• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@meister. Do you wear all those old seconds shoes you buy?. I understand you have acquired a bunch of reputable brand new shoes for yourself, so what is your need to keep buying all those old pairs?. Collection, selling?. Or do you get bore of shoes easily?.:blush:

Chowkin

Reaction score
Wonder if the gap in the welt is a structural or asethetics defect?

04-07-22_1024x1024.jpg

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wonder if the gap in the welt is a structural or asethetics defect?

Both--it looks like hell and it allows moisture and dirt into the interior of the shoe.

IMO, it is also a conceptual defect. When done correctly the butted interface between heelseat and welt looks very good.

When done carelessly (as here) it is a disgrace. And the further problem is that the butted welt can open up almost at anytime with wear, nevermind how well done it was originally.

kontra

Reaction score
Need advice - check out the image. These are Alden Alpine Grain NST's - about 4 years old.
I understand these are wax coated, and really need no care, but brushing here and there - and that's what I've been doing for all these years. Now, I'm noticing these, what seems to be dry-ish creases - what do you think I should treat them with? I'm thinking some Saphir Renovateur, let them sit for 20 minutes and then brush/buff? Any other ideas?
I have the second pair of Alden boots in exact the same leather - same thing starts to happen. Both are 3-4 years old.
Thanks.

IMG_6609.JPG

starro

Reaction score
Need advice - check out the image. These are Alden Alpine Grain NST's - about 4 years old.
I understand these are wax coated, and really need no care, but brushing here and there - and that's what I've been doing for all these years. Now, I'm noticing these, what seems to be dry-ish creases - what do you think I should treat them with? I'm thinking some Saphir Renovateur, let them sit for 20 minutes and then brush/buff? Any other ideas?
I have the second pair of Alden boots in exact the same leather - same thing starts to happen. Both are 3-4 years old.
Thanks.

View attachment 809288

I would use a deep penetrating conditioner. Not sure how much wax would remain after the years of wear, but if conditioner contains solvent, it would help to dissolve the wax and get at the leather better. I'm sure Renovateur would work. Get to it before the leather cracks further.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

kontra

Reaction score
I would use a deep penetrating conditioner. Not sure how much wax would remain after the years of wear, but if conditioner contains solvent, it would help to dissolve the wax and get at the leather better. I'm sure Renovateur would work. Get to it before the leather cracks further.
Would you try putting something on them after Renovateur? They don't seem to absorb much, even after all these years.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@meister. Do you wear all those old seconds shoes you buy?. I understand you have acquired a bunch of reputable brand new shoes for yourself, so what is your need to keep buying all those old pairs?. Collection, selling?. Or do you get bore of shoes easily?.:blush:

I like good quality shoes with some style and quality manufacture. Especially ones which have a design that is different. I like vintage shoes for their historic and aesthetic appeal ( I am a history buff). I like to restore a perfectly good pair of $1800 shoes in a colour I love for fun and because I would never buy that $1800 pair of shoes myself. Yes I get bored like everyone else and I like change in a hobby that interests me. Much as some like collecting model cars. Some I sell... others are like pet rocks! You just love the look of them even though you may not wear them.

OzWino

Reaction score
Ive got a dumb question which i cant seem to find an answer for.

I use Saphir Renovator about once every 6 months before polishing. I rub it in, leave it for a bit, then brush/rub off. Then polish with Saphir Wax polish. But how long should you leave the Renovator on for? Obviously it needs time to work/moisturizer but i feel if i leave it too long it becomes quite solid and gunky, making it difficult to brush off. So is there a goldilocks amount of time so its still getting in to the leather?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive got a dumb question which i cant seem to find an answer for.

I use Saphir Renovator about once every 6 months before polishing. I rub it in, leave it for a bit, then brush/rub off. Then polish with Saphir Wax polish. But how long should you leave the Renovator on for? Obviously it needs time to work/moisturizer but i feel if i leave it too long it becomes quite solid and gunky, making it difficult to brush off. So is there a goldilocks amount of time so its still getting in to the leather?

It says, on the jar, that you should leave it for 5 minutes. So that is how long you should keep it on. Very best wishes, Munky.

OzWino

Reaction score
Doh! My quick look at the jar combined with dodgy eyesight didn't register the hieroglyphs. Thanks @Munky

See i told you it was a dumb question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics