1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

guys.. im curious what the consensus is for conditioning CXL indys? i have saphir reno, pecards leather dressing, obaneufs, leather honey, alden boot cream and some others that im probably forgetting to mention. but i keep hearing that VSC is what should be used for the indys. so do i need to now get a bottle of VSC?

2. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Saphir Renovateur or Alden boot cream will serve you just fine.

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I have been liking VSC lately. Very nourishing without dulling the leather

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I've used Reno and VSC and liked them both. I've also tried Lexol and it's worked well also but harder for me to use because it's more liquid. My favorite now is Bick 4. Really like the stuff.

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

@rydenfan , @tifosi , jeez, I just noticed that you guys have over 7K posts!! And you both joined SF after I did!

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Tell me about it...I really need to get a hobby

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Other than boots??? [​IMG]

8. JjasonL

JjasonL Senior member

i also have huberd grease and boot oils that i use for my redwings and they darken up a pretty good amount hahah... ive seen ppl using the vsc without darkening the leather too much.. which is what im looking for! i know that reno doesnt darken leather so i guess i use reno and get a bottle of vsc also. thanks guys!

9. walds11

walds11 Senior member

What's good to treat the CXL boots against water and other elements? I prefer something that does not darken the CXL. I've used mink oil in the past. I believe that Leffot recommends Montana Pitch Blend leather dressing. What about Alden Leather Defender?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Each person has his own goals as far as how he wants this boots/shoes to look. So obviously, these comments are a reflection of how I like my boots to look.

CXL is a "casual" leather and develops a really nice patina very quickly. It's also chock full of oils/fats so there's really not much you need to do to them. I really don't think you need to "waterproof" them. I would treat them with Reno, VSC or Bick 4 once in a rare while. I've used all of these and none of them has darkened my Nat CXL noticeably.

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I have been wanting to get Bick4 but the shipping is too much for one bottle.

Splits anyone?? Haha

12. fitzcooper

fitzcooper Well-Known Member

@MrDV

Those ravello anatomica boots are awesome! I never really cared too much for plain toe boots or the modified last but the last few pages have changed my mind.

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

You buy multiple pairs of >$1K boots and you're worried about shipping???? Just sayin'.....

1 person likes this.
  14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

How do you think I have the money for said boots??? LOL

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Although I do like the Barrie last very much, the Modified last works very well for me as well. But like you, I wasn't too crazy for plain toe modified last boots as they reminded me of clown shoes (and it's been mentioned by others as well). But you're absolutely right, @MrDV and others who have scored from Anatomica are just showing how wrong I was to think that way.

1 person likes this.
  16. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

nice combo. lovely textures

1 person likes this.
  17. usfpaul82

usfpaul82 Well-Known Member

Quick question....I bought a pair of medium sized shoe trees from JOS A Bank for my size 9D JCrew Indys. They fit pretty tight, should I be concerned of stretching or anything like that with the tree in?

18. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Just a bit clownish ;)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Thanks gentlemen.
    I'm getting used to modified lasted boots as well. They're light, comfortable, and really showcase shell. I still struggle with how they look from certain angles, but they've been growing on me. I feel fortunate to have them and hope to keep in the rotation from now on.

1 person likes this.
  20. what whale

what whale Senior member

What do people make of Saphir edge dressing? I have my first pair of shell (975) and want to do some touching up.

What a pair of shoes, incidentally. At first I really wanted the antique trim a la Leffot but the black has totally won me over. Wore them last week with a three piece navy suit, this with jeans and an army green wool/cashmere topcoat from JCrew. Unstoppable with almost anything.

Cheers,
    ww

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.