1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Thanks for the offer but I didn't see any made of leather.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

My bad, even the bold fond did not catch my attention. Good luck on the search!

3. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

Putting in my own experience here. I've used mink oil on the soles of one of my shoes and they seem to have held up well. I should note that at one point, I also gave the soles a round of Kiwi neutral polish. The soles are pretty seasoned at the moment and the mink oil doesn't appear to make them any softer. The soles have become quite hardwearing by now.

4. nickwjd

By the way, I've just started using Renovateur a few weeks ago and my experience hasn't been up to expectation so far. I've tried applying with both a cloth and also with bare fingers and I find it tends to make the leather feel sticky and look a bit matte.

Is this normal? Or perhaps am I applying too much of it?

5. razl

razl Senior member

Sounds like you're applying too much ("a little goes a long way!") and not brushing/buffing enough afterwards.

ps - I thought it was crazy when I first heard it, but I am now a finger applier too. Much better control, less wasted product, and I feel more zen with the process.

6. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

SWIMS Mobster Galosh Overshoes:

1. Will their smallest size US 8.5 fit? I usually am a size 8, I'm wondering if the extra .5 size is accounted for the overshoe purpose.
    2. Can I war it with dress shoes other than boots? Suede material?

7. nickwjd

Thanks, that was my gut feel too after inspecting the leather. I'll try to keep it to a minimal amount in the future.

Having said that, after leaving the Reno for the specified ~3 minutes, is there a difference between brushing with a horsehair brush or buffing with a soft cloth? I tend to prefer using the brush myself as I find it easier than a cloth.

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I don't know about those particular ones, but with the regular SWIMS I have size L for my 9D shoes.

9. azumi

azumi Senior member

How many time should I use Saphir Saddle Soap on my shoes? I mean this soap has the same function as the Saphir Reno Matt, is this true? I read on Hanger website that the Reno Matt should only be used once or twice a year.

10. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Brush then buff it. Brushing it with a horsehair brush helps the Reno further permeate the leather (same goes for Medaille D'or creams), but a horsehair brush can never get all the Reno off from the shoe, thus buffing it afterwards or else you will end up with residue/stickyness.

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

You should only use Saddle Soap when your shoes need to have the wax removed. Waxes tend to hold dirt and dust and eventually needs to be removed. This would be about once a year if you wear your shoes every week or so. But much less frequently for shoes that only get occasional wear.

After you've been taking care of your shoes for a while you will begin to be able to see when the wax seems to getting built up.

12. nickwjd

Well this explains my "sticky situation". I typically only brush and not buff. This works fine for creams, but I guess not for Reno.

What would be the best material to use for buffing? I mostly use those lint-free cotton cloths for shoe polishing. Should the buffing cloth be dry or moist?

13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Reno will make your shoes sticky sometimes. This happens because it is designed to gently 'melt' the existing finish a bit so that it can lift off surface dirt and polish build up.

It can always be brushed off to good result - no matter how sticky it is (at least I've never had to take any action other than brushing).

If your shoes are especially built up you will do well to rub the reno firmly with a soft clean white cotton rag. You will notice that this lifts up a good bit of 'color' from the shoe. At least your rag will show color. Doesn't mean you'll see much difference on the shoe other than it just looking brighter.

This is a good thing now and then.

As for brushing/buffing - I brush - LOTS, buff little.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  14. nickwjd

Thanks for the info!

I'll have to be more careful in applying Reno sparingly from now on.

15. azumi

azumi Senior member

Dear Gdot: Which is better to remove old wax or polish cream in your opinion, Reno Matt or Saddle Soap. And what kind of polish do you prefer to shine your shoes, cream shoes polish or wax shoes polish?
    Thank you.

16. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Does anyone have any tips on removing an oil spot from suede? While cooking a drip fell on my Aldens :(. I just finished washing the shoes with Saphir Omni'Nettoyant Suede Cleaner per Kirby's guide and as they're drying it appears the oil spot persists.

17. joiji

joiji Senior member

I'd try some degreaser. However, I'm unsure how the suede would react to it.

18. azumi

azumi Senior member

They said:

Quote: I wonder how I apply two coats of polish cream and wax. I mean after applying a coat of polish on the shoes, the next step is immediately applying another coat of polish cream or brushing before applying another polish cream coat? Then I shall brush again and apply a coat of wax, brush again and another coat of wax?
    Anyone can help?

19. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yes, apply, let sit, then brush. Then repeat. Then move on the the wax. Although, personally, I would only use the cream on the shoe then the wax just on the toe and heel. The cream will bring up enough of a dull shine without the extra wax and the build-up in creases you can get.

1 person likes this.
  20. ezlau

ezlau Senior member

Even for cream, I feel that brushing does not necessarily get all the cream off. I buff my shoes with some cut up white t-shirt from ralph lauren, nothing too fancy. You could even get those 3 for $15 CK white shirt available at Nordstrom racks etc, you get the idea. For buffing I keep the cloth dry,, but I would use a slightly damp cloth when doing a mirror shine with black wax polish.