• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Treble

Reaction score
One thing I can never wrap my head around is the new wave of brand's selling what's effectively tourist merchandise. Rowing Blazers does the same thing. I really can't see the point of wearing a "Seatown" anything when I've never been. It's also not that hard to pick up a $10 tourist dad cap or sweatshirt, whatever, from a place you're actually visiting. Also, makes a nice memento. A $150 tourist tee referencing a place you've never been to...must be the Late Capitalism thing.

Okay, I think I should say something positive now. I'm close to lighting my money on fire for these...

I think Seatown is meant to work ironically. It's like a hat with "sports team" on. No-one even in England will have heard of the place, almost doesn't need to exist.

Suspect it may not be the 'closest beach to the Drake’s shirt factory in Chard, Somerset' but sounded the best

Last edited:

wahnamhong

Reaction score
New editorial on linen suggesting linen suits are coming soon: “With summer just about upon us, we are welcoming the arrival of a fresh batch of Drake's spread collar linen shirts, breezy suits, Italian five-pocked chore jackets in bright colours and soft and smart linen polo shirts...”

Ordered the ecru linen chore coat, but will return it. The fit is different from other chore coats I have - a same size 42 fits smaller and shorter. Also I feel this summer’s linen is not as nice as the one from last year, when I got the green linen.

Eagerly awaiting any archivesale coming up... No clue when though.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got the email from Drakes's with linen shirts. Looking good. A couple of nice colors beyond the basic white, navy. Linen shirts for warm weather are the ideal time to try a unique color.

Trevallon

Reaction score
New editorial on linen suggesting linen suits are coming soon: “With summer just about upon us, we are welcoming the arrival of a fresh batch of Drake's spread collar linen shirts, breezy suits, Italian five-pocked chore jackets in bright colours and soft and smart linen polo shirts...”

Ordered the ecru linen chore coat, but will return it. The fit is different from other chore coats I have - a same size 42 fits smaller and shorter. Also I feel this summer’s linen is not as nice as the one from last year, when I got the green linen.

Eagerly awaiting any archivesale coming up... No clue when though.
Did you notice if they changed the collar shape on the linen chore coats?
They look smaller to me, but maybe it is just their styling because they tend to turn up the collar in most pictures.

wahnamhong

Reaction score
They look smaller to me, but maybe it is just their styling because they tend to turn up the collar in most pictures.
Seems quite similar - see pic.
44954F06-DF4E-4AA2-9284-D820600B871A.jpeg

justinpledger

Reaction score

I bought my first linen chore coat this year - I have several others (canvas, denim, suede and tencel). The collar is definitely smaller than the collars found on all of those other chore coats. The linen also comes up bigger. I'm a 38 usually but a 36 in the linen chore. The team in the shop advised me to size down and they were right! The 38 was like wearing a tent! But it's a beautiful chore and the photos don't do the buttons justice. They're really quite beautiful up close.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has to be Drakes' weakest spring/summer offering in recent memory. Nothing even resembling a proper "collection" and no spring tailoring (aside from a smattering of Games pieces). Bizarrely, Drakes instead released a few wooly winter tweeds. It's a head-scratcher. The only Drakes offering from this year that I find even a little interesting is the new flat front chino, which does look great and which Drakes hadn't offered for a while.

Seatown collection has this linen cotton sport coat

And this linen blazer

mbb355

Reaction score
Seatown collection has this linen cotton sport coat

And this linen blazer

Good point, I hadn't noticed the glen plaid jacket, which looks good. I don't think they've advertised it as part of the Seatown (or any) collection, though? Which is surprising as I'd have thought it'd be a centerpiece.

nprose

Reaction score
I think Seatown is meant to work ironically. It's like a hat with "sports team" on. No-one even in England will have heard of the place, almost doesn't need to exist.

Suspect it may not be the 'closest beach to the Drake’s shirt factory in Chard, Somerset' but sounded the best
I get that. I'm generally anti-irony, in style, in art etc. but I get that it's popular and some people say the future of clothes (ie rowing blazers lolz)

JIMIG

Reaction score
I have a sizing question for chore coats (specifically the cotton canvas):

I am 186 cm, 76 kg. 99 cm chest. I typically wear 38 and M in most things. 38L in tailoring from spier and Mackay. I was planning to order a chore coat in 38, but not sure if I should size up to 40 for added length?

Also (for those who own it): do you like the cotton canvas fabric? Does the collar stand up nicely?

thanks!

adiblas

Reaction score
I have a sizing question for chore coats (specifically the cotton canvas):

I am 186 cm, 76 kg. 99 cm chest. I typically wear 38 and M in most things. 38L in tailoring from spier and Mackay. I was planning to order a chore coat in 38, but not sure if I should size up to 40 for added length?

Also (for those who own it): do you like the cotton canvas fabric? Does the collar stand up nicely?

thanks!
I am similar build to you (slightly larger) and have a cotton canvas chore jacket in 40. I would give a try to the size 40

nprose

Reaction score

justinpledger

Reaction score
I know toweling shirts are popular right now, but I don't think a toweling chore coat is a piece that needs to exist lol - https://www.drakes.com/usa/clothing...tton-terry-towelling-five-pocket-chore-jacket

@justinpledger that ecru linen chore coat looks fantastic! That might be the piece of the season. I think it's been commented on already, but I'm really missing the cohesive, seasonal lookbook we've had in previous years.

When I first saw the towelling chore last year I thought it was ridiculous but actually, it's kinda grown on me this year and I find myself actually wanting one! 🙈 I saw it in the shop in Savile Row yesterday and was tempted, especially when I was told that it was £325. However, looking at the website today, I see that it is not £325 (which is pretty expensive for a towel cut like a jacket in the first place) but £495. This seems an insane price to me!

nprose

Reaction score
When I first saw the towelling chore last year I thought it was ridiculous but actually, it's kinda grown on me this year and I find myself actually wanting one! 🙈 I saw it in the shop in Savile Row yesterday and was tempted, especially when I was told that it was £325. However, looking at the website today, I see that it is not £325 (which is pretty expensive for a towel cut like a jacket in the first place) but £495. This seems an insane price to me!
Yea, it's $725 I think US. Maybe it's a California thing, it's hard to imagine busting out a toweling chore coat at the beach for me lol!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads