1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior member

Gotcha. Well, that's a shame. There's certainly nothing wrong with the silhouette or style, just the quality of their most readily-available models.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

At £120 a pair, I think these were mostly certainly one of their cheaper models. Compared to some, British, High Street shoes, I thought they were quite well made. Not up there with my Trickers but nice to knock around in, in the coming summer. But all is lost, given Mrs Munky's repulsion at the sight of them. [​IMG]

3. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior member

You could wear them surreptitiously...

4. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Senior member

I'm glad you're going to stick to your effeminate style; I also rather see, there is a clear visible difference between the sorts of us.
    (by the way, the picture you shared from the storage of your mind; it really speaks great lengths about your cogs and screws).

As for boots, I managed to find a recent winter picture of me in knee high black leather boots; very comfortable in our climate, where we have winds of 80km/h (50mph).
    This particular boots are the heaviest I have; made of thick leather (almost "saddle" grade) and with double leather sole with an outer protective rubber half-sole.
    I don't feel any inclination towards lecturing anyone; we (family) are wearing knee high boots for centuries; the only difference is that the shaft is currently under the trouser.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Easy, tigers...let's play nice...They are only boots and they are only shoes...

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

I could wear them with galoshes, perhaps...especially nice for our holiday is Sunny Spain. [​IMG]

7. Nikolaus

Nikolaus Senior member

galoshes? Spain? that would be calling for moldy feet [​IMG]

8. Munky

Munky Senior member

A little mould can't come between a man and his desired shoes.

9. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Kent Wang shoe trees on MassDrop!

[​IMG]

10. brewski

brewski Active Member

So I bought a pair of "cordovan" Wolverine 1000 Miles on eBay, they were a shop display set. Got them for $140. What color do you think these are (I'm leaning toward Rust) and how do you care for cordovan vs regular leather? My concern is that these are not actually cordovan due to the coloring and the low shine on the boots, but that could be due to no polishing/brushing, I think.

[​IMG]

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Definitely not shell cordovan. Looks like chromexcel to me.

Beware of shady use of the word "cordovan" on eBay. While technically it is an outdated term for burgundy, in reality, these sellers are trying to trick you.

Could still be cool boots for that price tho...

12. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Senior member

Agree. Search on ebay for cordovan and there is a shit ton of stuff that come up that is advertised as cordovan that is not.

But those do look like nice boots anyway.

13. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Cordovan is a color, shell cordovan is a type of leather/membrane. Those are not shell cordovan.

1 person likes this.
  14. solelover

solelover Member

Hey guys! Anybody out there help with my shoes?!?! Seems like the creases on my shoes are like rolls. I always use shoe trees and use MDO renovateur and MDO shoe cream.

[​IMG]

15. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Creasing is completely normal and expected for any high quality leather shoe.

1 person likes this.
  16. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Yep, those look good.

1 person likes this.
  17. solelover

solelover Member

I'm cool with the crease in leather. But the rolls seem odd? Maybe not a good fit for my feet?

18. atia2

atia2 Senior member

I don't see anything other than normal creasing here. Furthermore, the creases run horizontally, which is is a good sign. Non-horizontal creasing is an indicator of poor fit.

19. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Do you mean that there are tops and bottoms between the creases? That might be an indicator that it actually is a good fit. If you are used to there only being only one line of creasing, that might be a result of too much space in the vamp and a bad fit. Not always, but sometimes.

20. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

To a casual observer the rolls make them look more like shell.