• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I’ve always found this policy strange. You look at the success of Grailed which has no community, at least compared to SF and I always wonder why SF didn’t bolt a better sales platform onto the forum. The ability to sell to engaged (obsessed) fans of Niche brands inline and where those fans spend too much time seemed like a no brainer to me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My impression is that StyleForum has a sort of light-touch moderation style, where people have to be really egregious about rule-breaking to get reprimanded. But the general rule regarding sales posts is there to help discussion threads feel engaging. If you let sales posts in discussion threads, the profit motive would basically migrate B&S over into the main discussion forums, which would make it difficult to have discussions.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup I get the idea behind having a separate thread. My somewhat cynical view is that for the Drake's thread, there are some interesting discussions every once in a while, but I tune a lot of it out when it devolves into the ridiculous stuff. But I understand why you'd want to have a general policy like that.

As for the light touch style, I guess I'll just hold on any further comment since I find creating a B&S listing so burdensome and haven't visited B&S thread in ages to browse either.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yup I get the idea behind having a separate thread. My somewhat cynical view is that for the Drake's thread, there are some interesting discussions every once in a while, but I tune a lot of it out when it devolves into the ridiculous stuff. But I understand why you'd want to have a general policy like that.

Imagine if we could stop bickering about Drake's prices and instead bicker about secondary market prices.

Nbarbar

Reaction score
I've also never seen this policy enforced?
I’ve posted a few random WTB comments about Drakes pieces over the years that have always been removed. No different really to the WTB signature people use. I do understand not wanting to pollute the thread, but it would be useful for those who want to transact to be able to do so in a simple manner.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone have any experience with Drake's flannel shirts? I am having real trouble with sizing. I have put on a lot of weight during lockdown ? I intend to lose it but you have to buy clothes that fit you now right and not in the future... At least, I think that's the received wisdom. Anywayyyy...

In most shirts by Drake's I am a size 16 and the fit is ok. I bought this shirt in a medium and I couldn't do up the neck. So I exchanged it for the large and the neck isn't much bigger but at least I can just about do it up. But boy the sleeves and chest are pretty big!!! It's a weird sizing, this shirt.

My question is, will this shrink? I love the colour and style of it but do I go with a medium that I can't do up at the neck but that looks good in the body and sleeve length. Or do I go with the large and hope it shrinks a bit. I mean, I am never going to do the neck up but it feels weird to buy a shirt that I can't do up at the neck - even if I never will. Does that make sense?

Please help if you can!

Thanks!

J

I never button the neck of my flannel shirts, so that part wouldn't bother me. Personally, I would go by how the chest, shoulders, and sleeves fit.

If a shirt shrinks, it's usually lengthwise, not width.

If neither of those sizes work for you, Freenote Cloth used the same fabric this season. The style is slightly different -- the bias-cut pockets and cat-eye buttons throw this more towards a workwear vibe, I think. If you wanted it to fit a more "Drake's aesthetic," I think you would want to change the buttons. But the sizing may fit you better, depending on what you're looking for. I'm linking Freenote's site, but you can find the same shirt by just Googling around.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve posted a few random WTB comments about Drakes pieces over the years that have always been removed. No different really to the WTB signature people use. I do understand not wanting to pollute the thread, but it would be useful for those who want to transact to be able to do so in a simple manner.
I agree, I understand not allowing members to post their for sale items, because that could really clog up the thread, but I don't think the policy works for WTB items. No one is going through the BST section looking for things they own that people are looking to buy, that makes no sense. Allowing WTB posts here makes way more sense because this is where they are likely to be seen by members who own the items and might consider parting with them.

Anyway, if that's not going to be allowed then I guess a secondary BST Drakes thread would be the next best thing.

emptym

Reaction score
I’ve always found this policy strange. You look at the success of Grailed which has no community, at least compared to SF and I always wonder why SF didn’t bolt a better sales platform onto the forum. The ability to sell to engaged (obsessed) fans of Niche brands inline and where those fans spend too much time seemed like a no brainer to me.
BST wasn't great when we moved to this platform, and the one before that. But now it's pretty good imo. I've bought a couple things over the past few months and have one thing for sale. There's now a button that even lets you pay through Paypal. But if you have suggestions for improvements, I think there's a dedicated thread for that or you could pm LA Guy or Admin.
I've also never seen this policy enforced?
You had a BST post deleted in the Stoffa thread fairly recently. When we delete a post, we send a notice, and if the person does it again, they get a 2 day TO. I'm sure there's a few regulars in this thread who could attest to that.
My impression is that StyleForum has a sort of light-touch moderation style, where people have to be really egregious about rule-breaking to get reprimanded. But the general rule regarding sales posts is there to help discussion threads feel engaging. If you let sales posts in discussion threads, the profit motive would basically migrate B&S over into the main discussion forums, which would make it difficult to have discussions.
Yeah, I think most people would prefer threads to not have any BST content, based on several past discussions of this and the fact that people usually report BST posts and ask for their deletion. I've said this before, but moderation is basically about trying to balance between those who feel they have the right to post whatever they want and those who feel they have the right only to see whatever they want.
There are differences between posts and sigs. For example, you can turn off sigs. B&S is that simple venue.
I agree, I understand not allowing members to post their for sale items, because that could really clog up the thread, but I don't think the policy works for WTB items. No one is going through the BST section looking for things they own that people are looking to buy, that makes no sense. Allowing WTB posts here makes way more sense because this is where they are likely to be seen by members who own the items and might consider parting with them.

Anyway, if that's not going to be allowed then I guess a secondary BST Drakes thread would be the next best thing.
Some people look for WTB in B&S.

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BST wasn't great when we moved to this platform, and the one before that. But now it's pretty good imo. I've bought a couple things over the past few months and have one thing for sale. There's now a button that even lets you pay through Paypal. But if you have suggestions for improvements, I think there's a dedicated thread for that or you could pm LA Guy or Admin.

You had a BST post deleted in the Stoffa thread fairly recently. When we delete a post, we send a notice, and if the person does it again, they get a 2 day TO. I'm sure there's a few regulars in this thread who could attest to that.

Yeah, I think most people would prefer threads to not have any BST content, based on several past discussions of this and the fact that people usually report BST posts and ask for their deletion. I've said this before, but moderation is basically about trying to balance between those who feel they have the right to post whatever they want and those who feel they have the right only to see whatever they want.

There are differences between posts and sigs. For example, you can turn off sigs. B&S is that simple venue.

Unless there is a way to search it for location - and if there is, then it isn’t obvious- B&S is almost completely useless if you live in Europe. Anything I’d want to buy is buried in US posts.

There used to be a European buy sell thread that was ok, if a little slow.

Nbarbar

Reaction score

Well said

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless there is a way to search it for location - and if there is, then it isn’t obvious- B&S is almost completely useless if you live in Europe. Anything I’d want to buy is buried in US posts.

There used to be a European buy sell thread that was ok, if a little slow.

I have a length of fabric I bought in B&S from Europe. I don't really know why you think things need to be segmented by region

polyfusion

Reaction score
I find that the most important thing with knitwear sizing is that the ribbing on the bottom is tight enough so that it stays where you want it. If it does that, it will look fine. Rubato is a good example of this. Their sweaters definitely have a different vibe as a result of being fuller, but they don't look too big.

I’m really glad someone mentioned Rubato. I’ve been intrigued by this brand for a long time but yet to make a purchase. Always wondered if it was as good as it looks.Absolutely love their classic menswear feel, almost 1950s, but with a hint of modern scandi elegance . really cool and totally unique I think.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads