1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. solelover

solelover Member

Should I try the medium brown, or dark brown cream? Or tobacco?

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

For whatever reason I have neglected "taking care" of my shoes and only have been brushing before and after wearing and putting some polish on the toes and heels. I cannot notice a decreeable difference in their state. The older I get I see less and less reason to devote time to shoe "care".

3 people like this.
  3. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Your "neglect" is more than most people do though.

I like putting a mirror shine one one pair of shoes a week.... usually sunday night when my wife is at dinner at her grandparents with the kids.

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Without getting into the question of "why?", how difficult would it be to dye a pair of boots like this to be purple?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

5. Munky

Munky Senior member

This is an odd video. Oliver Sweeney's 'cobbler in chief' uses huge amounts of product. He also appears to move, freely, between sole and upper, when applying his various potions.

1 person likes this.
  6. takashi78

takashi78 Senior member

That is whole lotta lotion he is using!

7. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Thanks chaps, should have thought of that before posting. I'll take a snap this evening and post.

Cheers

8. 1up

1up Senior member

I dropped a spattering of toothpaste on some suede boots. I tried rubbing with water and a cloth and then brushing with a suede brush, but it's still present.

I then tried using collonil bamboo extract cleaner, but now it seems like the stain is brought to the surface, and I still can't get it out.

Should I try soap + water?

9. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Check a few posts back, there was some extensive discussion on suede cleaning with a water + shampoo solution. Works great.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Finally found a store around here that have Saphir products, I'm very pleased with the result.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Would you recommend using the Saphir cream on Red WIng boots (Fetaherstone leather)? Red Wing doesn't sell to other places their cream, they don't accept international credit cards. Or should Alden Boot Cream would work better?

12. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Normally, I would try some diluted blue dye. These are so red, I'm afraid that my results would be either very much "plum" instead of purple. And if I used enough blue to balance the red, I'm afraid they'd be nearly black.
    Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated.

13. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

If my question is beyond the scope of expertise here, could someone please point me somewhere else to ask this question?
    Thank you.

14. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

You could try and bleach them first. I'm pretty sure someone bleached and re-dyed a pair of shoes somewhere on SF. Sorry, I don't remember what they used to strip out the majority of the original color.

There is this old thread, but its not the one I'm thinking of.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/28204/changing-the-color-of-black-leather-shoes

And there was this guide on reddit, but again not the one I remember:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio..._to_lighten_black_leather_shoes_to_a_natural/

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Thank you. After reading these articles, it looks more likely that this is possible to do.
    I've used acetone to strip the finish of a few other pairs in the past. It doesn't usually lighten the base leather much if it's been dyed.
    I've read that regular bleach is not good for the leather. I've used a leather bleach (oxalic acid) in the past, and it did not achieve much lightening. Perhaps it was too dilute.
    I haven't given up on this idea yet!

16. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I'm pretty sure the guy I'm thinking of used something specifically for shoes or leather. If I find the article, I'll post a reply or PM you.

1 person likes this.
  17. firefit

firefit Senior member

Alright, I'm slightly confused here. I have just recently bought a pair of used AE cordovan macneil's in cordovan shell, and I've been really hesistant to purchase products for it. People on the forums have said not to use cream polish, just wax polish. I was thinking about buying saphir renovateur medaille d'or 1925... But it says not to use a nuetral color for the cordovan shell? I'm really confused with this. Heres the routine I was thinking of doing (i had spoken to murlsquirl): Purchase two brushes, and one chamois... Use first brushes to clean/remove dust/dirt, then apply Saphir Renovateur medaille d'or 1925 (still nuetral?) and then proceed to buff it out evenly after it dries? Can you also link the products? Thanks!

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I would say your hesitance is the right instinct. Are there scuffs? Discoloration a? Does it look really dry? If the answer to these questions is no, simply wipe down with a damp cloth and brush to a shine without any product. Some like a bit of paste wax on the toe to repel water drops.

I would say use a conditioner like Saphir cordovan cream (not Renovateur, that'll dry out the leather) maybe once a year depending on frequency of wear.

19. cchaplow

cchaplow Active Member

Could you explain why/how renovateur would dry out the shell? Would it also dry out regular cowhide leathers? Curious since I have been using it periodically on a pair of my shell shoes and I would hate to be doing harm.

20. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

I think he's alluding to Renovateur having turpentine in it, which is supposedly bad for shell.

Here's a good shell cordovan polishing guide by @hangerproject

https://www.hangerproject.com/shoe-care-guide/polishing-shell-cordovan/