***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Not worth paying the full $850 IMO. The Marlows typically go on sale 1x-2x per year. I picked mine up a few months back 30% off. Everyone's experience is different but my pair has an extremely dull finish compared to my Alden and AE shells. Nonetheless, its a great shoe; very versatile.

2. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

Ravello cap toe boots and APC new standards at the airport today. These are my favorite shells in my humble collection.

[​IMG]

3. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

It's been said before, but these go on sale twice a year, so I consider their price to be more like $505 + tax (30% + 15% off of $850). I wouldn't pay $850, but I think they're worth the sale price.

The loafer Marlows can be had for $339 via this thread.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

4. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Good grief, I'm in the same boat only I can't figure it out to save my life. I have a corporate member number received by email and I can probably call in an order and get the disc. but I can't get anything to show on the website login. can you give me a tutorial?

5. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I think the ultimate test is to (1) click MY ACCOUNT on the top of the BB webpage, (2) click Address Book under MY SETTINGS on the left, and (3) see if there is an address titled "CXXXXXXXXXXXX" ("C" followed by your corporate account number). (EDIT: If you see this address, ensure it is the default address.) If you do not see this, you don't have your corporate account linked with your BB webpage account, and you will have to start from scratch and create a new BB webpage account. To do this, log out of your account and click REGISTER at the top of the page. I think the zip code you enter when you register must match the zip code associated with your corporate account. Once you've done this, go back to the beginning of this paragraph and hopefully you'll see your corporate account number as one of the addresses. if so, make sure it's the default address. If not, I don't think I know the next troubleshooting step.

I might type up a tutorial of how to get a corporate account if you don't work at a company that participates. I did this through Corporate Perks, though it was a while ago, so I don't recall the steps. I could probably figure it out and report back.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

[​IMG]

Alden x JGilbert #8 Captoes, Plaza, Commando.

Continuing to play w/ phone-based photo processing.

7. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

dang you are awesome! I'm all set now. I think the problem was that I had a member acct and a corporate acct and the member acct was my default. All set thanks!!

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Excellent. I edited my post to remind people to make sure that their corporate account number address is the default address.

9. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

(I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but...)

Those boots would make a nun get on her knees.

10. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

This.

Commando sole is over-rated. Just topy if you're that worried. I like to simply add toe taps. Leather soles, when broken in, give great traction.

11. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I am truly digging your compositions. Nice shoes, too.

12. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

There is little to know difference in "build quality" between Alden and CJ. CJ finishes their shoes just slightly nicer in their bench grade (which the Darlton is). The handgrades are indeed "nicer" than Alden, though I have yet to love the aesthetic coming out of CJ. Too "sleek" for me.

I'll take cigar LWB over the Darlton all day every day.

If you love Alden but want to consider moving "on or up" from them, check out Carmina or Vass.

13. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Question on the BB vs stock LHS: Are there any differences between the two beside the BB version being unlined and not having the rows of stitching around the "tongue." It seems that the stock #986 has a wider heel/outsole (and a more substantial shoe in general), perhaps because of a different welt, but I'm having a hard time determining that from these photos. If anyone has experience with the two models, I'd appreciate your input, sizing included.
    BB:

[​IMG]
    986:

[​IMG]

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I've got both. 1 Pair unlined, 2 lined. Never noticed that there was a difference other than the lining, and the stitching on the tongue that necessarily goes with it. Unlined 9.5D (TTS), Lined 9C. Maybe could have gone smaller with the unlined, but the 9.5D works fine. Could not have gone larger with the lined, as I tried when I was dialing in. Started 9.5D, then tried 9D, finally arrived at 9C.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The length seems pretty similar despite being different sizes. At times I have wondered if BB adjusts their sizing .5 size to compensate for the spacious nature of the Van.

Good Luck

Edit: I recommend the Unlined where possible. Pardon the inappropriateness of my analogy, but the unlined feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of shell shoes. (even if you have socks on). The lined version feels like having unprotected sex with a pair of wooden clogs, at least until they are well broken-in. (Even with socks on).

(and yes, I do know from experience because I have actually tried it! I don't recommend it however, as its a great way to spread disease, like athletes...

...well, nevermind)

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

wow. Glad you keep your socks on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.