• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MonotovsOpera

Reaction score
Storm welt is what you see on most boots (the rugged ones) where the welt is 2 piece (or split). I borrowed a pic I found on this thread. this is a 360* storm welt. Your dress shoes which are GY welted don't have this.
That's incorrect. It's important to differentiate between a storm welt and a split welt, as well as between construction techniques and welts. A storm welt is a type of welt, which can be used on Goodyear welted or handwelted constructions.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
MonotovsOpera has it right...

And unless I misunderstand what is being referred to, split welt is not two piece. No welt, that I know of, is two piece.

Both storm welt and spit welt are one piece of leather split along one edge.The only difference between the "storm welt" and split welt is that split edge on the storm welt is a little thinner on one half and then, as it is pushed up, it is wet-"formed" into a barrier roll.

Split welt...which I and every shoemaker I have ever run across also called "storm welt"...is partially split in exactly the same manner, but the turned up/ turned back edge is a little thicker and left as a flat upright "bar."

Both would be inseamed in exactly the same manner whether by hand or by machine (GY).

The following photos are of some split storm welt that I made from scratch...spur of the moment and with less than optimal leather.

Rolled/formed storm welt cannot...or is not ordinarily or easily...be made by hand. It requires a machine to form the leather into the roll.

Last edited:

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, WADR, I wouldn't count on it. Have you ever heard of Groupthink? I'm not saying good or bad about any particular outfit...just that, again, it is unwise to accept the common doxology. And the more common it is, the more suspect.

You are making the task of finding a cobbler to add metal tips to my shoes nearly impossible lol. My indecisiveness combined with your skepticism is a lethal combination.

I have used bnelson several times and been very happy...they will do a fine job with your toe taps.

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question: is 2 pairs of shoes "enough" for the 5-day work week?

i know 3+ is optimal, but is wearing a pair every other day OK or will they break down quickly?

thanks!

emidyl

Reaction score
question: is 2 pairs of shoes "enough" for the 5-day work week?

i know 3+ is optimal, but is wearing a pair every other day OK or will they break down quickly?

thanks!
that is not nearly enough.
crackup[1].gif

You def need a black cap, brown version with maybe some quarter broguing, longwings, a brown suede version is a must to soften any outfit. Pr of Dmonks also a must in choice of material.
Then you have to carry at least a couple pr of boots.
You get the idea...realistically if they "breakdown" then you're going to need a 3rd pr to be backup when the other is in the shop, assuming you are wearing repairable shoes (read good quality GY perhaps)

But if you need for 5 day business attire, I think at least 3-4pr but that's just me, I enjoy mixing it up. I have some shoes that are once a week.

Last edited:

pnewelljr

Reaction score
So some how I still have the ability to return these Cheaney Chelsea boots I recently bought, despite wearing them a few times. Now is the moment of truth. They feel comfortable pretty much everywhere, but the heel is loose. Just a little. When sitting I can slide my foot back and forth (just a little), and the heel slips a little bit when I walk. I have never had a goodyear welted shoe, and heard that slipping is normal initially. Should I return these and take the chance sizing down, or will they break in and not slip? The joys of buying Cheaney shoes in America because there is no local place to try them on...

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So some how I still have the ability to return these Cheaney Chelsea boots I recently bought, despite wearing them a few times. Now is the moment of truth. They feel comfortable pretty much everywhere, but the heel is loose. Just a little. When sitting I can slide my foot back and forth (just a little), and the heel slips a little bit when I walk. I have never had a goodyear welted shoe, and heard that slipping is normal initially. Should I return these and take the chance sizing down, or will they break in and not slip? The joys of buying Cheaney shoes in America because there is no local place to try them on...

First, I suspect that every shoe you've ever owned has been Goodyear welted, unless you've limited yourself to really...I mean really...cheap cement construction or athletic shoes. These days, nearly every welted shoe from Walmart to Northampton is GY welted.

Second, heel slippage is not a default on any shoe. On some pull-on boots, with a more or less un-cupped heel stiffener some initial slippage is to be expected. But on shoes, the heel stiffener is shaped to fit the back of the last and your heel.

Given that, if the long heel is correct and the instep girth correct, the shoe should hold you firmly into the back of the shoe--it's a chelsea right? An elastic gore boot/shoe? All the more critical considering that you've no laces to compensate.

Now, you may never experience that kind of fit short of bespoke but no matter how you parse it, if you can slide your foot back and forth, the shoes don't fit you.

Last edited:

pnewelljr

Reaction score
First, I suspect that every shoe you've ever owned has been Goodyear welted, unless you've limited yourself to really...I mean really...cheap cement construction or athletic shoes. These days, nearly every welted shoe from Walmart to Northampton is GY welted.

Second, heel slippage is not a default on any shoe. On some pull-on boots, with a more or less un-cupped heel stiffener some initial slippage is to be expected but on shoes, the heel stiffener is shaped to fit the back of the last and your heel. Given that, if the long heel is correct and the instep girth correct, the shoe should hold you firmly into the back of the shoe--it's a chelsea right? An elastic gore boot/shoe? All the more critical given that you've no laces to compensate.

Now, you may never experience that kind of fit short of bespoke but no matter how you parse it, if you can slide your foot back and forth, the shoes don't fit you.
It's so hard to tell, but the sliding is only a little, like a very little. And yes it is a chelsea. So its hard for me to tell, is this just how a chelsea boot feels, or is this too loose. Grr

pnewelljr

Reaction score
It's so hard to tell, but the sliding is only a little, like a very little. And yes it is a chelsea. So its hard for me to tell, is this just how a chelsea boot feels, or is this too loose. Grr
What is worse, a shoe that is a little tight or one that is a little loose?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Comes down to what you want to tolerate, I suppose. I have no way of knowing what you mean by "a very little." Is the foot actually sliding or are you just shifting bones in the meat?

The foot doesn't need to be squeezed or compressed but any actual sliding is not good and potentially will get worse--every time the foot slides forward it stretches the leather over the instep just a tiny bit. And the next time it will be just that much more loose or ready to stretch.

It also suggests that the joint is not properly seating in the shoe...that the critical heel-ball measurement is slightly off.

You tell me...one thing for sure, a shoe that is slightly tight will either open up in wear or can be stretched. A shoe that is too loose can never be made smaller.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I prefer my shoes to not squeeze my foot too tightly. My feet don't slide, either. So I prefer a looser shoe, but not where the shoe rattles around on my foot.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I prefer my shoes to not squeeze my foot too tightly. My feet don't slide, either. So I prefer a looser shoe, but not where the shoe rattles around on my foot.

The thing is that by any objective definition...such as might be provided by a bespoke shoemaker :)...what you're describing is nothing more or less than a proper fit.

At which point, "loose and tight" ain't in it. As those are words that describe variances from a proper fit.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
The thing is that by any objective definition...such as might be provided by a bespoke shoemaker
smile.gif
...what you're describing is nothing more or less than a proper fit.

At which point, "loose and tight" ain't in it. As those are words that describe variances from a proper fit.
Good to know that my shoes are sized properly, haha! Go me!

I have shoes/boots that have pinched in areas during break in, but have relaxed. I actually just brought up this situation on this thread a week or two ago. That particular pair has relaxed and there is no pinching any longer. They are quite comfortable, now, and I'm actually wearing them today.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new pair of Tricker's shoes and they have a very, very thick sole. At the moment, my feet don't slip forward in them but there is a little movement at the heel. Otherwise, they are very comfortable. I was wondering if the soles need time to bend a little. I imagine that very thick soles on shoes may influence movement at the heel - the uppers are stitched to - initially - very hard and unbending soles. The soles on my Tricker's are probably as thick as the soles on many boots (they are thicker, for example, than the ones on my Loake Chester's). I would have thought that the soles on boots are subject to a different sort of leverage than is the case with shoes.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I have always bought size US 9.5 shoes. Just measured my own foot at exactly 10" of length which coverts to a US 8/8.5. These chelsea boots are UK 8.5 or US 9/9.5. Not conclusive, but interesting to me at least.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads