• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
But only on the right leg as you are probably right quad dominant. Go 20.5cm on the left.

After several years of close to zero exercise and lots of time sitting at a desk with my legs crossed I wound up with one calf that was visibly larger than the other. It freaked me out, but I've evened out again after a lot of work.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do the styleforum thing and ask your tailor to slim the leg from 21 cm to 20.75 cm.

And while they're still pinned stand in front of a mirror and raise your hand to mimic hailing a cab, lean forward at the waist and pretend to eat a hotdog, and feign jumping over a slush pile on an NYC corner to see how they fall.

It's the only way to be SF sure.

lefty

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@emptym have you ever chucked in rayon shirts with a regular cold cycle with other laundry?

I finally bought one, but still a bit hesitant.

The tag does say "machine wash cold".

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@emptym have you ever chucked in rayon shirts with a regular cold cycle with other laundry?

I think the key with synthetics is to limit how much and how aggressively you agitate the garment when cleaning, as that friction can cause fiber damage and instigate shrinkage. There seems to be some consensus that soaking the garment using something like Soak (dieworkwear rec) with some gentle agitation is better than putting it through the washing machine. I just started doing this with my synthetics/delicates and so far there has been very minimal shrinkage, although that may change with future soaks.

You may want to dry the shirt flat, so you don't stretch/distort the material. These were recommended in another thread where we were just discussing this.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the key with synthetics is to limit how much and how aggressively you agitate the garment when cleaning, as that friction can cause fiber damage and instigate shrinkage. There seems to be some consensus that soaking the garment using something like Soak (dieworkwear rec) with some gentle agitation is better than putting it through the washing machine. I just started doing this with my synthetics/delicates and so far there has been very minimal shrinkage, although that may change with future soaks.

You may want to dry the shirt flat, so you don't stretch/distort the material. These were recommended in another thread where we were just discussing this.
All of that sounds like a massive pain ********** for a shirt.

Guess I'll test it out with a regular cold wash and see what happens.

emptym

Reaction score

I had some 100% rayon shirts back in the late 80s/early 90s, and I don't remember them needing any special care. I think I only have blends now and they're all machine washable. The various tri-blend t-shirts or even some sweatshirts have rayon in them, and I wouldn't say they're more delicate than other fibers. Could depend on the weave or other qualities.

Personally I wash and dry almost everything when I first get it to avoid surprises later. Eventually I or someone else will probably wash and/or dry something that isn't supposed to be.

The rare times I handwash things, I like Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, except for wool sweaters, for which I use regular shampoo and conditioner.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of that sounds like a massive pain ********** for a shirt.

Guess I'll test it out with a regular cold wash and see what happens.

Fashün is pain.

dkboze

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried to shrink rayon intentionally? Been wondering how that would go for something that’s almost a full size too big

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got these linen pants from Anglo-Italian and the calves are severely tapered. I have runner’s calves and need a little more room. Was going to return them but noticed there is plenty of fabric inside and will have my tailor widen them.

Hopefully it will not throw off the silhouette. Any advice on that tailoring procedure?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads