• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I may be the proud owner of a pair of Alden snuff suede flexwelt chukkas in the next day or so, finalizing details with the guys at Blackbird.

So excited, finally!

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

I know the constant sizing questions are a bit of a bore, but can someone help me out with some advice? I would like to get in on the MTO order but I don't own anything on the Plaza last.
I wear a 7.5B in the Hampton comfortably, and 7 is my correct length in the Barrie (though I'm not sure the width). I measure slightly longer than 7.5 on the Brannock (both total length and heel to ball) with a width between C and B.
I think I should probably take a 7.5B on the Plaza, but I'm not sure since I have the Alden for BB wingtip bal in a 7D and it fits about one width too wide (fine in length though). I emailed Alden regarding the BB wingtips and they said the BB last should fit like the Plaza even though they aren't the same last. That makes me suspect that a 7C on the plaza might be a better fit for my particular foot.
Does anyone have any experience with the both the BB wingtip bal and an Alden Plaza lasted shoe?

I am between 11.5 and 12 in length, leaning towards 12, and solid A on the Brannock. I have a 12B Plaza shell chukka. According to Tom Park, "B" is the narrowest Plaza width. The B width fits me quite well. I think either width would work for you. It depends upon how you snug you like to wear your shoes. The length is a bit more of of an issue for me. I think the 12 is slightly long for me but it still works. I'd like to test an 11.5 sometime but shoes as narrow as my foot aren't available for testing. So, I live with what I can get. I would not size down on length even though the Plaza is very slightly elongated. As always, YMMV.

Last edited:

choptreesv

Reaction score
could someone school me on the difference between these two welts? (both cigar indys). Why is it that the uppers on the Leffot JC Indy boot meet the sole flush, where the ones from theshoemart have additional extra leather strip going around?

Leffot:

Theshoemart:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The extra bit of leather is the "reverse" or "storm" welt. Supposedly, they make the shoe more water tight.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Inspired by Uncle Mac, I purchased my first pair of Marcoliani argyles albeit mid calf. Also picked up this new pair of #8 LHS from a hole in the wall shoe repair shop in the neighboring small town. I decided to go there today to get my wife's shoes topied as I remembered they sold some Aldens when I was there a couple of years ago. The left shoe probably has been the display model since I was last there and both shoes were coated liberally with bloom. The marked price was from several price rises ago and since the left display shoe was a little lighter in color I got them for a very nice price and they threw in cedar trees!
Once home I cleaned them up and treated them with a lot of Saphir Renovateur. Still need to brush a lot but another hole in the lineup has been filled plus my 16 year son can probably wear them too when needed.
img0968os.jpg

enjoy wearing
you did very well
good shine

Last edited:

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lagsun, I seem to be on the same page as you.....
Business Casual day at the office.
Alden #8 Shell Chucka (after applying the Mac Method last night). Picked this pair up during the J Crew 30% off sale at the end of last year.
Marcoliani Argyles OTC (thanks to Uncle Mac's recommendation!)
Classic Dark Demin Levis

good shine on your chukkas
always a good day for argyles

Briar Snob

Reaction score
Quote:

I'm fairly confident I saw them in the DC store recently. Give them a call.

Last edited:

localman

Reaction score
As a follow up to my post before regarding the speed hooks tearing out of my #8 J Crew Cap Toe's. I was able to get the order information from the guy I bought them from and J Crew is currently sending me a new pair. Customer service was pretty excellent. Boots were originally purchased end of November.

And with all that said I just bought a pair of the J Crew Indy's.

I went from 0 to 2 pair in two weeks.

******* Alden.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score

could someone school me on the difference between these two welts? (both cigar indys). Why is it that the uppers on the Leffot JC Indy boot meet the sole flush, where the ones from theshoemart have additional extra leather strip going around?
Leffot:

Theshoemart:
The extra bit of leather is the "reverse" or "storm" welt. Supposedly, they make the shoe more water tight.

the boot on the top has an all-around regular or flat welt and the boot on the bottom has an all-around reverse welt.

alden makes no claim that either of these welts are more water tight. in fact, water will get through any of these welts - even the storm welt. the difference is purely cosmetic.

advan031

Reaction score

PTB in modified last from Shoe Mart...debating whether to keep or not.

kippy

Reaction score

Leffot:

Theshoemart:

From a technical perspective, one has a flat welt and another has the reverse welt - that strip of leather standing up around the edge of the upper all around the shoe.

In terms of impact on appearance, I think the reverse welt makes a shoe or boot look more substantial, perhaps a bit more casual. Depending on what you are wearing it with, you can go either way. As I normally wear my Aldens with jeans, I prefer a reverse or storm welt. I think a regular welt adds some class or perhaps makes the shoe appear a tad sleeker. On an Indy boot, having a flat welt might make it appear a tiny bit less rugged.

It comes down to your own taste and goals for your outfits. Hope that helps.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From a technical perspective, one has a flat welt and another has the reverse welt - that strip of leather standing up around the edge of the upper all around the shoe.
In terms of impact on appearance, I think the reverse welt makes a shoe or boot look more substantial, perhaps a bit more casual. Depending on what you are wearing it with, you can go either way. As I normally wear my Aldens with jeans, I prefer a reverse or storm welt. I think a regular welt adds some class or perhaps makes the shoe appear a tad sleeker. On an Indy boot, having a flat welt might make it appear a tiny bit less rugged.
It comes down to your own taste and goals for your outfits. Hope that helps.

Well said. I share your POV, too.

The recent Leffot #8 LWB w/ antique edge were pictured w/ reverse welts, but somehow Alden made the larger sizes w/ the flat welt. I ended up returning mine due to the difference. On the one hand, a minor element in an all around gorgeous make up. On the other, for a nearly $650 shoe, I want the details to be right (for me) and I just don't love the flat welt on the LWBs.

For some reason, it looks different to my eye on boots, though. Maybe that's just me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene