• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Hair Thread

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crop the sides, only use scissors if at all possible. it'll be harder using a razor unless your hair naturally lies flat.

buy a comb, just bought one of these today. heard good things: http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Hand-Mad...sr_1_1?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1317114713&sr=1-1

length of top hair should be longer than top obviously.

and you can use pomade to get a good hold.

brush hair to side accordingly.

i am going in for another haircut this weekend. top long so no cut and trim the sides. similar to the one you have photoed but longer top.

Last edited:

Eskoe

Reaction score
Would I be able to get that look even if my hair line isn't square? I have a bit of a widow's peak, and the hair on my temples goes in (A kind of > thing if you know what I mean).

Also, willpower: you're a lifesaver for recommending me that Full Living Proof stuff. It's absolutely great, I've even picked up the shampoo and conditioner. I hope you get a sponsorship deal with them lol.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, willpower: you're a lifesaver for recommending me that Full Living Proof stuff. It's absolutely great, I've even picked up the shampoo and conditioner. I hope you get a sponsorship deal with them lol.

I wish - them, and Jonathon Antin Dirt should send me residuals

Yeah, Living Proof is good. Bummer it's kind of expensive, but when you find something that you're completely satisfied with it's easier to justify the price.

Last edited:

Fodder

Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get my hair looking like Jude Law's in The Talented Mr. Ripley? Like what do I ask for at the barber, what product should I use and just generally how do I style it to get that look?

Thanks!

DeFrank

Reaction score
First post on SF and just looking for suggestions for my next cut.

The first pic is a straight on shot to give you an idea on the shape of my head but i've been getting it cut more like the second shot recently. I've got really thick straight hair and since its been 2 months since I last had it done I probably look more like the 1st photo at the moment.

Any advice is much appreciated, looking for something reasonably smart since I have some job interviews coming up shortly.

NYliGuy

Reaction score
@musicguy

regardless, you would look much better with a buzz cut shorter hairstyle. Or with a shaved head.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two years or so, tired of it. It's not the usual straight asian hair, real thick. I usually just tie it up, bun style. Thinking about saving all of the top and cutting everything below off. Give me some ideas, I'll try most anything. I want to take advantage of the length before I chop it all off.

How I usually have it,
wjbc6e.jpg

2vn5q1x.jpg
2j2td6s.jpg

Rmartin52

Reaction score
Hey, Am currently being convinced to change my hair style as it's impossible to keep how I like and ends up looking crap 3 hours after I've left my house in the morning, Preferably looking for something shorter, the degree of change based on the opinions I receive, I'm rather ashamed to admit I don't know jack about hair or different styles. I have been told it should be MUCH shorter than it is currently but I was considering just trimming the back 2 inches to keep it in line with my neck

Cheers for any help, advice on length, colour (Originally Dark blonde), style, products etc all greatly appreciated and considered.

Cheers guys

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two years or so, tired of it. It's not the usual straight asian hair, real thick. I usually just tie it up, bun style. Thinking about saving all of the top and cutting everything below off. Give me some ideas, I'll try most anything. I want to take advantage of the length before I chop it all off.
How I usually have it,
wjbc6e.jpg
2vn5q1x.jpg
2j2td6s.jpg

Just find a pic of a hairstyle you like and bring it to your stylist.

the_drizzle

Reaction score
Has anyone tried American Crew boost cream and powder?

I used both today for the first time and the results were impressive.

The cream made my hair far less frizzy than usual. The powder added a surprising amount of hold and it looks/feels like I put nothing in my hair.

My hair has pretty good shine by itself already so using things like waxes sometimes makes my hair look a bit greasy.

Reaction score
when your hair is long enough, where do you guys part it?

is middle part a stupid look?

i'm talking about any length of hair here.

could be long or short and not just the regular short back and sides.

me i part right if short. part left if longer still.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@musicguy
regardless, you would look much better with a buzz cut shorter hairstyle. Or with a shaved head.

Thanks for the advice. I think I agree. I'm currently putting it in a pony tail or a bun in the back. It seems to help look better. I have a recommendation for a great stylist in the area. Just have to get an appointment.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for you guys who have long hair, i cannot stress the importance of owning a nice comb. with my new KENT and some pomade, i was able to do something like this:

first time and i quite like it although it gives me an older look... the side is shorter than I would've wanted. As my hair grows out it will be better :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads