• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my money the best sweater material is the 80/20 alpaca/silk mix that Inis Meain uses. Warmth, softness, durability, doesn’t pill, and great colors.

Pulpo

Reaction score
What's the verdict on chunky knit cotton sweaters? I'm of two minds. On one hand they're less scratchy, add some warmth without being sweltering, can have similar patterns and coloring to wool knits, and are machine washable (not to mention cheaper).

On the other, they can tend to stretch out and lose their shape, they're heavier than wool, and can't achieve the same level of texture. That said, I think I end up wearing mine more than most of my wool knits just because of the heat factor and ease of wear.

Is there a better option that's not full wool? Linen and silk blends or other fabrics?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the verdict on chunky knit cotton sweaters? I'm of two minds. On one hand they're less scratchy, add some warmth without being sweltering, can have similar patterns and coloring to wool knits, and are machine washable (not to mention cheaper).

On the other, they can tend to stretch out and lose their shape, they're heavier than wool, and can't achieve the same level of texture. That said, I think I end up wearing mine more than most of my wool knits just because of the heat factor and ease of wear.

Is there a better option that's not full wool? Linen and silk blends or other fabrics?

I'd take a silk/cashmere blend over cotton. The silk has a cooling effect, and combined with cashmere makes for a comfortable knit.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score

This is going to sound sacriligeous but the softest, most comfortable jumper I've ever owned was a 50/50 cotton/acrylic blend one from American Eagle. Stretched out like crazy though. PUt it in the washer to try and shrink it and the (faux) leather elbow patches ripped. lol.

Pulpo

Reaction score
This is going to sound sacriligeous but the softest, most comfortable jumper I've ever owned was a 50/50 cotton/acrylic blend one from American Eagle. Stretched out like crazy though. PUt it in the washer to try and shrink it and the (faux) leather elbow patches ripped. lol.

Lol I got you, I had an old sweater from American Apparel I bought because it was softest thing I'd ever touched. It was a cotton poly acrylic blend I believe. Way softer than any natural fiber. After wearing it twice the neck hole was about as wide as the waist. Demon fabric from hell, would not buy again. Lesson learned.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In response to the Put This On article, I'd only caution that people who want to buy a turtleneck ought to make sure it actually suits them first. If you have a short neck or broad face, it won't look as well as if you had a long neck and sharper features.

I wanted to hear if anyone had an opinion on knitwear that isn't shetland or merino, but something more like a Guernsey or Normandy sweater? By that I mean, smooth because the lanolin hasn't been stripped from the wool, but still textured and water-resilient, etc. It has to be my favourite material for knitwear, by far.

I recently got an O'Mallie hand knit Aran. The knitting is a lot tighter than Inis Meain, but the wool is singifincally less processed and much more itchy. It also still has lanolin in the wool. Ordering was easy, but communication was not great throughout the process even though it was always friendly and earnest. I got a roll neck in oatmeal. It's really heavy. They also nailed the fit on the length for arm length and chest. The midsection is a little bulky, but not overly so.

karmaguy

Reaction score
I bought one from Flamborough Marine. Found out about them through this cover of W Magazine, which featured Daniel Day-Lewis in a sweater that he had brought from home. He had this custom knitted through Flamborough.

View attachment 1490106

Flamborough is a small company that works with a network of custom knitters in Britain, mostly old ladies. The woman who knitted my sweater is in her 70s, I believe.

View attachment 1490104 View attachment 1490105
View attachment 1490103

Since these are handknitted, they can be customized however you want (sizing and pattern). I modeled mine after something they made for the actor Rajiv Surendra.

View attachment 1490101 View attachment 1490102

i've been close to buying one for a while but I'm always so worried I'll **** up on sizing...

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of tees, any recs for wide- or u- neck tees to wear under knits so the collar doesn’t show?

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of tees, any recs for wide- or u- neck tees to wear under knits so the collar doesn’t show?

I was thinking of trying the Merz Schwanen u necks that have been recommended a few times in the NMWA thread. Looks like previous seasons have sold through and FW stock hasn't dropped yet though.

Racing Green

Reaction score
On the subject of tees, the Teamster made
tees that Heddels have are ridiculously good value for $22. Among the nicest I own including from various well known Japanese brands.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I swear I want that aesthetic of a turtleneck, but then I always remember how easily I sweat with NO sweater.

They look cool, but seem uncomfortable and stuffy.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I love my Merz U necks (I was one of the ones recommending them in the NMWA thread) but I can't find them anywhere - I'm not even sure if Merz makes them that much anymore?

kaizerpi

Reaction score
The Heimat mock neck sweaters at the Armory look really appealing to me.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Trunk Clothiers five pocket cords look really good, a shame they're already sold out in most sizes. Anyone tried them?

I just got them. The material feels quite nice to the touch. It's also stretch. It's pretty fitted, which I guess is fine? It doesn't feel tight when I am standing and walking. The stretch allows me to sit down comfortably. Thoughts on the fit? The sweatshirt I'm wearing is oversized.

Attachments

• Image (2).jpeg
    Image (2).jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 120

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads