• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

benhour

Reaction score
There are threads where people describe lightly sanding off edge dressing. Nick V has said there are no gentle ways of getting it off. He says they avoid it at the shop to reduce the risk of errant dressing.

Perhaps stay away from it except on black shoes?

i use black and brown dye for the heels and applying it with a paint brush and i have never had a problem!!! the only thing i do all the time is having the dye bottle at a high below shoes (so not to spill it on them) and wipe off excess dye of the brush at the bottle before applying!!

but because of drawing and painting i have a steady hand so i think this is a + for me not having an accident till now!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any Alden Leather Defender users on here?

Is it worth using?

Have you used it on both calf and shell?

Last edited:

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are there any Alden Leather Defender users on here?

Is it worth using?

Have you used it on both calf and shell?

Pm Sevenfoldtieguy. He may not read this thread. He has a massive shell collection and if I'm not mistaken, he applies leather defender to all his shell.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What are the very basics of shoe care?

It depends on the type of leather, if it is shell then you have to bone it, but first you have to get your bone hard and smooth enough, I rub my bone good and hard every night just to be sure.

OREO

Reaction score
I'v been experimenting with doing a mirror finish on the toes of my Jeffery West shoes. I achieved the finish i wanted but being a complete idiot i installed toe taps and the hammer blows caused the polish to crack. I then tried to remove the polish with alcohol and then saddle soap and it isn't working. I'v ordered Saphir renomat and i'm gonna strip the toes and start again. I'v been using shoe cream followed by saphir pate de lux wax (But once i strip i'm going to use saphir dubbin, renovateur, then cream, then wax).
Does anyone know of a way to Gently remove the wax? Bearing in mind that with a mirror finish the coat of wax is very thick. I would also like to start waxing my other shoes, but i'm concerned about drying out the leather.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
I have a question that I haven't been able to find anywhere in the thread.

I am wondering if anyone here uses ( or recommends using) Venetian shoe cream on their calf skin? I have a pair of shell shoes I am planning on using it on, but its pretty expensive to ship to Canada, and I'd like to use it for more than just my shell. Is this possible?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'v been experimenting with doing a mirror finish on the toes of my Jeffery West shoes. I achieved the finish i wanted but being a complete idiot i installed toe taps and the hammer blows caused the polish to crack. I then tried to remove the polish with alcohol and then saddle soap and it isn't working. I'v ordered Saphir renomat and i'm gonna strip the toes and start again. I'v been using shoe cream followed by saphir pate de lux wax (But once i strip i'm going to use saphir dubbin, renovateur, then cream, then wax).
Does anyone know of a way to Gently remove the wax? Bearing in mind that with a mirror finish the coat of wax is very thick. I would also like to start waxing my other shoes, but i'm concerned about drying out the leather.

Just use acetone, leather deglazer, leather dye preparer, etc. Don't need to use dubbin but just renovateur or some other conditioner.

The other gentle way to remove wax is to use high grit count (600+) sandpaper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads