• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're looking for a #8 wingtip boot but don't like the crepe sole then AoC has them with a commando sole on the Leydon last here. I also noticed he has an overstock AF74 #8 pebble grain wing tip boot, Barrie last, commando sole in 11.5D for $575.

Also Epaulet has the Brixton Ravello wingtip boot for pre-order in 12D. No speedhooks, barrie last and double leather soles. Rumor is he will do it in Cigar too.

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with AoC or Epaulet. I just like looking at their Aldens multiple times a week :)

Yeah I guess I'm asking whether to get a boot or blucher in a cordo wingtip. Just getting the collection going so maybe I should do a blucher since I've got the 403's and cap toe boots. Perhaps alternate between boot and shoe with each purchase?

I'm so in though if that cigar wingtip boot comes through at Epaulet. :nodding:

Last edited:

keithp3521

Reaction score

Not to be a downer but I think the Unionmade boots look too chunky on that crepe sole... Would prefer just a regular pair of 975s (#8 longwing bluchers).
Well, I work in an office but I wear jeans every day, so I'm going off what I would prefer. With a suit, yeah, I agree. But the original poster is looking for a more a casual-yet-sharp look. He wants to wear them on casual Friday (i.e. with jeans) and also out at night. So I think a more casual "boot" look would work for him. IMO

l1mab3an

Reaction score
IMO I think the J crew cap-toes exemplify a jean friendly casual-yet-sharp look to a tee, the snuff version seems to lack the sharp appeal to at least my eye.

unclesam099

Reaction score

do people use the alden neutral shoe cream for natty chromexcel shoes?

Yes, I use it. Seems to soften it up a bit and "feed" it. I'm not going for shine or color change, but more of a cleaning and a moisten/reoiling of it. Which reminds me, I need to hit my NCXL PTBs with it again.

zueod

Reaction score
In considering Namor’s recent post, I wanted to share my recent Alden customer service experience.

I ordered a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy's from Leather Soul, and two weeks after I got them I noticed some threads in the heal had come loose:

I immediately contacted Leather Soul and they advised me to ship them back for repair. Fast forward five weeks: Leather Soul gets them back from Alden and contact me to tell me that the threads still seem to be loose. They ship them out to Alden again. After another 9 or 10 weeks, (I lost count --it was three months and a few days all told,) Leather Soul finally gets them back from Alden and they express mail them back to me.

I wish I was able to say that Alden had used the extra time to do the repair properly, but sadly that is not the case. There is still loose stitching on the heel, and the repair involved abrading the interior leather lining and creating an amateurish-looking 'Frankenstein' stitch on the inside of the boot:

I'm finding it difficult to believe that this is an acceptable standard for their craftsmen. In the past few days the interior stitch has shown signs of unraveling and at this point I'm not convinced that the repair will hold. But in theory, when the original threads eventually unravel, there will be a secondary stitch in place to prevent the leather heel piece from separating from the boot. Looking at the pics from Namor's blowout, I get the worrisome feeling I might be in for some more trauma in regards to this boot.

Now please understand, I think these boots look and feel great, and I (probably) wouldn't hesitate to buy them all over again even knowing what I know now. It's just my misfortune that they have to be made by a company with such an egregious lack of quality control and apparent inability to perform prompt or competent repairs.

I should point out that I don't consider this to be Leather Soul's fault in any part, but rather, their regrettable burden when their hapless customers resort to seeking their assistance with a poorly made product.

I can't say that I hadn't been forewarned; I had read this thread from front to back before making my purchase, and had seen posts about the sub-par quality control, (thanks for that, StyleForum!). But my advice after all this? Send back for replacement or refund and NOT for repair.*

*Unless, like me, replacement isn't possible and you really are unreasonably smitten by the boot.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

G’day to all. This is my first post on SF. I’m from that footwear backwater also known as Sydney Australia. Years ago when I lived in LA I owned a pair of tassel Alden’s and loved them. Since then, my footwear has been pretty grim, comprising the odd boat shoe and loafer I picked up during the occasional trip stateside. Shoes available in Australia are appalling.

Having discovered this forum, I have ordered a pair of Ultimate Indy’s from Leather Soul, guessing that my size is 10.5 since my other USA shoes are usually size 11. I am travelling through Hawaii in December before heading to the east coast for Christmas. Leather Soul has said that I can swap my size over in their forward-order if necessary, when I see them in Waikiki.

During my visit to their store I plan to work out my size in all the various Alden lasts so that in the future I can order over the Internet with confidence (at least while the Aussie dollar remains so strong). This will involve a serious amount of time and notation on my part in the store – I have to work out a way of slipping in there without my wife. She will flip if she sees how much these babies cost and will be particularly distressed if she gets wind of what I intend to purchase in the future! I’m really hoping to pick up some shell boots or chukkas in the store to kick-start my collection.

I can fully relate to kippy. I know I will be getting the shoes delivered to my office address and surreptitiously using the trunk (we call it a “boot”) of my car as a footwear wardrobe! I’m already doing this with a couple of Aero jackets I have bought. One of them I keep at the office and it only gets an airing when I am away from home and family. I know I’m pathetic, but what can I say.

This forum is great but a total disaster on the family budget

Cheers

welcome to te forum
shells are addictive

onestar

Reaction score

You have RM Williams boots down under! And living in LA, RM Williams boots get comments too. They were my habit before Alden took over!

I take your point and I have to admit I do have a couple of pairs of RMW's (wearing a pair now!). They are the only fine quality Australian-made footwear around in my opinion. I will just be nice to be able to dress in a way other than as a bushman!

onestar

Reaction score

welcome to te forum
shells are addictive

Thanks Mac. I am looking forward to trying out your shine method as soon as I get my first shells. Please tell me, do you seriously own all those wonderful shoes you so cruely show us every day? (I'm sure this has been explained before in one of the previous zillion posts, but I'd love to know). Are you "in the business"?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1zq3bxt.jpg

color 8 lwb
argyles otc

rkusmant

Reaction score
Uncle Mac,
If you are travelling for a week, and can only bring 1 pair of shoes/boots for business, leisure, maybe some rain, which Alden will you take with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads