**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

THANK YOU, :slayer:
    Does this work with shells?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Just to make sure, would you directly polish the whole toe or firstly iust a small area around the damage (to level out the hole)?

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

treat the whole shoe the same.

perhaps with an extra layer of polish or two right around the damaged area.

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

No idea - but I'm thinking that adding a mirror finish to shell isn't all that possible, or even desirable.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

As far as I know, the 8" brush (they may measure 8.25" - 8.5") is the biggest that's easily available. I have an 8" horsehair brush that I bought at a Florsheim store in the late 80's/early 90's, when I was in college and started working. I wish I bought several as it was dirt cheap (like $5) and it's my favorite brush now. The wooden handle is worn smooth and for whatever reason, it just works so much better than my newer, smaller horsehair brushes. I Just found two 8" vintage florsheim horsehair brushes at ebay that look just like the one I have but I can't be sure. They were $10 shipped for the pair so I took a shot. I keep meaning to check a shoe shine stand to see what size they use.

Online stores like shoetreemarketplace have been around a while and carry an 8" brush. I'd imagine they would work pretty well. I bought a couple 6" brushes at the AE outlet some yrs ago. They do the trick and were relatively inexpensive. Given a choice, I'll use the 8" version. I use it for brown shoes and the smaller one for black, and yet another 6" for Obenauf LP on work boots.

http://shoeshinekit.com/larshinbrus.html
    http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=577002

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Thanks, Patrick, I'll absolutely look into those. :)

7. 3ff3z8e

3ff3z8e Well-Known Member

post removed. Posted in a more relevant thread. Apologies for the mispost

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

8. Lear

Lear Senior member

Hi Gdot, I'm always open to ideas. I might give this a try. I think a better description for mirror-shine would be candy shell coating (think mirrored M&M's). It has depth, rather than just being highly polished. I'm also considering a dab of navy blue every now and again, which apparently brings out the depth in black shoes.

9. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Been using navy blue cream on a pair of black wingtips for about 3 or four months now. Every couple of polishes. You do get a bit of a blue tint to the shoe, but I think it looks great. Highly recommended.

10. Lear

Lear Senior member

Thanks. Sounds interesting

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Lear,

I'm Absolutely with you on the 'candy coating' description. That puts into words exactly the look I like. It's that extra 'depth' within the finish that brings the effect out.

I had accomplished it previously before I started to work on this recent pair. But this time I just could NOT seem to get there. And this was after lots effort. I finally went to You Tube to look for more suggestions and that is where I found the hot water suggestion. This suggestion made me remember how much you had already discussed the power of a little heat in creating the correct effect. So that was it for me - I may be too stupid to listen to something when I'm told it only once - but even a dunce like me can't ignore the same information coming from two different sources saying the same thing. :D

The hot water technique was IMMEDIATELY more effective for me.

-G

12. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I hope these aren't too fashion forward to be asking about here, but I have a new pair of Ted Baker cap toes with a rather unique upper that I just don't know the proper steps to care for. I snagged them for a pittance on ye olde online deals site, but I don't really have many details as to their construction. They fit well, the leather is quite soft and they're welted pretty solid... for a TB shoe. I believe the upper is black intentionally "faded" to a slate blue-gray.

So what steps would you recommend to keep them looking great over time? I imagine a standard colored polish/cream is out of the question...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a separate and more specific question, I am wondering how to take care of the leather outsoles. The underside of the outsole has a rubber component that I've managed to scuff the leather sides of the outsoles with. How might you recommend removing the scuffs and maintaining the luster around the welt and heel?

[​IMG]

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

For the uppers I would just use some renovateur and buff. If you want the edges to remain shiny you could try some neutral polish.

14. swiego

swiego Senior member

Lately I've discovered the benefits of stripping existing wax and starting over. It's amazing how well protected the original leather is on shoes that are 10+ years old, with 10 years of cheap wax, and how I can find the grain still there underneath it all :)

Stripping wax from the older shoes takes some serious elbow grease. I am using isopropyl alcohol. I was wondering if there is a faster way - something stronger, if I am willing to take the risk on older shoes?

15. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

you could try xylene.