• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a rapid test a couple of blocks from my house (15 minute wait thankfully) after experiencing symptoms (cough, congestion) and received a negative test. What sucks is I have year round allergies so nearly always have COVID symptoms. Will do another test on Christmas or Boxing Day so I can go on my winter vacation.

I also picked up a couple of free home testing kits from the Georgetown Library and ordered some antigen tests to facilitate my European travels (I'll bounce between a couple of countries and take a test for return to US).

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a rapid test a couple of blocks from my house (15 minute wait thankfully) after experiencing symptoms (cough, congestion) and received a negative test. What sucks is I have year round allergies so nearly always have COVID symptoms. Will do another test on Christmas or Boxing Day so I can go on my winter vacation.

I also picked up a couple of free home testing kits from the Georgetown Library and ordered some antigen tests to facilitate my European travels (I'll bounce between a couple of countries and take a test for return to US).

Good luck with your trip. A lot of countries aren't letting people in without a test 24 hours before entry. Others temporarily aren't letting people in at all - unless returning citizens.

Jtbrooks

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with getting cuffs added to pants after previously having them hemmed? I got a pair of charcoal flannel trousers from spier and mackay and had them hemmed last week by the lady who operates out of Ezra Paul on U. Unfortunately I’m not quite thrilled with the result so I’d like to pivot a little and do the cuffs instead. Related to that, anyone have a good recommendation for alterations in NW? I believe that lady is moving to Virginia soon

plyonsla

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with getting cuffs added to pants after previously having them hemmed? I got a pair of charcoal flannel trousers from spier and mackay and had them hemmed last week by the lady who operates out of Ezra Paul on U. Unfortunately I’m not quite thrilled with the result so I’d like to pivot a little and do the cuffs instead. Related to that, anyone have a good recommendation for alterations in NW? I believe that lady is moving to Virginia soon
Will Field

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cuffs require extra fabric. It depends on whether when hemmed there is sufficient fabric tucked inside the pant leg. Some tailors will leave a few inches.Some leave the extra fabric b/c the extra weight helps with pant drape. Others leave extra in case you change your mind and want cuffs later. Others will leave very little b/c they assume your decision is final.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas you filthy animals
89F8B9F0-F58D-49A7-864B-FEF080522607.jpeg

Portuguese Flannel
Hawick cashmere
Sid Mashburn denim

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Christmas Eve in Philly and on outdoor fireplace duty! Wearing Fox Bros. Teba jacket wifey got me, Purdey sweater, Kiton jeans, C&J loafers. About to commence socially-distanced, Fingers-crossed we don’t get Omicron gathering!
D3BECF69-94E3-4A93-86EC-D55BF6C91848.jpeg

plyonsla

Reaction score
Wanted to share recent MTM SC order with you all from Kent Wang. Fabric by Abraham Moon in a medium brown herringbone lambswool. Standard KW shoulder and canvass, hacking pockets with ticket pocket, standard/low gorge notch 9.2 cm lapels, fully lined. Wanted to make a good winter SC with English inspiration. Thank you to @smittycl for the recommendation.

5C97C862-83F8-4224-87C5-DB2A36B46723.jpeg
A96FBD9C-04AF-4B2F-B11F-46714E0E0AF6.jpeg
7C2A9BF0-FB4F-4B17-B5F9-B7EABFE44DF7.jpeg
151559E2-865E-4F3B-B015-A1B5E7E7E3C1.jpeg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wanted to share recent MTM SC order with you all from Kent Wang. Fabric by Abraham Moon in a medium brown herringbone lambswool. Standard KW shoulder and canvass, hacking pockets with ticket pocket, standard/low gorge notch 9.2 cm lapels, fully lined. Wanted to make a good winter SC with English inspiration. Thank you to @smittycl for the recommendation.

View attachment 1728537 View attachment 1728542 View attachment 1728544 View attachment 1728545
I think this looks really good! The hacking ticket pocket fits well with the "English countryside" fabric. How was your experience with KW? I know @smittycl had a difficult time with it.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody going to a big NYE party tonight? Seems like Club Home is the best option. The bartenders are generous with their pours, there’s no line for the bathroom, and you don’t have to worry about paying for an overpriced Uber home.

plyonsla

Reaction score
I think this looks really good! The hacking ticket pocket fits well with the "English countryside" fabric. How was your experience with KW? I know @smittycl had a difficult time with it.

I had a very good experience overall. I got measured by Aaron in-person at their NYC shop. They have you try on one of their OTR jackets and work off that pattern. I didn’t require too many major changes from the OTR pattern, which was probably helpful. Definitly worthwhile to get measured and pick fabric in-person. It saves a lot of time compared to doing it virtually from what I’ve read here.

I received the jacket about 5-6 weeks later. My tailor only had to let it out a tad and brought in sleeves (which I had deliberately set longer with the intention to bring in in order to achieve exact 1.25 in sleeve-edge to sleeve button distance—KW has 1.75 in from factory). My tailor (who used to make bespoke suits and is very experienced) said the construction was very good. The handwork is definitly noticeable. Crow foot hand stitched buttons are very clean, hand stitched buttonhole is clean, etc.

Curious what people think of KW as compared to SM. I have a full canvass SM MTO suit that probably rivals KW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads