Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

You have to put on at least 6 or 7 coats of polish on before you get close to a mirror shine. Also in between coats use the same rag and apply a bit of water to it to cut the polish back. Leave the shoes overnight for the polish to harden then buff the next day for that mirror shine.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guys, I just tried something that is the holy grail of the mirror polish. Throw away your car polishing rags and get your hands on the weblike hymen of a virgin. Instant success.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

applied a little saphir reno to a ptb. pic shows difference after a brush

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Now you tell us...after all that money on creams, waxes and microfiber cloths.

5. Lear

Lear Senior member

:)

If you do an Internet search, you'll find that for every hot air method there's a corresponding iced water theory. I've even heard of shoes being put inside the freezer. All a person can do is pick what works for them.

Lear

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Lear, that's so true...well said. Here are a couple of images of the tools I use most frequently.

Horsehair brushes:

[​IMG]

I prefer the larger size horsehair brushes. Many places (like the local AE stores) carry the 6" size as their large, but I really like the 8" brushes. They actually measure something like 8.25" or 8.5". I bought an 8" Florsheim brush some 15 yrs ago that i LOVE. I wish I bought several as it was something like $5. However, a recent ebay search came up with two of the exact same brushes (likely the same age) for $10 shipped for the pair. I clicked the BIN link immediately! My original brush is the one with the ruler.

I find that the AE branded brushes are also pretty good and reasonably priced. I use a different brush for black and brown polish. I use separate smaller AE brushes for leather conditioner like Obenauf LP on yet another different brush for cleaning dirt and salt off shoe before I polish.

[​IMG]

Clockwise from top left:

Red Cap for water dispenser
    Saphir Renovateur
    Water dispenser. This is a completely unnecessary item. It's no different than tapping your cloth in a drop of water. I first saw it in a shoeshine video w/the hip japanese dude, then found it at amazon. It's designed for solvent. Note, I use only naturally distilled water from a Hawaiian volcano. I think if I combine my secret volcanic water with the virgin's hymen...I'll be unstoppable :).
    Polishes - Kiwi wax polish, various AE wax & cream polishes (not pictured). Also not pictured is edge dressing in black & brown.
    Polishing cloths - blue microfiber cloth for buffing, strips of white tee shirt used to apply polish and cotton flannel polishing cloths (came with a travel shoecare kit).
    Horsehair daubers - used along the welt and for brogueing.

7. swiego

swiego Senior member

Do people with calf and cordovan shoes keep a separate brush for shell cordovan upkeep?

8. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

I do. I can't explain it very well, but I was told something about the natural oils inside the cordovan requiring much less polish than calfskin, so you don't want to mix excess wax or cream from the brush into the shoe. I keep my cordovan brush separate (and much cleaner) than my calfskin brushes, which are slowly turning browner and blacker from their respective polishes.

9. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Nice water dispenser! Looks like this one, made in Japan?Maybe it's superfluous but I'd love to have one.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's the one!

11. patrickBOOTH

I used to, but I don't anymore. The only thing I really ever put on any of my shoes is reno and wax and I have never seen an issue on my cordovan. Fwiw, I do wash my brush from times to time with dish detergent and rinse it really well. Detgergents cut a lit of grease and break down the waxes and oils on the brush. I do this maybe twice a year.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I wondered about cleaning horsehair brushes. I've never cleaned mine but I just bought two old ones from ebay and didn't want to use them until I cleaned them. I'll give them a good cleaning with dish detergent.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im sure this has been covered, but in light of the new PSA I posted in the cool shoes thread for the cheap Saphir, can someone post a step by step on how to apply it properly? The three products I have in rotation will be :

1. Saphir Renovateur (not on the PSA)

2. Saphir Pate de Luxe

3. Saphir Creme

I have never been the best polisher, I usually pay the shine guys to do it. But if you had these 3 products at your disposal, what would be the steps you would take? Thanks in advance dudes.

15. patrickBOOTH

:D