Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

I recently inquired with Cheaney, was looking to buy online one of their full brogued boots. Prior to that I believe I asked Herring if they can fit toe taps (they are not makers per se, but they advised against it)..

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

They advised against it because they can't do it. Most of the high end shoe makers do it on their shoes.

3. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

I know, and I think you're right, there could be no other reason.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. There are certainly experts that don't recommend it or endorse it for valid reasons (such as potentially damaging the inseam or the insole).

This thread bounces between using brass nails and metal toe plates, but it has a lot of good material:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/329378/brass-nails-used-to-impede-shoe-wear/0_100#post_6100660

For what it's worth, DWFII doesn't recommend them.

5. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Thanks.
    cons trip the balance in theirs favor...

6. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

Quote: According to DWF doing this right requires a special tool. The wax is heated up and applied with the instrument. I think the wax is carnauba, which you can buy online, but I don't know how readily you will be able to melt and apply it.

7. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

Thanks; the tool is nothing special, I can make it, skill is key; and for that I have a few shoes to practice. My last pair of shoes has the wax applied on the edge and it is nice and shiny and surprisingly, it's not peeling off. Anyhow, I want to be able to fix it and to apply wax to other shoes I have

8. benhour

benhour Senior member

the wax they are using to the sole edge and heel you can find it at a cobbler supplier shop!!!(i dont now a specific store in the U.S)!!
    btw you can search for the products in the below pics!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    or for just recoloring you can use that
    http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-products/waxing-dye-tanil-saphir,594

btw i have used only the first one

9. Sam H

Sam H Senior member

I bought some J&M burgundy penny loafers. I know how J&M is regarded, I already have a wall of text post in the question thread about it. Anyway, that post had to be moderated because I'm new. By the time it was posted, I'd already found a bunch of similar complaints about how all penny's that are affordable seem to be cheaply plastic-y and crappy leather. I decided that was that, these are casual shoes and I'm not going to spend much more on a casual loafer I don't plan to wear in any formal or business setting so I took the advice of some AskAndyers who swore by stripping their shoes at home and refinishing. One post caught my eye in particular: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...5-Weejuns-Rubbing-Alcohol&p=450649#post450649

Sounds like this guy has the same issue! Same brand even. That sold me. I've never done anything beyond polishing dress shoes or oiling boots so this was a first for me.

I decided to take these:
    [​IMG]

And turn them into these:

[​IMG]

Here's an Imgur album of how I did this: http://imgur.com/a/5O1Mq

A few things:
    1. This is my first attempt at any sort of refinishing
    2. I plan to wear these casually
    3. I know that at a certain point, it's still corrected grain leather, but if you know what plastic-y corrected grain looks like, you know how unbearably ugly it is. What I have made is something that has way more depth than the original product, was fun to do, and was cheap. I am not trying to front these as miracle replacements for high quality premium calfskin burgundy shoes but simply shoes with a much better color and not so ugly plastic pristine off the Macy's shelf look for casual usage.

10. a recent grad

a recent grad Member

Ive brought it to a few cobblers around town today to get a second/third opinion and they said there must be something with the leather at that point because the crease is too defined. I brought it back to crane brothers and the owner said he would let me exchange them for a new pair, i am very happy it worked out fine because they are my first proper shoes.

11. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior member

Wonderful! Please post photos of your new pair and the shoe trees.

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

FWIW, I think you were nitpicking over a non-issue.

13. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Help!

I accidentally got the heel dressing ON the leathers. I'm sure this has been discussed but I can't find anything.

Am I sol?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

14. benhour

benhour Senior member

any photo available?

if you are lucky and the shoes have a lot of wax build up the heel dressing have to stayed on the surface and would quite easy to clean it !! if not it can be removed with acetone or some other striper but you ll stipe of and the factory finish!

15. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

There are threads where people describe lightly sanding off edge dressing. Nick V has said there are no gentle ways of getting it off. He says they avoid it at the shop to reduce the risk of errant dressing.

Perhaps stay away from it except on black shoes?