**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have spoken to Tony Gaziano about this and he recommends heating up the shoe with a hair dryer and then literally wiping the wax off.

I have used Meltonian Color preparer, which is acetone based. Still takes a ton of elbow grease.

Lately I have just been wearing them in pouring rain and then the next day Lexol makes the loosened up wax come right off.

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I'm a bit miffed here. I've followed a lot of the tips you guys have put forth here, and I still can't get a decent shine out of my black cheaney captoes. The shoes are shiny and clean, but you still see the texture and you don't get that mirror look. I'm a bit frustrated at this point.

3. UberDyologzz

UberDyologzz Well-Known Member

This happens to me sometimes too, and I find that a buffing session followed by leaving the shoes overnight to try again tomorrow works.

Without knowing anything else about your shoe care situation, the thing I've found with a mirror shine is that the shine itself is formed from an extremely smooth surface. This is easiest achieved through multiple, extremely thin layers of wax. A solid foundation really helps here, and it's possible you're overpolishing.

4. rostov

rostov Senior member

How should I care for my leather soles? Should I be particularly careful not to walk on certain surfaces as not to damage the leather? Should I be applying shoe cream or such to the soles?

I have a friend with a rock driveway that I've twice visited on my way to the office and my shoes seem worse for the wear. Am I being paranoid, or should I be avoiding rock and gravel?

5. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

I had the same question. I cringe every time I must remove those little gravel pebble from the underside welting groove of my new AEs and wonder if I should treat the outsoles somehow. Methinks it is paranoia... But still wondering...

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

If you are this anal about this, put a topy on the sole. Guys they are shoes. The soles will get dirty, worn, and will eventually need replacing. If you don't want this, don't wear them.

7. dron

dron Senior member

The heel and sole of my left boot is sqeaking.
    Any sugestions to what could cause this?
    The midsoles are leather, but have a rubber sole protector stitched on it. The heel has new rubber.

8. Lear

Lear Senior member

Do not do this at home! Two products I'm investigating:

1.) Alcohol: somewhere on the Saint Crispin's website it mentions how they mirror-shine their shoes with a drop or two of alcohol into the water. I think the idea is to harden the wax a little quicker, so that multiple layers can be applied in one go. Maybe there are other benefits as well, I don't know.

2.) Artist grade turpentine: I self diagnosed (possibly incorrectly), that as Saphir wax was turpentine based, a minuscule (I said minuscule) drop might prevent it from drying into a crumbly mess. I'd already tried half immersing a tin in hot water. This did remelt the wax, but it seemed to loose its softness, and I had to literally scrape bits off a solidified lump.

[​IMG]

The above are simply my weird experiments into the dark world of shoe care. Provided for entertainment purposes only. I'd be interested in what DWFII has to say on the matter.

Lear

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Lear,

Pretty soon we're going to be standing over cauldrons of boiling turpentine, champagne, rubbing alchohol, and eye of newt in order to shine our shoes! :lol:

Your post, as usual, intriques me.

Regarding alchohol, I was trained to use it instead of water when doing certain forms of watercolor painting, because it evaporates much faster than water. I guess this is the same thinking with the St. Crispin's polishing method. I went to their website and for the record they recommend 20-30% pure alchohol added to the water. Will definitely have to try this.

As for the turpentine, this makes sense to me. I've also softened up old wax by simply putting some water on it, closing the tin tightly and coming back to it a week later.

I wore that pair of Alfred Sargent's that I had such a hard time getting to mirror. It really showed that I had ended up with just too much polish over all, as the first crease line from the toes cracked and flaked pretty quickly. However, I just took a hair dryer to them and buffed to spread out the wax in the immediate vicinity and they were fine from that point forward. (Just a little trick for future reference.)

10. Lear

Lear Senior member

:) I've often thought of it more as a black art.

You're right, it's 20% - 30% alcohol. Been a while since I visited the Saint Crispin's site. Rubbing alcohol was the purest form I could find, so hope I've got the right stuff. Thanks for the hot air tip. Might come in useful one day.

Shoes are just the little bits that poke out from the bottom of a suit. I fully realize this, which means I'm actually quite normal and can't be obsessed.

Lear

11. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Has anyone used this product for shining shell cordovan?

[​IMG]

I meant to buy #8 Saphir wax but got polish instead. I have a tin of the above that I think I was given from the Alden store and am wondering if this is OK, or if I should hold out for Saphir wax.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

12. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Waited for Saphir wax. Not mirror, but pleased with the results. Hope to be better next go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

^ how many coats of polish did you apply?

14. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

1 reno and 2 wax. Rag buff, brush, and then high gloss cotton buff each coat of wax. On the second coat I added some water to the rag.

15. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

Have you posted your Loake's in here yet?