• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

benhour

Reaction score
Great first post, Welcome.
Why does the back of the shoe look like this?

Is it because you have polished it a lot?

thank you ,i am really happy to find you all here!!!

no this isn't from polishing !! these shoes are my father's and he hadnt polished them properly for about 2 years, once or twice he used a shelf shine sponge with silicon!! all these are scratches-and hit marks ,the color and the factory finish had gone!if you click on the image at my post to open in full size you can see that!!

benhour

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Received my first pair of Sutor's a couple weeks ago and noticed some creasing and was wondering if this type of creasing is normal? (This is after a couple wears with polishing/renovateur)

it is normal to crease a little but not so much after fiew wears!! probably you haven't use a shoe tree or put some paper in it after wearing it!! it can be fixed but its not really easy if you hadnt done it before!

wiredrob

Reaction score
I have finally finished reading all 173 pages of this thread. There is a lot in here. A worthwhile experience.

I have question....I just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands in walnut. Size 10 EEE just like my several other pairs of AE shoes from the same last. These shoes look great.

I always wear new shoes around the house a little to make sure they fit right. I didn't notice in the store but the left shoe hurt when I tried them at home. The vamp of the shoe bent closer to the laces than it should have, causing the top of the shoe to bend differently than my foot. This made this crease dig into the top of my foot at the end of each stride. Other than this the shoes fit really well.

I went back to Nordstrom and asked if there was something they could do and they said no.

Is there a way to "train" that crease to form further forward on the vamp?

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the shoe is too long for your feet. Try a shorter length shoe.

Hello everyone. Received my first pair of Sutor's a couple weeks ago and noticed some creasing and was wondering if this type of creasing is normal? (This is after a couple wears with polishing/renovateur)

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried different lacing patterns and loosening up the laces?

I have finally finished reading all 173 pages of this thread. There is a lot in here. A worthwhile experience.
I have question....I just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds Strands in walnut. Size 10 EEE just like my several other pairs of AE shoes from the same last. These shoes look great.
I always wear new shoes around the house a little to make sure they fit right. I didn't notice in the store but the left shoe hurt when I tried them at home. The vamp of the shoe bent closer to the laces than it should have, causing the top of the shoe to bend differently than my foot. This made this crease dig into the top of my foot at the end of each stride. Other than this the shoes fit really well.
I went back to Nordstrom and asked if there was something they could do and they said no.
Is there a way to "train" that crease to form further forward on the vamp?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think the shoe is too long for your feet. Try a shorter length shoe.

i think it's the volume in this area. not, that nobody told him that he shouldn't buy by the looks but the good fit, anyway.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, looking at getting some Saphir for Crockett & Jones Chestnut Antique colour any ideas from anyone who has this colour calf on the closest match for that ??

wiredrob

Reaction score
Last night I did try adjusting the laces by making them much tighter, drawing the shoe closer too my foot so there wasn't as much excess material to make the hurtful fold into the top of my foot. It did help, but need to be careful that the shoes aren't too tight.

I will experiment more with lacing. Very medieval.

dufferin1

Reaction score
i think it's the volume in this area. not, that nobody told him that he shouldn't buy by the looks but the good fit, anyway.

Actually I didn't buy based on 'looks' my friend. It is very difficult to size shoes and took advice from STF that said to buy true to size.

diophan

Reaction score
I'm considering buying http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-BROOKS...6435829?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item41688539f5 to have a nice dark brown pair of bluchers to go with jeans. However the scratch on the left side is worrisome. Can I get it most the way out with some shoe cream or wax? $30 for a pair of BB Peal & Co is pretty good if I get them back to looking decent.

EDIT: I jumped on them since the bid price was fast approaching the Buy It Now price. Here's a link to the cut/scratch I was talking about:

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is an easy fix, they'll look as good as new with some TLC. The bidding will probably end around $100 though.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

couldn't see the pics since the auction ended. Shouldn't be that difficult to fix, though.

Kirby, the stuff used for repairing cuts and such. You said it is resin based. Does it dry hard like a glue, or is it more of like a cream polish?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads