• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fair, I mostly wear sport coats to work and for play. I just need to solid work horse suits to rotate between.
I've been wearing more sport coats with ties and dress pants than suits lately. I'm actually the only one in my office today as we're staggered. Does let me act out and wear more colorful stuff as we don't have any in-person stuff going on.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always a big believer that suits would eventually make a cylical return (even against the backdrop of an overall secular decline). Now, I am far less certain.
I think govt here in DC will try to return to normal quickly but all the law firms and private companies will have trouble doing that. The lawyers and accountants here in this thread seem to think WFH is not going away.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately for me, "DC courthouse" is one place the business suit will never go out of style.
Not as long as DC has miscreant cyclists like me running lights, jumping curbs, and going the wrong way down one-way streets anyway. It's only a matter of time before a DC Metro cop pepper sprays me off my bike.

I love being a cyclist because you can act like a bike, a car, or a pedestrian depending on the situation.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steed, Steven Hitchcock, Henry Poole, Maurice Sedwell, Davies and Son, Whitcomb & Shaftesbury, Dege amd Skinner, etc. They all come and have a foot print.

I need one more business suit and have my eye on knocking out some odd jackets for the summer and one blue blazer for the fall/winter.
Huntsman NYC still does trunkshows in the US. I've been to 2 in Houston since pandemic started.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lockdown will accelerate the trend toward telework. I was one of two people in my section who didn't telework at all before the lockdown, and I expect that I will telework at least once a week when we return to the office. Commercial real estate will be in major trouble as many companies understand there's no need for everyone to be in the office every day. On a related note, I have realized I have way more clothing (particularly odd jackets and dress slacks) than any man needs. I have not bought any clothes since March 2020. Watches don't count, right? :hide:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lockdown will accelerate the trend toward telework. I was one of two people in my section who didn't telework at all before the lockdown, and I expect that I will telework at least once a week when we return to the office. Commercial real estate will be in major trouble as many companies understand there's no need for everyone to be in the office every day. On a related note, I have realized I have way more clothing (particularly odd jackets and dress slacks) than any man needs. I have not bought any clothes since March 2020. Watches don't count, right? :hide:
I also have too much stuff (and just bought a second dive watch). It may be time for another LuxeSwap-aimed closet cull.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oops, wrong thread.

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
W.W. Chan still comes regularly to DC.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price point is beyond my budget!
They have their normal full price bespoke made in London and a cheaper scaled down bespoke that I think is made in China. All of the cutting is still done by the NYC cutter Ralph. I think last year it was $8k for London and $5k for China. Still expensive but much cheaper than the normal full bespoke.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have their normal full price bespoke made in London and a cheaper scaled down bespoke that I think is made in China. All of the cutting is still done by the NYC cutter Ralph. I think last year it was $8k for London and $5k for China. Still expensive but much cheaper than the normal full bespoke.
I chose Steed a few years back bc they were in the price range for something “reasonable.”

I may take a break and wait for some younger tailors to emerge.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe the market is over saturated with tailors. I was able to buy one jacket from Formosa before they stopped traveling to DC. The quality and price point are now worth the expense of traveling to NYC to get my stuff made, but would prefer to stay local. Its a pain ********** taking leave in the middle of the week for a fitting. I would have no issues if things were on a Friday. I could take off and enjoy NYC.
I think I will stick to MTO at The Armoury for the Model 3 or with NMWA x Carrara. I'm very curious to see where we go with suits here in DC. Not sure a full return to old ways is going to happen.
That's fair, I mostly wear sport coats to work and for play. I just need to solid work horse suits to rotate between.

Although I am interested in trying something from Steed (MTM, not full bespoke), and possibly doing a sport with Orazio, mostly concur with Smitty. The price to quality ratio on Armoury MTM (I've only done OTR and MTM, not MTO) and Carrara with No Man are both very good.

I am hoping to do another Carrara piece and some MTM trousers from Rota with No Man in the future as well...... (pre-covid, Greg mentioned a possible DC Field trip for No Man for MTM measurements, and some OTR as requested. I hope this is still in the cards when things return to semi-normal (maybe in 2022?)

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I am interested in trying something from Steed (MTM, not full bespoke), and possibly doing a sport with Orazio, mostly concur with Smitty. The price to quality ratio on Armoury MTM (I've only done OTR and MTM, not MTO) and Carrara with No Man are both very good.

I am hoping to do another Carrara piece and some MTM trousers from Rota with No Man in the future as well...... (pre-covid, Greg mentioned a possible DC Field trip for No Man for MTM measurements, and some OTR as requested. I hope this is still in the cards when things return to semi-normal (maybe in 2022?)

I love Steed but the cut for their MTM doesn’t stand up to the NMWA model. I would stick with Carrara.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk about tailors, who do you all recommend for something with a bit more structure. The soft shoulder coats are nice but I tend to look better with more structure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads