• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from the AE thread but I figured I would ask in here too,

I picked up these cordovan Bayfields from rydenfan and they had quickly developed a crease past the toe cap on the right shoe before I got them. I assume it happened on the first wear as they had no creases anywhere else and were basically brand new. I have been trying to shift the crease point to my natural position but it seem like a loosing battle and fights back to the toes, it's almost like the right foot did not have some sort of reinforcement for the toe cap far enough back.

I have already made peace with not being able to fix it and no one outside of the internet would even notice a crease past the toe cap haha.

Has anyone had something similar happen and had any success minimizing the crease?

Here is a pic of them fully flexed:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Defective toe box/ my feet are not made for the player last. Luckily mine were new/AE agreed to take them back and remake them. The player last just isn't made for my foot. So they're re-doing these into a Macneil. I lucked out big time as I though I was stuck with these but it never hurts to ask.

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cordovan and all other leather shoes are going to crease...not sure if that is definitively a defective toe box...as opposed to the natural properties of leather

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. Defective toe box/ my feet are not made for the player last. Luckily mine were new/AE agreed to take them back and remake them. The player last just isn't made for my foot. So they're re-doing these into a Macneil. I lucked out big time as I though I was stuck with these but it never hurts to ask.

Hmmmm, these were a MTO in Cappuccino cordovan so having them be remade would not be an option. I actually think with regular wear they will be fine, I honestly am ok with the creases now that some are actually forming behind the toe box. It takes some of the flexing load off the one in the toe box and I think it will get better with wear. These are still probably under 10 wears total.

cordovan and all other leather shoes are going to crease...not sure if that is definitively a defective toe box...as opposed to the natural properties of leather

I do believe this to be the case as well, just wondering if anyone had any success with shifting the main flex point (in this case, started as the crease in the toe box) and minimizing creasing in the undesired area.

Last edited:

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm, these were a MTO in Cappuccino cordovan so having them be remade would not be an option. I actually think with regular wear they will be fine, I honestly am ok with the creases now that some are actually forming behind the toe box. It takes some of the flexing load off the one in the toe box and I think it will get better with wear. These are still probably under 10 wears total.

I do believe this more so t be the case as well, just wondering if anyone had any success with shifting the main flex point (in this case, started as the crease in the toe box) and minimizing creasing in the undesired area.
I understand the nature of cordovan and flexing but due to my instep/AE deeming it defective, it made the flexing happen in the toe box. I've never had this happen on any other shoes. Perhaps something in the construction process or maybe just their way of smoothing out the situation. If they would've told me I'm stuck with them I would've been fine. Not happy but fine with it. Consider yourself lucky to have Cappuccino shell in the first place. You'll probably be the only one who notices so I wouldn't sweat it.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the nature of cordovan and flexing but due to my instep/AE deeming it defective, it made the flexing happen in the toe box. I've never had this happen on any other shoes. Perhaps something in the construction process or maybe just their way of smoothing out the situation. If they would've told me I'm stuck with them I would've been fine. Not happy but fine with it. Consider yourself lucky to have Cappuccino shell in the first place. You'll probably be the only one who notices so I wouldn't sweat it.

This is totally how I look at it, zero people in real life notice the crease and I get compliments on them every time I wear them. They are my favorite boot! Maybe until I own a pair of Alden capt toe boots haha.

I am glad AE took care of you in your case as something for sure looked off, the number 2 last is one of the toughest lasts to size from what I could tell when trying it out. I have a pair of Eagle County boots that fit great yet crease past the toe, I suspect the last itself can sometimes cause the issue.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an innocent in these matters, given the problems that people seem to have with Cordovan, what are the advantages of shoes made of this?

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an innocent in these matters, given the problems that people seem to have with Cordovan, what are the advantages of shoes made of this?

Durability, beautiful depth of color, ease of shine, low maintenance overall (ie scuffs buff out easily), rolls rather than creases like calf.

Ever since my first pair this year I knew I was going to be hooked lol. The things we are talking about are construction and fit anomalies which I really suspect can be the case if the shoes were calf or cordovan. I think the pros or cordovan are pretty high, the one con I have heard about but have yet to experience is welting when getting caught in rain. I just have not been out when it has rained yet in any of my cordovan so I guess we'll see when the day comes.

I have 4 pairs of cordovan shoes/boots and at this point I am only looking at calf as a means to fill lighter colors in my collection. Light cordovan colors are very rare at the moment.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shell in the rain is awful. This weekend some drunk at a bar (well actually he was my high school bully, no joke) dropped a beer right on my shell Saint Crispins. I had to throw him a beating. It took a lot of elbow grease to get them to look decent again.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shell in the rain is awful. This weekend some drunk at a bar (well actually he was my high school bully, no joke) dropped a beer right on my shell Saint Crispins. I had to throw him a beating. It took a lot of elbow grease to get them to look decent again.

The revenge of the nerds?

Stirling

Reaction score

You're right, However, esp. if you don't use it real regular, the brass bristles (If they are brass) corrode...leaving stains on your leather.

Interesting, I didn't know that. I favour the brass brush myself, mine must be pushing over 10 years old and is as shiny as the day I got it.

the rubber one is used to remove stains. the brass one is for restoring the nap if it gets flatted (in the rain or such) but dont overdo it or you will end up with hairy shoes.

The rubber brush or crepe brush as it's often referred to, is excellent for nubuck.

Stirling

Reaction score

My cordovan cap toe bends on the right toe cap toe, it's really just how your foot bends in relation to the shoe.

Now I didn't make the rules but I do adhere to them within reason. If you find your shoes creasing in the toe box, it's a reasonable inference that the last is not for you. There can of course be limited exceptions and as Burzan said apart from the net (and perhaps the odd shoe buff) who's gonna notice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads