• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
?‍♂️ i thought this was going to be a serious story
giphy (2).gif

DouglasE

Reaction score
Enjoyed the latest article "Tailoring for Younger Men" - great pictures and answers from Jake. Not sure that I agree with Liverano on having suits in four season cloths, though.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the latest article "Tailoring for Younger Men" - great pictures and answers from Jake. Not sure that I agree with Liverano on having suits in four season cloths, though.

Thanks for the spotlight. I really enjoy reading Derek's work, but don't check his sites frequently enough.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yea, I was surprised by that as well. Maybe it's because he lives in a more temperate climate?

I only have one "proper" suit. It's a navy suit made from a Harrison's Oyster hopsack. I rarely wear it, tbh. I hear from a lot of clothiers that they also rarely sell suits anymore, it's almost always sport coats.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is possible to have 4 season suits in moderate climates. In my home town the average temperature range from 3 - 16 degrees celsius (37-60 f).

The retailers I have talked to, and their sales section, also tell of declining suit sales. What I find strange is that they keep pushing gray/navy flap pocket worsted suits from several brands in the same store.

In my mind it would be better to have two staple suits and several blazer suits Where it should be easier to sell the jacket and convince the customer to pick up matching pants as well.

DouglasE

Reaction score
Living close to my (law firm) office in Sweden, I could probably wear 340-370 gr/12-13 Oz suits 10 months per year. I enjoy wearing those as they are versatile and conservative business dress. However, it would be quite boring to not also wear heavier flannel in winter and tropical wool in summer.

Sammm

Reaction score
Bit of a tangent, but I really liked this view on almost-suits, i.e. (shirt-)jackets and pants in almost-matching fabrics that were not designed to go together. https://streetxsprezza.wordpress.co...ing-alternatives-replacements-with-tailoring/. I tried it recently with an overshirt and almost-matching pants and I felt it had some of the benefits of a suit (big striking block of color) but without the formal connotations.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a Texan, I have no need for a flannel or other heavy wool suit. A winter suit would might work for maybe 10 days a year.

Alexidb

Reaction score
Bit of a tangent, but I really liked this view on almost-suits, i.e. (shirt-)jackets and pants in almost-matching fabrics that were not designed to go together.

I’ve been thinking of rocking a Patagonia hempwear work shirt and trousers in matching black. I think this might look cool over a chambray shirt.

1172FDA3-73BC-4BF9-8D18-D6AFA0D58717.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads