• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't done a full re-sole before, just heels as they get worn out. 1) Do you think it's necessary to do a full resole for the shoes attached? 2) Will continue using these shoes without a full resole permanently damage the structure of the shoes? The bottom of the soles are not "squishy" nor does it look to be in a circular motion, which are signs that a resole is necessary.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Looks like you've worn the sole to the point that your welt is getting worn. You would likely have to get those re-welted in addition to resoled.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I haven't done a full re-sole before, just heels as they get worn out. 1) Do you think it's necessary to do a full resole for the shoes attached? 2) Will continue using these shoes without a full resole permanently damage the structure of the shoes? The bottom of the soles are not "squishy" nor does it look to be in a circular motion, which are signs that a resole is necessary. 
You definitely need a resole of some kind--a half sole (if you're one of those people :crackup: ) would probably do it.

But you're almost though the outsole and damaging the welt and inseam in that one photo (from the side). Once you do wear though...and it could happen tomorrow...dirt and oils and so forth start entering into the space between the insole and the outsole and even more damage...irreversible damage...is to be expected.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pot of Renapur, which contains: "Our formula of natural waxes and oils, such as Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil. I have used it once or twice, with good effect. Does it sound like the sort of thing we should be putting on our shoes?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I have been using it for years, for shoes, bike leathers, all sorts. Just a tiny, tiny amount, and very rarely. It seems to keep leather very supple in these tiny amounts. I've had the same small pot since 2005.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pot of Renapur, which contains: "Our formula of natural waxes and oils, such as Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil. I have used it once or twice, with good effect. Does it sound like the sort of thing we should be putting on our shoes?
Once per annual or semi annual, when your shoes are full of gummed up waxes and what not, after a long stripping and cleaning, you may want to apply the balm lightly with your fingers, and rub it in very very well. Le tit dry for a day or two, then polish. And that's pretty much how it can be use on dress shoes.

With casual shoes, just clean the shoes with a damp cloth, then wipe the stuff across.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using it for years, for shoes, bike leathers, all sorts. Just a tiny, tiny amount, and very rarely. It seems to keep leather very supple in these tiny amounts. I've had the same small pot since 2005.

It seems a pretty good investment to me for 12 pounds.
biggrin.gif
. Do you condition your shoes just with that Mimo?

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@nutcracker , I recall a very, very long time ago, you posted a Japanese made shell cordovan wax dressing used for currying, just how does that work, for you, and for most users? And, to what degree of effectiveness would you say the product is?

Mead

Reaction score
I recently discovered that Suede shampoo is a great to clean suede shoes, and then use the spray

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
It seems a pretty good investment to me for 12 pounds.
biggrin.gif
. Do you condition your shoes just with that Mimo?

I bought it for 5 from a promo stand at a motorcycle show!

Yes, just brush, wipe down with a damp cloth, and then the faintest touch of this stuff on the standard sponge (silicon?). Then leave it for a while. It works its own way in over hours. Then I just polish them normally.

As I've said before, though, I don't think shoes need this very much - unless you get them soaked or something. I'd happily leave shoes for a year without any more attention than a horsehair brush.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A 200ml pot of Renapur costs £12 and is said to be useful for up to 500 pairs of shoes. For those who want further economy, or are going on a very long holiday, they also do a smaller 'travel' pot (50ml) for £5.99. If you have several thousand pairs of shoes, you can get the litre bucket for £48. Fun for all the family!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have a pot of Renapur, which contains: "[COLOR=666666]Our formula of natural waxes and oils, such as Beeswax, Carnauba wax, Jojoba oil and Avocado oil. I have used it once or twice, with good effect. Does it sound like the sort of thing we should be putting on our shoes?[/COLOR]

Munky,

What brings all those disparate ingredients together? The carnauba and beeswax won't mix with the jojoba and avocado oils by themselves. And the carnauba is particularly hard...by its nature.

Heat? A solvent?

The packaging materials doesn't say. Does that mean there are no other ingredients except those listed? I am doubtful. But if so, why couldn't you make your own?

--

Last edited:

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score
Munky,

What brings all those disparate ingredients together? The carnauba and beeswax won't mix with the jojoba and avocado oils by themselves. And the carnauba is particularly hard...by its nature.

Heat? A solvent?

The packaging materials doesn't say. Does that mean there are no other ingredients except those listed? I am doubtful. But if so, why couldn't you make your own?

--

No added solvent is needed to mix carnuba, beeswax, avocado and jojoba oil. They are all non-polar molecules which means they will soluble in each other, they really aren't very disparate, the difference between a wax and a oil is just the length of the carbon chain. They could easily be mixed by simply melting the solid beeswax and carnuba and stirring it together with the oils. The hardness is would simply be dependent on the ratio of oils to waxes.

It should be quite easy to make your own, if you wanted to I would think a double boiler would be best, and simply just play around with the ratios of the ingredients until you find something you like.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No added solvent is needed to mix carnuba, beeswax, avocado and jojoba oil. They are all non-polar molecules which means they will soluble in each other, they really aren't very disparate, the difference between a wax and a oil is just the length of the carbon chain. They could easily be mixed by simply melting the solid beeswax and carnuba and stirring it together with the oils.  The hardness is would simply be dependent on the ratio of oils to waxes. 

It should be quite easy to make your own, if you wanted to I would think a double boiler would be best, and simply just play around with the ratios of the ingredients until you find something you like.

+1

Last edited:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought it for 5 from a promo stand at a motorcycle show!

Yes, just brush, wipe down with a damp cloth, and then the faintest touch of this stuff on the standard sponge (silicon?). Then leave it for a while. It works its own way in over hours. Then I just polish them normally.

As I've said before, though, I don't think shoes need this very much - unless you get them soaked or something. I'd happily leave shoes for a year without any more attention than a horsehair brush.
Thanks. I do not polish much my shoes. Lot of brush and some conditioners as a regular basis.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads