• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know what he's talking about. Honestly, it only happens when I use a very oily product like Glen's cream. As we all know you oil up your shoes even further so it might exacerbate the issue. These coconut oil polishes take a while to really dry and get absorbed, sometimes just letting them sit and then brushing will do it, other times a dab (literally like 1/4" of a pea) size amount of reno will pick up fine lint.

ragnr

Reaction score
I want to apply wax to my shoes made of cordovan. Can I use the regular pate de luxe from Saphir in a similar colour?
I've read somewhere that pigmented cream for calf doesn't work with cordovan, but do wax work for both?

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just picked up a pair of shoes off the bay. thoughts on the condition?

how do the soles look?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

mry8s

Reaction score
No no no Christian, you're not getting me right. I have this problem where lint from applicator cloth, along with the product (polish, conditioner, lotion), sticks and adhere to the surface, and are annoying as ****.

As of shoe bags, it depends. Some required laundering before use.

get lint-free applicators and cloths. wash them separately from all your other laundry. I hear people like the Selvyt stuff. From their site:
http://www.selvyt.co.uk/selvyt-cloths/polishing-cloths/

Quote:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People, try Kiwi shoe cloths and be amazed how much lint it ***** away.

Selvyt cloth is cool. I'll try and get more of those.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Small applicator brushes leave no lint.

And neither do fingers (my preferred applicator).

And FWIW...I use flannel for bulling--no lint.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't ever remember having a problem with lint when using cotton diapers.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Selvyt cloths won't shed lint, but Kiwi "flannel" cloth shed lints on a daily basis.

Sometimes certain care products require a cloth instead of a brush (like liquid lotions), and I have less than ideal choice.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DW, I think the effect of dampening the cloth in spit shining caused the nap to lay flat and smooth, and hence would not shed lint so violently, so, if might be different to applying shoe creams and conditioners.

ktown

Reaction score
Should I just use polish on sole edges to turn them brown again? Or do I need edge dressing? Or just leave alone?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads