• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glenjay

Reaction score

Working on a mirror shine. Start with some rigorous brushing. Apply some Lexol conditioner. Brush some more. Add some shoe cream (BB or melatonian). Brush some more. Add kiwi wax to the toe and heel, in small amounts, with drops of water. Playing with some layers of neutral wax as well. Find a lot of elbow grease is key!
It seems kind of counter-intuitive to bull the toe of a pebble grain leather shoe.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for elaborating, Stirling, highly appreciate your detailed explanation of why Glenjay is wrong.

It seems kind of counter-intuitive to bull the toe of a pebble grain leather shoe.

I agree, but I still do it myself, both to increase the water repellent effect and because I like the look of a shined toe. However, I don't understand black longwings with pebbeled leather, or black derbys at all; to formal to be anything less formal than a half brogue IMO.

Last edited:

Stirling

Reaction score
Thanks for elaborating, Stirling, highly appreciate your detailed explanation of why Glenjay is wrong.

Where did I say he was wrong????

I thought learning english (including how to read it) was compulsory in Norway, did you miss your classes to bull your pebble grain shoes
biggrin.gif

glenjay

Reaction score

I'm sure there are others in this forum that have greater first hand experience or knowledge of these matters than I do.

How very true.

I probably should have stated that as a fact rather than an assumption.;)

However I can see how someone could perceive your comment as reiterating a weakness in someone's knowledge, that they have already acknowledged, as being kind of dickish. But, your comment was correct.

We have a number of people in this forum from shoe manufacturers, cordwainers, cobblers, and even from major tanneries. I do wish they would post more in these types of threads however.

jcb9

Reaction score
Picked these up at a thrift. Cleaned with Renomat. 2 coats of Renovatuer. 1 coat of black creme. Neutral wax. They weren't in terrible condition but did have a lot of foot powder and a junk down in the creases.

Before:

After:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, but I still do it myself, both to increase the water repellent effect and because I like the look of a shined toe. However, I don't understand black longwings with pebbeled leather, or black derbys at all; to formal to be anything less formal than a half brogue IMO.

Black plain toe blucher is one of the most classic shoe design out there.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As said, it was my opinion. Black, round, blubby ptbs are also an oxymoron in my book, even though they are classic.

Last edited:

Stirling

Reaction score
We have a number of people in this forum from shoe manufacturers, cordwainers, cobblers, and even from major tanneries. I do wish they would post more in these types of threads however.

Whilst there are no doubt several reasons why they don't post more often, one of them is certainly the reception they receive from a small minority of regulars here. Their experience, knowledge and wisdom is not always appreciated and is in some cases ridiculed and dismissed.

There is little incentive in trying to explain the proper ways and techniques to some of the architects & mba students here who are busy re-inventing the wheel and basking in their own self appointed expert status.

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You do know that Stirling has a background in one of the categories you mention?

Last edited:

glenjay

Reaction score

You do know that Stirling has a background in one of the categories you mention?

Actually, I am not familiar with Stirling's background, but his posts do seem to be very well informed.

I have a lot of respect for people in the shoe making business, as I find it fascinating. In my meetings with DWFII (a prominent cordwainer on this forum) he impressed me greatly with his depth of leather knowledge, craftsmanship, and dedication to the craft.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do any of you replace your brushes after X number of years? I assume it's not big deal but I thought about it because I took my old brush to work and had to buy a new one for home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads