• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the guy who recommended Astorflex to @Munky I’ll second the fact that they are amazing value for money. I think I got mine for £80 and for that they are unbeatable in terms of value.

The suede is decent, nice natural veg tanned lining and insole and a decent natural crepe sole. They are extremely comfortable.

Mine are more or less faultless and they are made in Italy by a small family business which is impressive considering what they charge.

Of course they are not perfect and will not compare with more expensive options Jadd included. I think for an affordable desert boot though you can’t go wrong with Astorflex.

I haven’t tried Jadd yet but they look seriously impressive boots and amazing value when considering they are made to order and the attention to detail and quality of materials is very high.

I have spoken with @Munky in depth about his experience with Jadd and it seems he is willing to customise the footwear to the buyers specifications and is very customer focused. The suede he uses is all full grain reverse suede not split suede and he is very discerning with his leather and quality of the hides he chooses.

I really want a pair but had also decided I wouldn’t buy any new footwear for a long while. I feel like I might lose this battle of willpower.

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they made to order or bespoke? Like, do they take your foot and make a custom last, or you determine exactly how you want them to be?

They don’t make a custom last, they have guidelines for measuring your feet and sizing recommendations. They do custom widths too.

I would imagine custom lasts would cost a lot more.

From what I have been told the customer can request things such as linings, sole type, eyelets etc

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Any type of boot can be compared with any other, obviously. I think that the Astorflex are different sorts of boots when compared wth the Jadd's.

Astorflex are good, off the shelf, desert boots which are incredible value for their price. They are very comfortable and very well made. I would recommend them to anyone.

I wish that I had come across Jadd while recently researching desert boots. After looking at the offerings made by Clark’s, Velasca, Hutton and Astorflex, I decided to go with the Greenflex (in Stone) by Astorflex and I am quite pleased with them.

But I can certainly see a pair of Jadds in my future.

Here is the Greenflex:

77B9F887-2292-4CF4-B194-7621C3DA6A83.jpeg

They come with 2 sets of laces. I settled on the beige laces.
9D9F8FC4-0A4F-4237-BF72-EDFEEA0C5A62.jpeg
5328B6E8-85E8-4FEA-9882-7BF6451D1033.jpeg

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish that I had come across Jadd while recently researching desert boots. After looking at the offerings made by Clark’s, Velasca, Hutton and Astorflex, I decided to go with the Greenflex (in Stone) by Astorflex and I am quite pleased with them.

But I can certainly see a pair of Jadds in my future.

Here is the Greenflex:

View attachment 1576716

They come with 2 sets of laces. I settled on the beige laces.
View attachment 1576717 View attachment 1576718

Nice. Mine are the dark khaki.

I would also have paid the extra for Jadd had I realised at the time.

The Astorflex have made me realise that desert boots are one of my favourite styles though.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Nice. Mine are the dark khaki.

I would also have paid the extra for Jadd had I realised at the time.

The Astorflex have made me realise that desert boots are one of my favourite styles though.

I was thinking dark khaki but instead went with the Stone since I recently picked up the Alden Snuff Suede Chukka
E426F811-D5B8-4810-B365-EF1EDA95037F.jpeg

and the Sanders Luther Boot (which I had to exchange for one whole size down so I’m awaiting their return from pediwear.)

2DC4C168-B326-4C41-9A4D-3B5F27192DC6.jpeg

BBDCEB0E-4DE9-4EB3-87C1-F27D3BFF30D7.jpeg

EDDCD0FF-83CB-45D8-8EEA-022097C10DBC.jpeg

So if I had ordered the dark khaki that might explain why I have a closet full of navy blue suits. ??

And that’s why I went with Stone.

I figured the Stone and Polo Snuff Suede Luther boot would provide some nice contrast.

But what the heck do I know? ? ?

897E838B-E531-4FF9-B406-5A100FE5BD6E.jpeg

14BCDB39-45AC-4DAE-BF18-7C2D060BDC74.jpeg

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very pleased that Reiver put me onto Astorflex. They really are lovely boots, come in a range of colours and are extremely comfortable. They are something of a cult boot as well. I bet Luigi wore a pair in his student days! :cool:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet Luigi wore a pair in his student days!
I'm not sure Astorflex were around at the time, Munky, but I was a silly lad trying to imitate British boys, so I wore Clarks.
Strange enough, many years later I learnt that Mods were inspired by Italian fashion - what a waste of effort on my part!
Anyway, now a nice pair of Astorflex is on my soon-to-be-bought list!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Astorflex were around at the time, Munky, but I was a silly lad trying to imitate British boys, so I wore Clarks.
Strange enough, many years later I learnt that Mods were inspired by Italian fashion - what a waste of effort on my part!
Anyway, now a nice pair of Astorflex is on my soon-to-be-bought list!

Yes, I was a mod too. There was nothing like a bit of sharp Italian styling to make you look very cool! What vain people we were! :rolleyes2:

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking dark khaki but instead went with the Stone since I recently picked up the Alden Snuff Suede Chukka
View attachment 1576749
and the Sanders Luther Boot (which I had to exchange for one whole size down so I’m awaiting their return from pediwear.)

View attachment 1576745

View attachment 1576741
View attachment 1576743
So if I had ordered the dark khaki that might explain why I have a closet full of navy blue suits. ??

And that’s why I went with Stone.

I figured the Stone and Polo Snuff Suede Luther boot would provide some nice contrast.

But what the heck do I know? ? ?

View attachment 1576744
View attachment 1576746

I like those Alden chukka’s but they’re so expensive in the UK.

I saw a good deal on some Sanders hi top recently and was tempted. I always think the sole looks unusual but usually looks good when someone is wearing them. I see your pair have a more conventional sole which is good. I think the polo snuff colour looks nice.

I think we need a desert boot and Chukka thread.....

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I like those Alden chukka’s but they’re so expensive in the UK.

I saw a good deal on some Sanders hi top recently and was tempted. I always think the sole looks unusual but usually looks good when someone is wearing them. I see your pair have a more conventional sole which is good. I think the polo snuff colour looks nice.

That is exactly why I went with the Luther rather than the Hi-Top. The bumper outsole is quite conspicuous on these playboy chukkas so, IMO, the notched heel gives it a bit more definition than the almost wedge-like sole of the Hi-Top.

Then again, I could be wrong as I have not put a lot of thought into this. ??

I think we need a desert boot and Chukka thread.....

You lead and I will follow. ??

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is exactly why I went with the Luther rather than the Hi-Top. The bumper outsole is quite conspicuous on these playboy chukkas so, IMO, the notched heel gives it a bit more definition than the almost wedge-like sole of the Hi-Top.

Then again, I could be wrong as I have not put a lot of thought into this. ??

You lead and I will follow. ??
I will too!

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have read, the usual recommendation with Astorflex is to go down at least half a size, as I have slim and low instep feet. As my usual size is 6 UK and it seems that this is their smallest size, it looks that I would not be able to try any of their models.

On the other hand, even though they might be cousins, I would not compare desert boots to chukkas as they have a different character not only in shape but in use.

CWV

Reaction score
From what I have read, the usual recommendation with Astorflex is to go down at least half a size, as I have slim and low instep feet. As my usual size is 6 UK and it seems that this is their smallest size, it looks that I would not be able to try any of their models.

On the other hand, even though they might be cousins, I would not compare desert boots to chukkas as they have a different character not only in shape but in use.
What’s the difference?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was a mod too.
... and from that era we kept the attitude of 'having clean shoes under difficult circumstances' !

P.S. I'm still a vain man, according to what my dottie says, but then, what does a teenager know? (I know 'lass' would be the proper Mod term, but I'm ready to kill whoever is calling my daughter this way).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads