• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score
Definitely, they are good stuff. I have the Italian Brown (closest I could get to Ravello) and this Natural Shell (close to Whiskey and I thought it would be cool to have a natural shell sample).

I have two in natural - I've been using one for about five months now - care to guess what color it is at this point???

Last edited:

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great option! Keep em and send them to Alden for refinishing. I like it! After ten years you will be thankful because all these shoes wear and show different characteristics.

My Whiskey LWB seconds from TSM were also two different shades initially ("that's why they are seconds" was the direct quote from Joe as I tried them on). By the second month of ownership and after about 20 wears in the spring and early summer sun, they evened out so that you could not discern a difference whatsoever. If you cannot wait through a UV ray method then an Alden refinishing does seem like the next best thing. Letting anyone else futz with the color could be regretable.

Please, don't return them!

If you do I will be compelled to attempt to buy them and, if successful, proceed to live in my car until my wife gets over the purchase...

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your kind words and advice gentlemen. You have all proven that this forum (and thread) are veritable gold mines of information. I'm going to explore a couple of options and will get back to you. Dandy looks like a very interesting option, but will wait to hear what Alden suggest. Cheers!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'know, after wearing my tan calf boots and seeing these calfskin NST shoes recently, I'm beginning to think Alden calfskin may be underrated.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Buckeye Nation

Reaction score

Nice guys! I've been debating over the regular or fat version and whiskey or natural. I like the way yours has darkened some over time.

I discussed this in cordovan is pretty good detail with the guys at Ashland - this was a test (for me) to see what natural would go to over time, it's absolutely perfect (for me) right now. You handle it so much that you age it much faster than shoes.

Additionally you can use renomat to pull dye from your jeans out of the wallet w/o concern

By far my favorite purchase - like it even more than my shoes and you handle it so many times per day....

EDIT - great boots Ryden, I really like those, where are they from?

Last edited:

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discussed this in cordovan is pretty good detail with the guys at Ashland - this was a test (for me) to see what natural would go to over time, it's absolutely perfect (for me) right now. You handle it so much that you age it much faster than shoes.

Additionally you can use renomat to pull dye from your jeans out of the wallet w/o concern

By far my favorite purchase - like it even more than my shoes and you handle it so many times per day....

EDIT - great boots Ryden, I really like those, where are they from?

Thanks for the info. Not trying to turn this into an Ashland thread, but how do you like the size of the fat herbie? I have about nine or 10 regular cards in my current bifold. I'm wondering if I need the big one or whether I'm fine with just the regular Johnny the Fox bifold.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Finally back at home, I took my Color #2 LWBs for some more photographs. I am *hoping* to wear these bad boys on Thursday for their maiden voyage, but that largely depends on weather.

These have the single 1.5 or "one and a half" thick sole finished with the oil finish. Kind of an in between the flex-welt and the water-lock sole options...

And for fun... An old outdoor pic.

-Mike

I absolutely love those #2 LWBs!! Would love to find a pair one day. Congrats again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads