1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter because they are never touching each other. Lexol on vamp, reno everywhere else. Then polish. Minimal polish on vamp, if any.

2. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Well-Known Member

3. patrickBOOTH

4. cbfn

cbfn Well-Known Member

I made the same mistake some hundred pages back. I tried some lexol on a small spot on a pair of shell shoes, and it turned misty white. I would advise the Saphir shell cream instead, works wonders.

5. nickrut

nickrut Well-Known Member

Confused on the Reno discussion. I was under the impression Reno was both a cleaner and a conditioner. Figured putting it on every couple of months was good to keep shoes conditioned and soft.

Back to the drawing board.

6. patrickBOOTH

I have only used it on the crease going across the vamp of my shoe. It was already misty because, well, it is shell and that is what happens. I wouldn't use it on the toe or anything, then again I wouldn't use it on other parts of calf either. It penetrates the finish too much and you have to work kind of hard to get a good shine again.

7. jssdc

jssdc Well-Known Member

Quote: This was my impression as well (and although I've only been using for six months, I've been very happy with the results). Guess I'll buy some Lexol as well.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Question.

If one of the two goals of a shoe tree is to wick up moisture, and that didn't happen, do I really need to limit my shoe tree options to non-polished cedar?

It's more or less hypothetical since it's pretty hard to find cheap shoe trees that aren't non-coated cedar.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

Dont you love it when the best choice is also the easiest If you are really into the look of polished wood trees just let the shoes dry before putting them in

10. mrjester

Thank you for that run-on sentence that confused me for a few minutes.

The question was, is it really the best choice, or just the easiest? Or does it even really matter?

11. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Well-Known Member

I have and still call bullshit on this. Nick gave absolutely no substantiation on to why Lexol would be bad, and it was just a passing remark. Also, DFWII is an advocate, from what I remember searching this exhaustively in the past, and dude seems highly knowledgeable.

I use Lexol on all my shell without issue. Some people also are against wax on shell, or advise sparingly. I use that, too. Maybe I'm just coo-coo. I also sno-sealed shell, and there's not really any reason to do that, lol. Maybe some detriment will show itself over time, but I have shell going on a year now that is a-OK.

I recommend people experiment and draw their own conclusions.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. MarioImpemba

Is it just me, or does pebble-grain leather take a shine damn well?

13. Numbernine

Thank you very much . Missing puncuation, lack of capitalization and indecipherable erudition are all areas that I particularly excell in . It is always a pleasure when someone takes note and is complementary.
    What I intended to convey was the idea that unfinished shoe trees, while being not only the cheapest and most available , are also the best type for the job.
    As to whether it matters or not depends on how quickly one wishes to put the shoe trees in after removing their shoes .
    On the other hand, if the question of whether it matters or not was intended to be existential ,that is another matter entirely and I apologize for my clumsy attempt to answer a query meant to be rhetorical.

1 person likes this.
  14. Numbernine

I know snoseal will darken shell considerably . How would you describe the effect of lexol in regards to appearance? I have an old pair of beater color 8 ptbs that I perform Dr Frankenstien experiments on regularly . It is amazing how durable this stuff really is . While calf is relativly easily " ruined" shell is pretty impervious imo to anything short of mechanical damage. I also would love to hear from anyone having first hand experince harming shell in some way through some misguided attempt to condition them . I personally dont use wax but not because i fear it will harm the leather . I just prefer the type of patina that develops on unwaxed shell

15. OzzyJones

OzzyJones Well-Known Member

^^^^chuckles^^^^

16. phototristan

phototristan Well-Known Member

while you are free to experiment all you want, i would tend to believe what Horween says since they know more than probably anyone else in the world about their own shell cordovan and caring for it.

17. mrjester

Well done good sir. I tip my hat to you.

The question is more like, why are unfinished shoe trees considered to be the best for the job if the reason to have them unfinished is to wick up moisture, and that obviously is not happening? Would it be better to have a shoe tree that has more ventilation so the moisture can evaporate instead of having one that covers the most surface area with unfinished wood to attempt soaking up the moisture? I'm a fan of putting them in right after since that's probably the best time to maintain the shape of the shoe so I hate to leave them out for 15-30 minutes while the shoe dries. Maybe those cheapy plastic shoe trees are theoretically better.

This is really just playing devils advocate. I love my Epic shoe trees and will continue to slightly overpay for them from THP.

18. MarioImpemba

Lexol has no effect on appearance, other than when combined with ample brushing will restore a clean sheen to your shoes.

Also agree with your comment regarding wax; letting the shell do the work, not products, is best IMO.

I would prefer more extrapolation of the science behind why lexol would be bad, or at least empirical evidence, of which neither were provided; kinda hard for me to swallow given their attachment to venitian creme.

19. patrickBOOTH

Because pebble grain is a form of "correction" to leather

20. patrickBOOTH

Venetian is shit, IMO. Nothing more than a neutral polish