• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noo Guy

Reaction score
I bowed out of the discussion after a small fracas developed on the board, but I wanted to let everyone know that I had gone through several applications of corn starch to draw out the oil from the leather, and I had then decided to take the shoes directly to my local cobbler first thing in the morning. He indicated that there was little to no hope, and insisted that degreaser would damage or alter the finish of the shoes...

Question for the forum: he indicated that I should coat very light shoes with a repellant in order to avoid stains. Thoughts?

I will post after pictures in case anyone is interested.

kloss

Reaction score
Will pure beeswax help to waterproof boots? Is it easy to remove (easier than Obenauf anyway)? And will it prevent my boots from taking a shine?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Will pure beeswax help to waterproof boots? Is it easy to remove (easier than Obenauf anyway)? And will it prevent my boots from taking a shine?

Pure beeswax is melted and brushed onto warm leather leather goods to make them water proof but it also makes them stiff and dark as hell .There are much better products for shoes imo.It will shine though and impossible to remove

Last edited:

kloss

Reaction score
Do you have any recommendations? I have heard bad things about Obenauf and I do not want to bake my boots, so Sno-seal is out of the question.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those are beautiful shoes Ben!

In regard to new shoes:I don't think that new shoes really need anything done to them right away, but I always like to go over a new pair with some cleaner/conditioner just to remove anything that may have collected on the surface in storage, and to give the leather a bit of a glow. Sometimes I will add a coat of cream polish, and bull the toe with some paste, if I want to start off with a full shine. It sort of depends on the shoe style. I never condition the sole, as I don't want to soften that leather.

Agree with this 100%.....rarely does a new shoe need any extra product.

BTW glenjay, I took a look at your product project - very interesting! How was it for you working with the FDA, EPA and DOT? Costs for approvals have gone crazy, I know.......

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Do you have any recommendations? I have heard bad things about Obenauf and I do not want to bake my boots, so Sno-seal is out of the question.

Actually you do not need to bake your boots to use sno seal setting them in the warm sun works fine . If your primary objecive is to protect your boots from water and water borne contaminants than sno seal is imo one of the better products to use . As far as I know the only drawback is that it will darken the leather considerably . While this is only my opinion it is based on experiance with many of these protectants and I certainly respect the opinions of others and welcome differing points of view .That said it would help considerably if when making inquiries about a product one would be specific in exactly what one wishes to accomplish through the use of said products . No criticsm intended

Last edited:

kloss

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into Sno-seal again. I plan to use it on a pair of black leather rain boots (neither of the two pairs I mentioned in previous posts) so darkening should not be a problem. I plan on using those boots (in Vancouver) during light to moderate rain. They will not be used during heavy rain or snow, or when there is salt on the roads. Hopefully the leather will still shine and remain pliable after applying Sno-seal. I'd like to be able to condition them regularly as well. Hopefully Sno-seal does not interfere with that. Is Sno-seal removable?

glenjay

Reaction score

Agree with this 100%.....rarely does a new shoe need any extra product.

BTW glenjay, I took a look at your product project - very interesting! How was it for you working with the FDA, EPA and DOT? Costs for approvals have gone crazy, I know.......

Thanks Ron, I will shoot you an email on your Comcast address and we can discuss details.

glenjay

Reaction score
Bespoke Burgundy Wingtip Adelaide with a little bit of high shine polish on the toe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads