• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know no one ever reads long articles (I don't either, most of the time), but for those interested and who have time to pass, I found these two articles about cultural appropriation interesting.

The first is by Susan Scafidi, a fashion scholar who has written a book about the subject. She distilled her view in this article for Time.

This Current Affairs article by Briahana Joy Gray focuses on the economic aspect of cultural production:

My own position is closer to Scafidi's when it comes to fashion. I like guayaberas but don't own one. I think they would look cool with a pair of shorts and some huaraches. Personally, if I were to buy one, I would just buy from a more "authentic" maker like Ramon Puig.

nycs10011

Reaction score
Not that I'd want to steer away from the current topic of conversation but did anyone else notice the new polo coat mixed in with the latest jersey edit?
22_7.jpg
23_22.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks great. I also dig the polo coat over a sweatsuit combo :hide:

One of the nice things about a machine-made polo coat is that you get those very thick, plump edges, which you don't get with handsewing.

Yasuto in something similar:

tumblr_1fa86b0fce856314992a0dc16f2b3c08_ae425f74_540.png

Dadacantona

Reaction score
Not that I'd want to steer away from the current topic of conversation but did anyone else notice the new polo coat mixed in with the latest jersey edit?
22_7.jpg
23_22.jpg
A bit annoyed at Drake‘s for coming out with this just as I commit to not spending any more money on clothes for the rest of the year.

nycs10011

Reaction score
A bit annoyed at Drake‘s for coming out with this just as I commit to not spending any more money on clothes for the rest of the year.

Also, a bit annoyed I pulled the trigger on a polo coat last year after years and years of coveting one and now Drake's comes out with a classic camel version.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is honestly the worst thread on CM, and CM is the worst side of StyleForum, including CE.

Nearly every thread at this point is just about shoes and shoes alone. Not even how to wear shoes well, just how shoes are built and how to buy them.

Then there are three watch threads. Again, mostly about them as standalone objects.

MC General Chat (a thread I started!) is mostly terrible.

Drake's is just arguments. Literally nothing else but arguments and sales notices.

Foo's cowboy thread was good for a moment and now is also terrible.

Can't forget the regularly occurring threads about "does anyone dress up anymore?" "Is the tie dead?" "Does anyone still wear a suit?" "Do people ask you why you're so dressed up?" "Are shorts gentlemanly?" "Is the whole world devolving into athleisure?" "Why don't people dress up anymore?" "Look at these slobs!"

Sorry, just venting. I realize this post is also not fun or contributing anything.

Last edited:

nycs10011

Reaction score
This is deliberately ugly, right? Because no one in their sound mind think this outfit looks good.

I think the coat looks great, would make a garbage bag look better. I wouldn't wear it this way, but I don't think it looks bad if you're comparing it to the typical athleisure look that's literally everywhere.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the coat looks great, would make a garbage bag look better. I wouldn't wear it this way, but I don't think it looks bad if you're comparing it to the typical athleisure look that's literally everywhere.
I agree that the coat is an absolute beast! But I would be more inclined to buy it if it was styled differently.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the coat is an absolute beast! But I would be more inclined to buy it if it was styled differently.
Agreed. Pretty awesome coat but poorly styled in the photos.

nycs10011

Reaction score

We're probably in the minority here. I'm guessing there's a larger market of folks who are going to see this and think the coat would really up their existing casual style rather than supplement an already classic wardrobe.

Honestly, I kinda like the look. As a nerd who thinks of the history, I think it relates back to the sportswear origins of the style.

Calanon

Reaction score
I love the look of the coat. Unfortunately, I won't really be able to justify another coat.
I do wish Drake's would bring back the light blue Chard Racquets cap. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads