• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Leather Artisans Appreciation Thread

Chester

Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
It creates a weird bulge (first pic) whenever I wear a slim-fitting shirt (basically all of my shirts) untucked over it. Not sure I can bring myself to do the belt-tuck thing (second pic). Makes me feel like I should have one of those D&G belt buckles and some Rock & Republic jeans if I'm gonna do that.

Anyone else have experience with this?

More importantly, can someone recommend an SF-type leather artisan who makes belts that wouldn't cause this bulging issue? I like relatively wide belts in this style, I'm just looking for something a little lower-profile in front, I guess.

That's what happens with particularly thick belts. Any belt that is 8-10oz and has a good keeper should not do this.

Originally Posted by skitlets
I'm having the same problem with the belt buckle popping off frequently.
I think part of the problem is that the holes in the belt are much too large. With a clip buckle, the holes should not be any larger than the peg, and the peg should be angled backwards like a hook. And why is the keeper floating all around the belt?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chester
That's what happens with particularly thick belts. Any belt that is 8-10oz and has a good keeper should not do this.

Good call. Any recommendations on who to contact? I'd rather buy something handmade from one of the people mentioned here than have to try to figure out sizing and all that jazz from an online retailer.

mikecch

Reaction score
The bulge is unavoidable if you want thick leather - part of the package :)P), let's say. The pin with the Joe Hill belt just needs to be re-angled if you're having problems with it. Mine worked fine out of the parcel, but if yours has that issue please contact Unlucky (we've had similar discussions on the 'other' forums regarding this already.) If you're after a thinner belt, almost anyone can make you one. I would recommend Terry Dear's English bridle belt (he uses real English bridle, not the moc American 'English' bridle.)
Originally Posted by Chester
I think part of the problem is that the holes in the belt are much too large. With a clip buckle, the holes should not be any larger than the peg.../ And why is the keeper floating all around the belt?
Not sure where you got this info. from, but I've owned over 30+ belts made by craftsmen around the world, and I can tell you this ain't the case. The keeper is floating because the buckle was cut from Damascus billets and Scott wanted to preserve the way the steel looks. You may like to contact Scott regarding the design philosophies behind the Joe Hill belt.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikecch
The bulge is unavoidable if you want thick leather - part of the package :)P), let's say.

If you're after a thinner belt, almost anyone can make you one.
I would recommend Terry Dear's English bridle belt (he uses real English bridle, not the moc American 'English' bridle.)

Awesome, thanks. I'll check him out.

Any thought on whether/how I should use the conditioner Scott included with the Joe Hill prior to wearing it?

mfrege

Reaction score
If you're after a thinner belt, almost anyone can make you one.
I would recommend Terry Dear's English bridle belt (he uses real English bridle, not the moc American 'English' bridle.)

Mike is this belt of yours:

2lt994.jpg

A stained version of the Quercus leather or a modified (thicker) version of the bridle?

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfrege
Mike is this belt of yours:

2lt994.jpg

A stained version of the Quercus leather or a modified (thicker) version of the bridle?

That one was the Quercus prototype that Terry made for me before the project started - it was the belt that spawned the Quercus belts I suppose :p
The leather was bought from the same tannery a few years back - similar, but not the same leather.
The grain characteristics are different.

I don't think traditional bridle leather goes up to 15 oz...I think Terry could do 12 oz???
Best check with him (Paul T on SuFu had a nice bridle belt done by Terry...could ask him for opinions).
Also Terry could dye the Quercus in a few colours.
Here's a pic he sent me a while back:
Quercus.jpg

Chester

Reaction score
TNot sure where you got this info. from
I'm just speaking from the experience of wearing them. Especially if the belt isn't worn particularly snug, the larger holes allow the buckle to move around more, making it more likely to pop out.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed seeing Barrett Alley's leather goods over the past year. I haven't bought anything from him, but I like his simple designs made from very nice materials. Here's his deerskin and Edo indigo hemp lined wallet:
barrett2.jpg
barrett1.jpg
And a standard black veg tan card case:
barrett3.jpg

Glueeater

Reaction score
I can't say how awesome Scott (unlucky) is. I commissioned him on this camera bag:
189876_1380467118470_1435680784_31557643_5264325_n.jpg
198934_1380467318475_1435680784_31557644_7001227_n.jpg
The inside is lined with a dark leather. Feels great, should hold my lenses/point and shoot well.

islay

Reaction score
Hi guys

I already have foour belts from unlucky, which are quite nice. Now I think is time to try LGC, Hollows or Carter. What are the main differences between these brands?, any recommendation? are the materials the same? Unlucky seems to have variety in the materials, and these other brands are maninly cowhide form what I have seen. But I dont really have any knowledge about what´s better or what for

cheers

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I emailed Scott, aka Unlucky at 2 email addresses.
See what happens.

For anyone who knows.

What's the approximate prices for:
Belts ($50?)
A small saddlebag, dopp kit, lunch carry
Simple Wallet or Card Case?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blazingazn
I emailed Scott, aka Unlucky at 2 email addresses.
See what happens.

For anyone who knows.

What's the approximate prices for:
Belts ($50?)
A small saddlebag, dopp kit, lunch carry
Simple Wallet or Card Case?

it depends on materials he uses.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads