1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MGoCrimson

MGoCrimson Senior member

Have you gone through all your GK conditioner already or just always looking for different products to try?

2. Craft

Craft Member

@David Copeland thank you sirI have actually already begun to accumulate a collection so as to at least have enough shoes for a7 day rotationnow they are nothing extraordinary brand wise But I find them very beautiful. I'm currently in the roughly 100 to 200 range they seem to be very nice and with the proper care I'm hoping they have a long life. I'm not sure what $500-1k pair of shoes offers but I hope to find out eventually but I'm sure a one hundred to $200 pair of shoes is not a "waste of money" thank you again sir

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  3. Craft

Craft Member

@Munky hello sir. I am aware that the answers me like Somewhere in this thread,however being 500 plus pages long and it being full of more back and forth argument type things among the members it's kind of difficult to find a specific answer I was looking for however I'm still looking through it and still doing the research. I apologize for the repeated questions I'm aware It can get rather annoying but I think you for not chewing me out and for you actually answering the one thing I was not too certain about.

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

A brief consultation, oh ye knowledgeable thread:

Swung a well-kept pair of vintage Florhseim Imperal v-cleats off the bay in a beautifully aged #8 cordo. It's gone very red w/ age. In getting them, there was considerable black polish caked into the rolls, which I am currently attempting to remove via a method Mac taught me years ago (lightly damp cloth, scrub the creases out, brush them vigorously afterward). However, I'm wondering what is going on here - have I deglazed the shell itself rather than just rubbing off old polish? What do I do from here - or is this all part of stripping old polish off the shell?

[​IMG]

5. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

The vigorous brushing has done the damage and taken the finish off. Try first applying some creme polish and then couple of thin layers of wax, buff lighty but thoroughly and see the results. AE cordovan creme in similar color is a good choice before Saphir.

6. El Argentino

Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought was happening. I have been moisturizing w/ Lexol conditioner over the entire vamp, and particularly the worn areas, and will proceed with the creams you suggested. Even with just the lexol and a bit of saphir cordovan creme, the blotches are already looking less menacing.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just curious, that's all. Fwiw, I've never used GK conditioner on my shoes. It's very much a cleaner conditioner and for the most part I don't think it's all that necessary if you're using the polishes, which have a lot oils in them all ready.

1 person likes this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

I disagree with that assessment. Looks like good ole wax build up to me.

9. El Argentino

Even with the texture change? The photo isn't super descriptive in that regard.

10. patrickBOOTH

Just looks like gunky buildup.

11. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

The creases may have some black wax left, certainly not the other areas of the vamp which has lost its finis.

12. patrickBOOTH

I wouldn't say any of that finish is lost. I don't know why you say this.

13. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Apologies for x post

Used Lord Sheraton Leather Balsam, Saphir Beaute Du Cuir, Dasco Reno, Punch neutral solid wax and Colonil Supreme Creme de Luxe

C & J Shoe Shine Shunday! Ready for a busy week. There is a cuckoo in the nest however....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Feryll

Feryll Well-Known Member

Does this look like it needs a resole ?
    [​IMG]

15. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

16. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

This

(miles of life)

17. stevent

stevent Senior member

Any idea what this is inside a new pair of shoes? Glue leftover?

[​IMG]

18. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I actually picked up three jars of GK (black, dark brown cream, and cleaner/conditioner) under the impression you really liked the product. Also, stopped using Reno based on your ill experience over the years...

Regarding GK I use the cleaner/conditioner for only the vamp while cream polish for the toe. Been working fine though I'm going to tone it down on the cleaner and apply polish regularly. I probably should give it more time to rest (like 10 min as stated in the website) prior to brushing. I usually just brush after finishing the application on the second shoe.

Fwiw and I think some of the frustration new members have is getting a straight answer from more senior members and regular contributors with experience. That and perhaps less snark and sarcasm. I find pB tends to so this and being a large contributor, some may take it to heart

Regarding new shoes, what would you put on the cap toe for protection from say a nick in the leather? Happened to a brand new pair of shoes when I accidentally kicked a trolly while moving boxes. Nothing too deep, GK worked well in covering it up as I hoped, but a cobbler was busting my balls for not putting anything on the shoe prior to first wear. Considering the thickness of products, did he mean some wax so any surface blemishes would hit the wax first before touching the shoe finish? I would like to avoid an accident again if it means protecting my new shoes properly. But how? Fwiw I am usually very careful where I step...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  19. patrickBOOTH

Well, I use the cream polish on everything except the toe and heel. For the toe and heel I use his high shine paste, which is just beeswax and carnauba. I just think the cleaner conditioner isn't really necessary unless you want to lift off some wax build-up and recondition under layers of wax. I feel like with once in a while applications of the regular cream polish this won't really be an issue on a regular basis. I also like that the cream polishes aren't solvent heavy at all, whereas the cleaner conditioner is (which is what makes it a cleaner).

If you're having shine issues it's probably because of frequent use of the cleaner/conditioner. There are tons of oils in it and it would be hard to get a shine if you're smothering the leather in that stuff. Speaking to Glen he said using a little bit of the cream is really all you need and every once in a while use the cleaner/conditioner as took much oils won't raise a shine.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  20. Munky

Munky Senior member

Apart from cleaning shoes when they are scuffed or generally dirty, how many 'wears' do most people allow before they give them a polish? If you have a number of pairs of shoes and rotate them, you ain't going to wear them all that often. Do you rotate the polishing too? Again, if so, how often?