• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cigar LHS today w/ Marcoliani Merino OTC

Awesome.

phorm

Reaction score
RL Marlow is definitely on the chunky side with its double leather sole, but it's wearable with a suit and the heavier profile makes it easier to wear with jeans in a more casual style. Marlow is less "blobby" in my eyes than Barrie.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

and btw is there any chance i can get a pair of ravello boots in sz 7E (or 7.5 D)?
either straight captoe, nst or ptb can do

Your best bet for finding a ravello boot in one of those sizes will be to find somebody doing a pre-order for them and waiting a year or two... or three. I wear similar sizes and have had no luck finding such a boot in stock anywhere for quite a while now (but I haven't really been trying all that hard). You might want to call a retailer like The Shoe Mart or one of the Alden specific stores and ask if they know of anything in the specs you are looking for coming down the pipeline and if you can be notified when they come in or place a deposit. Good luck!

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

got my cigar indy from SF
glad they came with oiled sole instead of Neo-Cork

and btw is there any chance i can get a pair of ravello boots in sz 7E (or 7.5 D)?
either straight captoe, nst or ptb can do

If you don't mind chukka boots, I think those sizes are restocked somewat regularly by Alden NYC and The Shoe mart

phorm

Reaction score
C&J does source their shell from Horween. I haven't visually verified my Marlow bluchers or loafers, but my two pairs of unlined C&J Harvard loafers both have the Horween stamp visible on the inside of the shoe.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be clear, I don't own this shoe, I pulled that photo from Leffot's tumblr (though I have seen the shoe in store).

I think the Tremont last adds a bit of "dressiness" to these shoes over the barrie last. For those that don't like Barrie with suits, tremont is easier to wear with them. It is not as sleek as the Plaza or Aberdeen, though.

I just received my Atoms yesterday and will break them in over the weekend. They do definitely look a bit more sleek than any of the similar shoes I have on the Barrie last. I'm anxious to have a chance to wear them.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J does source their shell from Horween. I haven't visually verified my Marlow bluchers or loafers, but my two pairs of unlined C&J Harvard loafers both have the Horween stamp visible on the inside of the shoe.

You wouldn't be able to see a "Horween" stamp on the Marlows because they are lined, even the tongue.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dig mine: The build quality is even better than Aldens (sacrilege!). I like them about the same as my Aldens.
Risking even more sacrilege and the eternal rath of the high priests of the holy Alden faith what is it specifically about the Ralph Lauren cordovan wingtip that inspires even the most avid of shell admirers? I've only seen the shoes on someone else's feet. I own some Alden LWB's so I'm wondering what differences in build quality between the two shoes are people referring to? Are they worth the extra Benjamin and change more than some Alden cigar LWB's? And, at 850 bones that's only a half step away from a "G". If a guys cool with paying close to a $1K for one pair of shoes, and he doesn't have some kind of restrictive medical condition, why not go all the way and get made to order. Just axing a question.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is more attention to detail. When they are on sale (every year), they are cheaper than Aldens. They are more readily available. Also, you can return them easily if they don't fit you well.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
- dbl -

Last edited:

mikeharo

Reaction score
Love my marlows but the shell is definitely drier than alden's for some reason.....

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Risking even more sacrilege and the eternal rath of the high priests of the holy Alden faith what is it specifically about the Ralph Lauren cordovan wingtip that inspires even the most avid of shell admirers? I've only seen the shoes on someone else's feet. I own some Alden LWB's so I'm wondering what differences in build quality between the two shoes are people referring to? Are they worth the extra Benjamin and change more than some Alden cigar LWB's? And, at 850 bones that's only a half step away from a "G". If a guys cool with paying close to a $1K for one pair of shoes, and he doesn't have some kind of restrictive medical condition, why not go all the way and get made to order. Just axing a question.

1) The construction seems superior to me. I've worn it pretty heavily for over two years, no loose threading, the sole is wearing extremely hard, easy to maintain, etc
2) The last is slightly sleeker than Barrie - it is very versatile and can be worn with a suit or jeans.
3) The shoe goes on sale a few times a year
4) Great color that is not necessarily found in the standard Alden lineup
5) Wingtip / "shortwing" blucher pattern - Alden doesn't stock this pattern that often

The one downside is that Marlow cordovan is more difficult to shine than Alden - Alden seems to infuse its shell with more dye/oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads