1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

[​IMG] Thanks Roguls and everyone else who provided information and perspective about the C&J Marlow wingtips. They are an intriguing shoe. Alden's might appear a little "blobby", and sizing the damn things is a style forum in itself, but I can't see value for money in buying shoes from England, Spain, or Hungary when good shoes are made right here in Massachusetts.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

Alden does not currently offer a shell SWB that I know of, much less one in Cigar.

So with the Marlow, Alden has no comparable model that is even offered. Buy the Marlow. Buy some Aldens. I don't see it as one against the other.

Alden's Cigar LWB (which I have) and the Marlow SWB (which I have) is an apples to oranges comparison. The model of shoe is totally different.

Someone mentioned that the Marlow is inbetween ravello and cigar in color. That may be the case for some, but mine is a true and rich dark brown, even darker than many - if not all - of my Alden cigar models.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior Member

If this has already been asked I apologize. How is the sizing for the Marlow Rl ..vs Barrie. I am 11.5d

4. stanford88

stanford88 Senior Member

Seven, respectfully, which models don't you have? would you post a picture of your sometime?

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I respectfully disagree. A commando soled boot/shoe is a completely different animal than a leather soled boot/shoe with a topy; and Dainite is a different animal as well. I won't make the case for any of the three over any of the others, but they are all totally different. I have all 3.

6. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior Member

Argentino - haven't been interested in Color 8 previously, but this pic may change my mind! Great looking boots.

7. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior Member

Isn't the Leffot Atom a SWB? Similar to yours, my Marlow shortwings are a dark rich brown and nowhere close to ravello.

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

That's exactly why I come to this thread. There are people here who have actually walked a mile in the shoes that I'm interested in.

9. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

You're rockin' it, Argentino! I love the worn-in look of the #8's. Don't tell me those are the 702's with faded hems?

10. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

If you order from carmina directly or skoaktiebolaget.se your price is about $550-$700

11. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior Member

I appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with the BB boot. I'm quite fond of both, but its the little things that I'm debating in my head atm. Eyelets vs none, reverse welt vs none, the shape of the toebox is slightly similar since the Plaza last is a bit narrower than other common Alden lasts. Maybe I'll deliberate till I change my mind completely.

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

They look more like Epaulet navy rivet chinos to me but hard to tell given the camera edits

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much? Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber). But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

I think I showed this before but here is a side-by-side view of my Alden cigar LWB, C&J/RL dark brown Marlow, and Alfred Sargent cognac Miller [​IMG]

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

I would think the density of the leather used on the heel stack... but then again, I am one of the lesser knowledgeable members when it comes to construction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.