• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they have sample sales occasionally. But those are instore only and i think only in NYC/London so if you're not based in either, you're out of luck w/o proxy.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I normally wear a size 32 and ordered a size 31 in the indigo and 33 in the ecru (which I think is sized the same as the midwash). The ecru is a touch big, but not too bad.
Just curious where do you get the jeans hemmed, local alteration tailor? Any photos of the indigo worn?

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
Hey guys, need your advice.

Ordered two pairs of shoes and a drake's grenadine tie from the Rake. They combined into one package and just threw the tie into the box where it got crushed by the shoe boxes. Now has two creases (one in the front, the other in the back).

Any recommendations on how I can fix the front crease? It's that big ripple in the middle. View attachment 1207971

Here's the back crease (don't think it's fully fixable):
View attachment 1207972
I would return this tie. Tell them arrived damaged. That is not acceptable. I too have had some less-than-optimal shipping experiences from the Rake, and promptly returned the merchandise at their expense. They apologized and my next order was properly packaged.

eddiemczee

Reaction score
Just curious where do you get the jeans hemmed, local alteration tailor? Any photos of the indigo worn?

No fit pics yet as I need to get them hemmed. I'm planning on taking them to Self Edge to get them chain stitched at the bottom. If you don't care about that kind of stuff, any local alteration tailor can do it.

mattg1027

Reaction score
Received the Tan Twill Cotton Suit and like it a lot, but it's definitely a hearty fabric. Curious to see how it would do in the summer heat. Overall, I think the fit is pretty solid out of the box, minus the sleeves being a touch long (but I'm going to take the advice of the previous poster and hold off bringing them up until I see how it wears a bit more worn in/wrinkled). I was worried the pants would be overly slim, or perhaps tight in the waist (i.e., not vanity sized like most of my 40R suits), but fortunately, not really the case. Waist hits a bit higher than I'm used to, and they're my first pants ever with side tabs, so it'll be a little adjustment.

I also received the Drake's X The Rake ecru denim sport coat and am a little on the fence. The fabric is also very substantial, even more so than the Tan Suit - perhaps to be expected with denim. I'm not sure I could wear it out in the blazing sun, which is what the color seems to call for.

Overall, I'd say the beige needlecord is still in the lead for this season - really loving how lightweight and relaxed that feels. Only problem is I now have the full suit plus an extra jacket as I seem to have misplaced the tag on the first jacket order and therefore probably can't send it back. Oh well...

I tried the Games jacket as well, but the Rake sent me the wrong color. I wanted to try the Ecru/Olive one but they sent the Navy/Red. It's a nice navy fabric (perhaps a bit more sheen than expected), but I don't know if I can pull off that varsity brah look. In any case, I have enough navy jackets...

Oh, and The Rake definitely just tossed it all in a giant box with the grenadine tie loose in the mix. :rolleyes: Fortunately I think it survived the trip.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received the Tan Twill Cotton Suit and like it a lot, but it's definitely a hearty fabric. Curious to see how it would do in the summer heat. Overall, I think the fit is pretty solid out of the box, minus the sleeves being a touch long (but I'm going to take the advice of the previous poster and hold off bringing them up until I see how it wears a bit more worn in/wrinkled). I was worried the pants would be overly slim, or perhaps tight in the waist (i.e., not vanity sized like most of my 40R suits), but fortunately, not really the case. Waist hits a bit higher than I'm used to, and they're my first pants ever with side tabs, so it'll be a little adjustment.

I also received the Drake's X The Rake ecru denim sport coat and am a little on the fence. The fabric is also very substantial, even more so than the Tan Suit - perhaps to be expected with denim. I'm not sure I could wear it out in the blazing sun, which is what the color seems to call for.

Overall, I'd say the beige needlecord is still in the lead for this season - really loving how lightweight and relaxed that feels. Only problem is I now have the full suit plus an extra jacket as I seem to have misplaced the tag on the first jacket order and therefore probably can't send it back. Oh well...

I tried the Games jacket as well, but the Rake sent me the wrong color. I wanted to try the Ecru/Olive one but they sent the Navy/Red. It's a nice navy fabric (perhaps a bit more sheen than expected), but I don't know if I can pull off that varsity brah look. In any case, I have enough navy jackets...

Oh, and The Rake definitely just tossed it all in a giant box with the grenadine tie loose in the mix. :rolleyes: Fortunately I think it survived the trip.

I've worn the olive cotton suit quite comfortable in autumn over here. I think it will be too warm for hot summer days. I also have the glen plaid linen as well as the green seersucker suits and I think those will work better in warm weather.

inTROYspection

Reaction score
Curious if anyone else noticed this...I saw some info (here) on the Denim sizing back in December. General thinking was go TTS for the dark wash (maybe one size down). I recently ordered both the dark and mid-wash - in my regular size a 34. They arrived yesterday. I am absolutely swimming in the dark. I was going to take a pic but they won't even stay up. The midwash on the hand look 80s rock star jeans (ie skin tight). Thinking I might have down 2 on the dark and up 2 on the mid wash. Anyone else have a similiar experience?

I normally wear a size 32 and ordered a size 31 in the indigo and 33 in the ecru (which I think is sized the same as the midwash). The ecru is a touch big, but not too bad.

I'm typically a Size 31 or 32 and ordered size 33 in both the Mid-Wash and the Off-White denim. The Mid-Wash fit pretty well, but the Off-White are super tight in the hips and butt ... likely not wearable, unless I can expect them to stretch out over time?

45bur

Reaction score
Looking for some input re: shirt sizing. I'm looking to try Drake's shirting out for the first time.I don't have the ability to handle the goods in person before buying.

In general, what is the difference between slim and regular fit? Why bother with the distinction? The regular fit shirts don't seem that full cut.

For reference, I'm 5 foot 7, 150 lbs with an athletic frame. I normally take 14.5 in most dress shirts, and size small in brooks brothers, Gitman, etc.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The slim fit are a lot slimmer. I never know what people mean when they say “athletic”, but slim fit will only fit you if you are skinny or you like a very tight shirt. The armholes and chest are particularly tight for me, although I find the waist on regular fit far too larger so I have them taken in.

45bur

Reaction score
Generally athletic means lean, with a small waist and muscular shoulders/chest/arms

Dzzzzz

Reaction score
If you can fit into a 14.5 shirt you don’t have “muscular shoulders/chest/arms”...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads