• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, I did wear a sport coat.

But just from a comfort perspective, I can't say I'm more comfortable in jeans today than I was yesterday in flannel tailored trousers.

I think a lot of people don't like tailoring because they've never had tailored clothes that fit. Either they had hand-me-downs or bought off the rack with no tailor involved to make it actually fit. For that reason they always have felt uncomfortable in tailoring, both physically and emotionally because they don't like the way it looks.

I had a similar experience with dress shoes. Growing up in the 80s I always had loafers. They never fit right and I used to tear up the back of my heel. When I started getting dressed for work and bought from stores like Syms and Nordstrom Rack I had no idea how dress shoes were supposed to fit, so I would buy them the way my other shoes always fit and I'd tear up my heels and bandage them for the first month I'd wear a new pair. How was I to know that I didn't wear the same size in sneakers and proper dress shoes. What the hell was a Brannock? Eventually, like almost everyone else I went to Echo and comfort brands with rubber glued soles and cheap corrected leather uppers.

One day, after getting into correct tailoring I decided, why not try real shoes again. I went to Sky Valet. I was fitted properly for the first time in my life. What a revelation. The shoes fit. They didn't make my feet sore and they didn't tear up my heel because there was no heel slip. I went back again to add to my Alden pair with a pair of Crockett & Jones. It's been all downhill since. I have 18 pairs of fine shoes and boots and have sold a few to keep my collection manageable and so I cycle through them rather than keeping some on the shelf for months at a time.

Most people never go back. They never get properly fitted or have their suits or trousers tailored so they fit comfortably and look good. That's why they prefer jeans and chinos. Those are cut with lots of tolerances and flexible fits because they are blue collar work clothing.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, the discussion from the past two pages has inspired me to dress up & down today... Happy (Casual) Friday!

Eidos sport jacket, CD Rigden (an interesting clothing store in Middleburg, VA) pocket square, Inis Meáin sweater, Edwin jeans, Gaziano & Girling derbies.

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

G&G Wiltshire_Edwin jeans.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good sale at Guideboat. Not an SF-approved store but pretty nice outdoorsy stuff. Good chinos, shirts, and such. Wifey has a pea coat from them she wears constantly.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That French pea coat I picked up in Manhattan had a slight musty smell from being warehoused/closeted for so long. My regular dry cleaner couldn't fix it so I sent it to Rave in Arizona. They cleaned it expertly and it's like new. Came out to $75 with shipping. They return jackets and tailoring on a hanger mailed flat in a suit box as well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under other circumstances I would welcome snow tomorrow night, but I really need the DC snow hole to come through for me because I have tickets to an advance preview of the new Yayoi Kusama exhibit at the Hirshhorn on Monday morning.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That French pea coat I picked up in Manhattan had a slight musty smell from being warehoused/closeted for so long. My regular dry cleaner couldn't fix it so I sent it to Rave in Arizona. They cleaned it expertly and it's like new. Came out to $75 with shipping. They return jackets and tailoring on a hanger mailed flat in a suit box as well.

How does Parkway compare to Rave?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under other circumstances I would welcome snow tomorrow night, but I really need the DC snow hole to come through for me because I have tickets to an advance preview of the new Yayoi Kusama exhibit at the Hirshhorn on Monday morning.
I missed her last big one a few years ago. Will it be open or are passes required?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does Parkway compare to Rave?
Never used Parkway. Rave seems to be world famous. They have shipping instructions for customers in the Middle East, Europe and such. My wife has a faux fur coat that needs to be cleaned like the real thing. Maybe we will take it there and see if they are good?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never used Parkway. Rave seems to be world famous. They have shipping instructions for customers in the Middle East, Europe and such. My wife has a faux fur coat that needs to be cleaned like the real thing. Maybe we will take it there and see if they are good?

They do excellent work. I send my suits there to be cleaned and stored. I don't buy into the hype of Rave but again I've never used them.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do excellent work. I send my suits there to be cleaned and stored. I don't buy into the hype of Rave but again I've never used them.
My regular dry cleaner is Dryy and they always do good work but they couldn't remove the musty smell from my coat. Rave took it right out. I had them to do the same thing to a vintage Paul Stuart suit (eBay find) years ago. two different cleaners here couldn't clean it but Rave did.

No idea about Parkway but it would ne nice to have a local option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads