on my C&J Hallam shoes and asked C&J guy in Jermyn St - he said to bring them in and they can sort of fairly quickly. Shame Meermin don't have a London store!!

12. bloodybrilliant

bloodybrilliant Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    After cleaning

BB

3 people like this.
  13. ByTheOcean

ByTheOcean Active Member

Do you think it's possible to do a mirror shine on boat shoes? If it is, where?

14. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Desi Montez

Desi Montez Well-Known Member

Just received my first deer bone for my shell, and was wondering how should it be stored, is there any risk of just keeping it in my drawer without any cover?

16. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

[​IMG]

:rotflmao:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  17. Munky

Munky Senior member

I am very keen to get a mirror shine on my Wellington Boots. And also on my flip flops. [​IMG]

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

Life gets more difficult by the day. xx

19. ByTheOcean

ByTheOcean Active Member

Oh god, that was extremely ugly...I was thinking brown ones.

Also, these look more like patent leather.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016