***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Senior member

re: on boots, you've got something there. I notice that on my shoes, I prefer the storm welt but on boots, I think the regular welt looks better, especially if paired with cordovan and a leather soul. Perhaps since a boot already looks rugged, the flat welt smooths out the appearance when paired with shiny cordovan? Having said this, I really like the way the storm welt looks on the Ravello Wing Tip boots from Shoemart.

Always amazing to me how small details make such a large impression in the way we perceive the look of our shoes.

2. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

Anyone gotten a shoemart 2nds email recently? Last one I received was in November.

3. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

so i called alden of sf looking for some black boots and they have a straight tip boot in black cordovan on double leather soles and barrie last that isn't shown on the website, but they don't email pics. anyone have these and want to share a picture? i want some black boots so bad.

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

5. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

Unionmade has these Barrie lasted boots: http://www.unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Kirkwood_Cordovan_Cap_Toe_Boot_in_Black_3536.html If you want to try a different last, The Shoe Mart has these Grant lasted boots: http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-me...d-4065_ald_m_cap_toe_boot_shell_cordovan.html I happen to own the Grant lasted boots and I love them. My pair is a 9D (I wear an 8.5D on the Barrie) and fits perfectly. As far as Alden SF and their no pic policy, they can eff off. I live in San Francisco and the guys that work at this store sometimes behave with such indifference that I would rather order my shoes from anywhere else.

6. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

Great insight... I see that you mentioned not sizing down on the plaza due to how elongated it is and that is precisely what scares me about ordering an 11D plaza. I am a 10.5D in the barrie last which is all I own at the moment but have been wanting to make the plaza switch for a while and this Epaulet makeup may finally be the one to do it, but before dropping a deposit I'd like to know what size I should stick with. I am definitely a 10.5D in the barrie but I must admit that there is a bit of room up front and would hate for the plaza last to cause even more room which makes me think I should stick with a 10.5D plaza. I've got a week to figure this out, hopefully I pick the right size.

7. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

I'm also interested in these plain toe natural CXL boots. Why are you unsure about keeping them?

8. onestar

onestar Well-Known Member

Thank you Uncle
    It's such a pleasure to wear beautiful shoes - and socks

9. Atcmg8803

Atcmg8803 Member

What does a retailer like Jcrew do with products like these boots when they come back? I am sure they repackage and reship the boots that have a "crease," etc. What do they do with a boot that has ripped out speed hooks? Is there a Jcrew outlet store or some equivalent to REI's
    Attic Sale where they sell everything that is scratched, worn, returned, etc. for reduced prices.

Originally Posted by localman [​IMG]

10. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

call them. I did not automatically receive the list but called them a couple of weeks back and there were additional ones than my list from November, but nothing that interested me...

11. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Thanks Uncle. Never liked argyles in the past until I saw all yours. A lot easier on the wallet too than buying more Aldens :)

12. EngProf

EngProf Senior member

. . . whereas I feel that the reverse welt makes a slightly bulbous last like the Barrie seem a little sleeker. Horses for courses.

13. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I see J. Crew added some new styles for SS. However, I noticed they raised the prices too. A normal LWBs is now over $500, with taxes it's going to come close to cordovan pricing territory now. :foo:

14. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Feeling the need for another Alden Collection Picture Day. Everyone round up their pictures & post them on Monday. Sound good?

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I wear a 10.5D Barrie and 11D Plaza.
    At LS last summer trying on some boot on Plaza but they didn't have an 11, only a 10.5.
    I could barely get that thing on my foot. It may have been okay lengthwise, but everywhere else it was too tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.