***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Awesome.

2. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

RL Marlow is definitely on the chunky side with its double leather sole, but it's wearable with a suit and the heavier profile makes it easier to wear with jeans in a more casual style. Marlow is less "blobby" in my eyes than Barrie.

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Ive always liked this shoe it's made by c&j right? Do they source their shell from horween?

4. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Your best bet for finding a ravello boot in one of those sizes will be to find somebody doing a pre-order for them and waiting a year or two... or three. I wear similar sizes and have had no luck finding such a boot in stock anywhere for quite a while now (but I haven't really been trying all that hard). You might want to call a retailer like The Shoe Mart or one of the Alden specific stores and ask if they know of anything in the specs you are looking for coming down the pipeline and if you can be notified when they come in or place a deposit. Good luck!

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

If you don't mind chukka boots, I think those sizes are restocked somewat regularly by Alden NYC and The Shoe mart

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Yes - Horween shell, manufactured by C&J

7. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

C&J does source their shell from Horween. I haven't visually verified my Marlow bluchers or loafers, but my two pairs of unlined C&J Harvard loafers both have the Horween stamp visible on the inside of the shoe.

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I just received my Atoms yesterday and will break them in over the weekend. They do definitely look a bit more sleek than any of the similar shoes I have on the Barrie last. I'm anxious to have a chance to wear them.

9. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

You wouldn't be able to see a "Horween" stamp on the Marlows because they are lined, even the tongue.

10. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Risking even more sacrilege and the eternal rath of the high priests of the holy Alden faith what is it specifically about the Ralph Lauren cordovan wingtip that inspires even the most avid of shell admirers? I've only seen the shoes on someone else's feet. I own some Alden LWB's so I'm wondering what differences in build quality between the two shoes are people referring to? Are they worth the extra Benjamin and change more than some Alden cigar LWB's? And, at 850 bones that's only a half step away from a "G". If a guys cool with paying close to a $1K for one pair of shoes, and he doesn't have some kind of restrictive medical condition, why not go all the way and get made to order. Just axing a question.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

There is more attention to detail. When they are on sale (every year), they are cheaper than Aldens. They are more readily available. Also, you can return them easily if they don't fit you well.

12. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

- dbl -

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Papa Doble, your acknowledgments of my meager style attempts are greatly appreciated.

14. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

Love my marlows but the shell is definitely drier than alden's for some reason.....

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) The construction seems superior to me. I've worn it pretty heavily for over two years, no loose threading, the sole is wearing extremely hard, easy to maintain, etc
    2) The last is slightly sleeker than Barrie - it is very versatile and can be worn with a suit or jeans.
    3) The shoe goes on sale a few times a year
    4) Great color that is not necessarily found in the standard Alden lineup
    5) Wingtip / "shortwing" blucher pattern - Alden doesn't stock this pattern that often

The one downside is that Marlow cordovan is more difficult to shine than Alden - Alden seems to infuse its shell with more dye/oils.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.