• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the mid 60's in Bronxville NY (right out side of NYC) we were not allowed to wear blue jeans to school. So in Fall/Winter we all wore 5 pocket Lee fine wale corduroys in off white, brown, green and in Spring/ Summer we wore off white (natural cotton color) Lee five pockets. Then a guy (Corky Smith) moved from Atlanta and wore bright white 5 pocket jeans around '67 and we all had to have them to wear with our madras belts, Bass Weejeens and blue OCBD's. In 1969, they dropped the ban on blue jeans.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an SEH Kelly balmacaan? What is the fit like? Their size chart says medium is a 40 but the measurements look a bit slim

weriker

Reaction score
Anyone have an SEH Kelly balmacaan?

Yes and I'd say the fit is fairly generous - I went with my normal coat-size here:
I put it on as well, for a quick and dirty mirror selfie:
a4aeefc1-3620-4b3a-ba9d-481463c48aa2-jpeg.1690307
12300be8-def5-40f0-8eca-d985c2f5faab-jpeg.1690308

But it surely is best to compare the measurements with those of overcoats already in your possession. I did the same and could get a pretty good estimate of how the fit would be.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes and I'd say the fit is fairly generous - I went with my normal coat-size here:

But it surely is best to compare the measurements with those of overcoats already in your possession. I did the same and could get a pretty good estimate of how the fit would be.
Thanks! I don't have any raglan coats so it is hard to get an accurate judge of the fit from the measurements without knowing how high/low the armholes are and such. Appreciate the pic

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this dropped today. Has Todd Snyder sold Beams+ before?

krudsma

Reaction score
Funny enough, I already had three DWW tabs about overcoats open when the latest post came out. I just received a beautiful vintage cashmere piece in the mail but regrettably I overestimated how forgiving raglan shoulders would be on my narrow frame. Sending it back this week and hopefully the next one (which is on in the mail now) will fit better. Live and learn.

1635809629734.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny enough, I already had three DWW tabs about overcoats open when the latest post came out. I just received a beautiful vintage cashmere piece in the mail but regrettably I overestimated how forgiving raglan shoulders would be on my narrow frame. Sending it back this week and hopefully the next one (which is on in the mail now) will fit better. Live and learn.

View attachment 1696029

Do you mean you don't like that coat? Sleeves look like they can be lengthened, but I think it looks nice on you.

Bottom of the coat is swinging out, but I assume that's your stance. If you can lengthen teh sleeves, I think it's a keeper.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1696029
Wait what's the issue?

I think it looks great on you.

You want something slimmer or roomier?

Roomier I can understand, but slimmer sounds meh.

krudsma

Reaction score
Do you mean you don't like that coat? Sleeves look like they can be lengthened, but I think it looks nice on you.

Bottom of the coat is swinging out, but I assume that's your stance. If you can lengthen teh sleeves, I think it's a keeper.

It actually looks pretty great in the picture, but when I was moving around in it the shoulders felt very broad. I assumed that because they're raglan they would just conform to my natural shoulder but the way that seam is sewn makes them stick out a bit. It doesn't feel like theres any structure in there though so maybe it's something I can alter on my own.

The chest also feels MASSIVE. My chest measure about 36" and the pit-to-pit on this thing is 25". I know these should fit roomy but is that too roomy?

It was also like $150 so maybe I should just keep it regardless.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It actually looks pretty great in the picture, but when I was moving around in it the shoulders felt very broad. I assumed that because they're raglan they would just conform to my natural shoulder but the way that seam is sewn makes them stick out a bit. It doesn't feel like theres any structure in there though so maybe it's something I can alter on my own.

The chest also feels MASSIVE. My chest measure about 36" and the pit-to-pit on this thing is 25". I know these should fit roomy but is that too roomy?

It was also like $150 so maybe I should just keep it regardless.

I'm a 37 chest and tried Camoshita's bal coat last year. IIRC, I tried the coat in a size 36 (or 46 EU) and it measured something like 48" all around. So just a little slimmer than yours, but barely. I really liked how the coat looked.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A roomy raglan coat usually feels completely different to something tailored. I am also swimming in mine, but it looks great.

The roomy drape vibes are something you have to get used to.

The vertical creases on your coat look ideal to me. A year or two ago I would've wanted something with a "clean" fit, now I think it doesn't look as good on a Balmacaan.

krudsma

Reaction score
I'm a 37 chest and tried Camoshita's bal coat last year. IIRC, I tried the coat in a size 36 (or 46 EU) and it measured something like 48" all around. So just a little slimmer than yours, but barely. I really liked how the coat looked.
A roomy raglan coat usually feels completely different to something tailored. I am also swimming in mine, but it looks great.

The roomy drape vibes are something you have to get used to.

The vertical creases on your coat look ideal to me. A year or two ago I would've wanted something with a "clean" fit, now I think it doesn't look as good on a Balmacaan.

Ok this is good encouragement, thank you both. I've got a two week return window so I'll wear it on my next couple dog walks and feel it out. I love the coat itself so I'll be thrilled if it works out.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Ok this is good encouragement, thank you both. I've got a two week return window so I'll wear it on my next couple dog walks and feel it out. I love the coat itself so I'll be thrilled if it works out.

I agree with above sentiments, I was struggling to see what looked off other than sleeve length. Looks good to me!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michealhardy