• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok - I'm going to reply to my own post with this.......
OMG - HOT WATER!
I started using water, nearly boiling hot, to dip my application cloth into. Reached a deep rich mirror in no time!

THANK YOU, :slayer:
Does this work with shells?

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure, would you directly polish the whole toe or firstly iust a small area around the damage (to level out the hole)?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to make sure, would you directly polish the whole toe or firstly iust a small area around the damage (to level out the hole)?

treat the whole shoe the same.

perhaps with an extra layer of polish or two right around the damaged area.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do anyone have sources for som extra large horse hair brushes? Don't need to cost a lot.

As far as I know, the 8" brush (they may measure 8.25" - 8.5") is the biggest that's easily available. I have an 8" horsehair brush that I bought at a Florsheim store in the late 80's/early 90's, when I was in college and started working. I wish I bought several as it was dirt cheap (like $5) and it's my favorite brush now. The wooden handle is worn smooth and for whatever reason, it just works so much better than my newer, smaller horsehair brushes. I Just found two 8" vintage florsheim horsehair brushes at ebay that look just like the one I have but I can't be sure. They were $10 shipped for the pair so I took a shot. I keep meaning to check a shoe shine stand to see what size they use.

Online stores like shoetreemarketplace have been around a while and carry an 8" brush. I'd imagine they would work pretty well. I bought a couple 6" brushes at the AE outlet some yrs ago. They do the trick and were relatively inexpensive. Given a choice, I'll use the 8" version. I use it for brown shoes and the smaller one for black, and yet another 6" for Obenauf LP on work boots.

http://shoeshinekit.com/larshinbrus.html
http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=577002

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Patrick, I'll absolutely look into those. :)

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
post removed. Posted in a more relevant thread. Apologies for the mispost

Last edited:

Lear

Reaction score

Ok - I'm going to reply to my own post with this.......
OMG - HOT WATER!
I started using water, nearly boiling hot, to dip my application cloth into. Reached a deep rich mirror in no time!

Hi Gdot, I'm always open to ideas. I might give this a try. I think a better description for mirror-shine would be candy shell coating (think mirrored M&M's). It has depth, rather than just being highly polished. I'm also considering a dab of navy blue every now and again, which apparently brings out the depth in black shoes.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi Gdot, I'm always open to ideas. I might give this a try. I think a better description for mirror-shine would be candy shell coating (think mirrored M&M's). It has depth, rather than just being highly polished. I'm also considering a dab of navy blue every now and again, which apparently brings out the depth in black shoes.

Been using navy blue cream on a pair of black wingtips for about 3 or four months now. Every couple of polishes. You do get a bit of a blue tint to the shoe, but I think it looks great. Highly recommended.

Lear

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds interesting

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lear,

I'm Absolutely with you on the 'candy coating' description. That puts into words exactly the look I like. It's that extra 'depth' within the finish that brings the effect out.

I had accomplished it previously before I started to work on this recent pair. But this time I just could NOT seem to get there. And this was after lots effort. I finally went to You Tube to look for more suggestions and that is where I found the hot water suggestion. This suggestion made me remember how much you had already discussed the power of a little heat in creating the correct effect. So that was it for me - I may be too stupid to listen to something when I'm told it only once - but even a dunce like me can't ignore the same information coming from two different sources saying the same thing. :D

The hot water technique was IMMEDIATELY more effective for me.

-G

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope these aren't too fashion forward to be asking about here, but I have a new pair of Ted Baker cap toes with a rather unique upper that I just don't know the proper steps to care for. I snagged them for a pittance on ye olde online deals site, but I don't really have many details as to their construction. They fit well, the leather is quite soft and they're welted pretty solid... for a TB shoe. I believe the upper is black intentionally "faded" to a slate blue-gray.

So what steps would you recommend to keep them looking great over time? I imagine a standard colored polish/cream is out of the question...

As a separate and more specific question, I am wondering how to take care of the leather outsoles. The underside of the outsole has a rubber component that I've managed to scuff the leather sides of the outsoles with. How might you recommend removing the scuffs and maintaining the luster around the welt and heel?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the uppers I would just use some renovateur and buff. If you want the edges to remain shiny you could try some neutral polish.

swiego

Reaction score
Lately I've discovered the benefits of stripping existing wax and starting over. It's amazing how well protected the original leather is on shoes that are 10+ years old, with 10 years of cheap wax, and how I can find the grain still there underneath it all :)

Stripping wax from the older shoes takes some serious elbow grease. I am using isopropyl alcohol. I was wondering if there is a faster way - something stronger, if I am willing to take the risk on older shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads