• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm running out of Saphir Renovateur, and I have these giant tubs of waxy leather conditioner laying around, so it seems wasteful not to use these instead. The red one is RM Williams leather conditioner with lanolin and beeswax, primarily meant for my RMW Comfort Craftsmen. The Fiebing's is more generic and contains vaseline, "etheric oils" and beeswax. Can I use these on my calf Carmina and C&J dress shoes for conditioning? I've read vaseline is not recommended. Thanks! View attachment 1373565
I have no experience of both your conditioners but I'm not sure I would use either of them on expensive dress shoes.
Anyway, if compelled to, I'd choose the RM williams since it seems to have the more natural ingredients in it.
Better test it on the tongue of the shoe before, or any other area not really visible.
My two cents opinion - a twenty cents advice, instead, is to use any kind of conditioner very sparingly.
Best luck!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive bought a pair of used Loake Buckingham in light tan colour as a project.
I want to colour/dye these to be a cognac colour. Can anyone recommend which dye i should buy for cognac thats available in UK ?
I think it's a quite risky project and I never tried anything like.
Cognac is an all of its kind colour, something like 'light tan' + 'red' so - as your shoes are already tan - you should add the reddish hue but you may not foresee how the leather is going to receive the dye you are putting on (IN?) it.
If you don't mind the risk, I'd try with light coats of well diluted red dye, looking at the outcome after each one has dried but again I have non experience at all: caveat tintor ...
Good luck and please, if you are giving it a try, post the process and the results.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I spoke about working on heels and sole edges, I'd like to show what I did on a pair of Cheaney 'Alfred'.
Out of the box the heels and sole edges were quite rough (sanding marks quite evident) and quickly the back of the left heel lost its colour (it rubbed on my car's rug as I drove), so I did as follow:
- removed all the finish with acetone;
- sanded the raw leather with three grades of sandpaper (180, 240 and 360 grit) until the leather was nice and smooth, almost glossy;
- dampened the sanded areas and burnished them until dry with some specific smooth metal tools (the same used by shoemakers, three different for heel, sole edges and sole waist), applying quite a lot of pressure;
- dyed the leather with Saphir 'Teinture Francaise' applied with a brush in long smooth strokes (protecting the uppers of the shoe with tape is higly recommended!);
- dampened and burnished again the leather until smooth;
- applied wax (I used 'Saphir mirror shine' in mahogany as I had this at hand): cut a bit of wax and generously rub it on the leather; let the solvent in it dry for a couple days;
- melt and burnish the wax into the leather with the same tools as above, heated to 'sizzling hot', vigorously rubbed on the leather in short quick strokes back and forth;
- final shine with a soft cloth, again with a vigorous motion an quite a lot of pression.
Here is the outcome:
Before ...
IMG_20180218_110643rr (before).jpg

... and after
20200421_092015 (after).jpg

The shoes on my feet: before
IMG_20180328_152321 - b.jpg

and after
20200212_120156 - a.jpg

I like to work on my shoes, but everyone has to be judge for himself and decide if the results are worth the chore!

P.S. (to @DWFII) ... yes, I remember what you told me and every time I do such a work I try to see: 1) three ponts worth being happy with and 2) three needing to be improved.
Sadly, for me is easier to fulfil the second rule than the first ... :-(

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I spoke about working on heels and sole edges, I'd like to show what I did on a pair of Cheaney 'Alfred'.
Out of the box the heels and sole edges were quite rough (sanding marks quite evident) and quickly the back of the left heel lost its colour (it rubbed on my car's rug as I drove), so I did as follow:
- removed all the finish with acetone;
- sanded the raw leather with three grades of sandpaper (180, 240 and 360 grit) until the leather was nice and smooth, almost glossy;
- dampened the sanded areas and burnished them until dry with some specific smooth metal tools (the same used by shoemakers, three different for heel, sole edges and sole waist), applying quite a lot of pressure;
- dyed the leather with Saphir 'Teinture Francaise' applied with a brush in long smooth strokes (protecting the uppers of the shoe with tape is higly recommended!);
- dampened and burnished again the leather until smooth;
- applied wax (I used 'Saphir mirror shine' in mahogany as I had this at hand): cut a bit of wax and generously rub it on the leather; let the solvent in it dry for a couple days;
- melt and burnish the wax into the leather with the same tools as above, heated to 'sizzling hot', vigorously rubbed on the leather in short quick strokes back and forth;
- final shine with a soft cloth, again with a vigorous motion an quite a lot of pression.
Here is the outcome:
Before ...
View attachment 1374600

... and after
View attachment 1374601

The shoes on my feet: before
View attachment 1374602
and after
View attachment 1374603

I like to work on my shoes, but everyone has to be judge for himself and decide if the results are worth the chore!

P.S. (to @DWFII) ... yes, I remember what you told me and every time I do such a work I try to see: 1) three ponts worth being happy with and 2) three needing to be improved.
Sadly, for me is easier to fulfil the second rule than the first ... :-(

You did an absolutely splendid job on this. They look beautiful compared to what they looked before.

MiniMan

Reaction score
Where can i get a job lot of shoe trees ?
I have 10 shoes that i have been stuffing with scrunched up newspaper as shoe trees. I can't spend £100's on a load of shoe trees at once so am looking for deals. Any ideas

i’ve bought 6 pairs of cedar shoe trees from seller ‘caterpillare’ at £13/pair delivered. I have his e-mail address if you would like it - I’m sure he wouldn’t be averse to agreeing a bit of a deal.

CWV

Reaction score
i’ve bought 6 pairs of cedar shoe trees from seller ‘caterpillare’ at £13/pair delivered. I have his e-mail address if you would like it - I’m sure he wouldn’t be averse to agreeing a bit of a deal.

Could you describe them?
I buy mine from AliExpress

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads