1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:The difference between what you just did and PB/DWF do is they provide information to back up an experienced point of view - you just provided a useless opinion.

1 person likes this.
  2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ah yes, mistype! Thanks for the correction!

3. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    5 people like this.
  4. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Now THAT is a useful (and extremely interesting) post. Apologies for the snark, but I'm not here enough to recognize many names, and browsing on phones doesn't show a lot of post history. A three-word reply leaves me with nothing, and it is the kind of of thing I hate about internet forums, and I let that rob me of my manners. Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out!

2 people like this.
  5. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

@rbhan12 I have followed Glen's instructions (J.Crew coconut oíl shampoo mixed with distilled water) for a long time with good results. Do you add any other ingredient to your homemade shampoo fórmula (such as more coconut oil) in order to increase the effects of the conditioner. I do not think that the formula of J.Crew shampoo does contéin much coconut oíl to nurture enough the leather.

6. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Nope, I don't add anything to it. It doesn't make sense to me to add oil to a concoction that contains detergent. I was given a bottle of Famaco suede conditioning spray, but I've never used it. I remember reading a long time back that suede doesn't need much conditioner, but rather to be kept clean.

1 person likes this.
  7. rakuskus

rakuskus Member

does mirror shine make leather dry? the wax does cover the leather and prevent the leather to breathe

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

To be fair though, you really have no idea what is in Saphir suede shampoo. "Shampoo" is a marketing term that they are using because the concept is familiar. There could be something else going on, but nobody really knows.

9. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Sure, though I'll take my chances with what I know. If someone is so kind as to send me a bottle, I'd be happy to do some analytical experiments to find out what's in it.

10. solelover

solelover Member

Left my boots over this summer by window. And the right boot must of gotten way more sun than the left. So my right boot is way lighter in color. Any advice to get both boots pretty close. It's cognac calfskin. Thanx

11. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Cream polish

12. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Quote:How much would you need to run your tests?

13. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Put the left boot in the window.

3 people like this.
  14. solelover

solelover Member

So I applied renovateur and applied Saphir cognac cream in my right boot. Still my left is darker...not sure about leaving my left boot out in the sun. I guess I'm just going to keep putting more cream. Hopefully it will darken

15. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

I'm not certain to be honest, though the more the better. I would need to evaporate the water and run experiments on what's left behind. I'm guessing it's about 99% water and 1% stuff.

16. neelp3

neelp3 Senior member

I'm looking to dye a pair of Alden tan suede boots to be closer to snuff suede.

I was thinking of going with rust or light brown or British tan? Will one be closer than another? Or would it be better to mix rust or British tan with light brown?

17. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

You need a much darker coloured cream. I once had a pair of tan brogues with the colour faded over a few years cause I used only neutral back then. My cobbler suggested a very dark chocolate. I was very skeptical but it worked like a charm.

18. JohnnyMarr

JohnnyMarr Well-Known Member

Hello all - minor disaster for me; my lovely Meermin boots have a hideous scratch to the leather right on the toe. Would some form of decent wax or polish help, or is there someone good in London that I could get to fix it somehow?

19. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

Other than a recommendation for London, you'll need to post a picture or two for any real help.

20. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Depends on how deep those scratches are. As M635Guy said, a picture would help tremendously.

Having said that, there is a recent example over at the Edward Green thread:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

http://www.styleforum.net/t/291745/...ures-info-and-where-to-buy/28050#post_8538499

1 person likes this.