• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does Parkway compare to Rave?

I can't speak to Rave, but when I've bought suits on eBay - some Savile Row others Corneliani, Parkway does a great job making them smell completely neutral and hand rolling the lapels. I don't dry clean regularly - only when I get a stain or if they get smelly or musty. But, I would not hesitate to bring a suit to Parkway, which does pickup and delivery FWIW. My wife has used them for cashmere sweaters and a few other things. They are expensive.

blindboygrunt

Reaction score
Any recommendations on repairing a leather jacket in the DMV? Have my dad's old bomber with a fur collar that's very worn. Mainly needs new lining but would be great to get the collar and leather restored as well.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations on repairing a leather jacket in the DMV? Have my dad's old bomber with a fur collar that's very worn. Mainly needs new lining but would be great to get the collar and leather restored as well.
I used this guy to repair a few purses for my wife. Did great work repairing torn straps and such. Apparently he does jackets too but I have zero experience with that.

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used this guy to repair a few purses for my wife. Did great work repairing torn straps and such. Apparently he does jackets too but I have zero experience with that.

Hmm that’s the same last name as Steve from Bedos. Bedos also does leather repair too.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm that’s the same last name as Steve from Bedos. Bedos also does leather repair too.
He came into town and met me in his car by my office to get my items and returned them in the same way.

GeoffreyB

Reaction score

Right now Bedos is closed for the month of January. They will reopen February 1st. They were behind on orders so they had to close their shop in order to catch up.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to Rave, but when I've bought suits on eBay - some Savile Row others Corneliani, Parkway does a great job making them smell completely neutral and hand rolling the lapels. I don't dry clean regularly - only when I get a stain or if they get smelly or musty. But, I would not hesitate to bring a suit to Parkway, which does pickup and delivery FWIW. My wife has used them for cashmere sweaters and a few other things. They are expensive.

Definitely aren’t cheap but fairly convenient for high end clothing.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve announced on his Youtube channel that his brother passed away in December or early January. I think he said his brother did leatherwork including making custom bags and it was unexpected.
That must have been who I met. I thought I had the business card but I couldn’t find it today.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Where would you guys recommend for looking at shoes? I'm going to be in DC for a couple days. I don't love the idea of going shopping right now, but I would love to compare some of the European brands for sizing because I wear narrows in Allen Edmonds, and I rarely see narrows in other brands.

I'm staying on capitol hill, but I will have a car.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where would you guys recommend for looking at shoes? I'm going to be in DC for a couple days. I don't love the idea of going shopping right now, but I would love to compare some of the European brands for sizing because I wear narrows in Allen Edmonds, and I rarely see narrows in other brands.

Sitting here watching football with iPad in hand. Try Sky Valet in City Center or maybe Sid Mashburn in Georgetown. City Center also has Paul Stuart and a bunch of luxury stores. Mashburn has UK and Italian stuff. Their store brand is really decent.

Sky Valet Shoes
(202) 337-4333

Sid Mashburn
(202) 864-0365

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sky Valet Shoes in City Center. A Style Forum institution for DC-area residents. The owner can come across as a bit gruff, but he's a good guy.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Also, Alden is fairly close to Sky Valet. Not sure where you’re from and what stores you have access to.

Alden Shoe Co
(202) 347-2308

brokencycle

Reaction score
I live in Cary, NC which limits me to Sak's or Nordstrom. Like I've posted elsewhere, I've been super risk-adverse for COVID, so I don't know if I can work up the willpower to shop even one place, but doing much more than that will be unlikely. Thanks for the fast suggestions.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Alden is fairly close to Sky Valet. Not sure where you’re from and what stores you have access to.

Alden Shoe Co
(202) 347-2308

Second both of these recs. Sky Valet has Crockett and Jones and John Lobb among other brands. Definitely worth visiting. They just gave up their Alden account so if you find something in your size it will be at a huge discount.

Also, Alden has one of its two factory owned stores in DC. They have reduced hours due to COVID, but they generally have more than any independent Alden retailer in stock and because fo that have more lasts and widths available to try on. Their website is awful and hardly includes a quarter of the variety they have in the store itself. They run a lot of rare shell cordovan and sometimes have a strange size on the shelf for purchase that wasn't accounted for in the pre-order. I think Brian is only letting in one customer at a time, so you may want to call or email him to see if you can set up an appointment fitting if you want to check out the store and the largest selection of Alden around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads