***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

There is little to know difference in "build quality" between Alden and CJ. CJ finishes their shoes just slightly nicer in their bench grade (which the Darlton is). The handgrades are indeed "nicer" than Alden, though I have yet to love the aesthetic coming out of CJ. Too "sleek" for me.

I'll take cigar LWB over the Darlton all day every day.

If you love Alden but want to consider moving "on or up" from them, check out Carmina or Vass.

2. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Question on the BB vs stock LHS: Are there any differences between the two beside the BB version being unlined and not having the rows of stitching around the "tongue." It seems that the stock #986 has a wider heel/outsole (and a more substantial shoe in general), perhaps because of a different welt, but I'm having a hard time determining that from these photos. If anyone has experience with the two models, I'd appreciate your input, sizing included.
    BB:

[​IMG]
    986:

[​IMG]

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I've got both. 1 Pair unlined, 2 lined. Never noticed that there was a difference other than the lining, and the stitching on the tongue that necessarily goes with it. Unlined 9.5D (TTS), Lined 9C. Maybe could have gone smaller with the unlined, but the 9.5D works fine. Could not have gone larger with the lined, as I tried when I was dialing in. Started 9.5D, then tried 9D, finally arrived at 9C.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The length seems pretty similar despite being different sizes. At times I have wondered if BB adjusts their sizing .5 size to compensate for the spacious nature of the Van.

Good Luck

Edit: I recommend the Unlined where possible. Pardon the inappropriateness of my analogy, but the unlined feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of shell shoes. (even if you have socks on). The lined version feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of wooden clogs, at least until they are well broken-in. (Even with socks on).

(and yes, I do know from experience because I have actually tried it! I don't recommend it however, as its a great way to spread disease, like athletes...

...well, nevermind)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

wow. Glad you keep your socks on

5. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

This is so interesting, because I know people like sevenfoldtieguy say they take the same size in the stock Alden version as the BB unlined version.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

double post

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Yes, I've seen others mention that as well, which just adds to the mystery.

Ryden, I always leave my socks on, even when riding bareback.

(Ok, Enough, sorry for the pre-emptive snarkyness)

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It doesn't seem to stick.
    I made the corporate address the default, logged out, then checked again.
    Default went back to the member address.

9. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

Which boot is ultimately sleeker and more versatile for a #8 color cap toe? I may be considering a pair for jeans and chino/pants.

Alden plaza last cap toe or BB Peal Cordovan cap toe?

10. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Eff. But at least we know the resolution, right? (Manually going in and changing it.)

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Just called BB Customer service to get some answers on how to use the corporate discount online. They said I had to call back tomorrow because the corporate discount folks leave at 5, so I'll report back with my findings. Don't worry, I'm not going to blow the lid off our scheme of adding Aldens to the cart before midnight, just trying to figure out why my test run isn't working when my profile says my corporate discount is set up and ready for online shopping.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

That is correct. :D

9C in whiskey lined
    9C in color 8 BB unlined

13. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I see your point... it is just that the Carmina Fitzgerald is $825 and that price point will take some getting used to...at least for.

14. Don L

Don L Senior member

The only way you can tell if the Corp discount is in there is to put an item in your cart and go through the checkout until you get to the last step. You will see the 15% discount taken off.
    If you see that you will be all set and it will ring 30% on that day.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Go with Alden Plaza. :nodding:

I have - or should I say had - both. :D My BB Peal captoe boots by C&J were returned by me as defective as the shell finish/dye/whatever was rubbing off. There were places on the boot where the coloring was becoming streaky. Weird. I was given a refund without incident. This is the second pair of said BB boots I have had in my possession that had this issue. The first pair was returned by me before I wore them outside - I just wasn't liking what I was seeing (I had laced them around the back of the boot and the same streakiness was present). A few months later I tried my hand at a second pair thinking that the first pair was an anomaly. No dice. So I went 0 for 2. And the first pair arrived with Dainite and the second pair arrived with double leather????? And I like C&J shell, and have other models I like just fine - Marlow, Bradford, etc.

But on top of the above experience, the Alden Plaza is more sleek and Alden's color 8, IMO, is a much better dark burgundy - much better - than C&J's burgundy shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.