***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Yeah I guess I'm asking whether to get a boot or blucher in a cordo wingtip. Just getting the collection going so maybe I should do a blucher since I've got the 403's and cap toe boots. Perhaps alternate between boot and shoe with each purchase?

I'm so in though if that cigar wingtip boot comes through at Epaulet. :nodding:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  2. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Well, I work in an office but I wear jeans every day, so I'm going off what I would prefer. With a suit, yeah, I agree. But the original poster is looking for a more a casual-yet-sharp look. He wants to wear them on casual Friday (i.e. with jeans) and also out at night. So I think a more casual "boot" look would work for him. IMO

3. l1mab3an

l1mab3an Senior member

IMO I think the J crew cap-toes exemplify a jean friendly casual-yet-sharp look to a tee, the snuff version seems to lack the sharp appeal to at least my eye.

4. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

Yes, I use it. Seems to soften it up a bit and "feed" it. I'm not going for shine or color change, but more of a cleaning and a moisten/reoiling of it. Which reminds me, I need to hit my NCXL PTBs with it again.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

6. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

7. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Like a hippy high school guidance counselor.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  8. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

I understand the term - it's your reference that is called into question.

9. zueod

zueod Member

In considering Namor’s recent post, I wanted to share my recent Alden customer service experience.

I ordered a pair of Kudu Ultimate Indy's from Leather Soul, and two weeks after I got them I noticed some threads in the heal had come loose:

[​IMG]

I immediately contacted Leather Soul and they advised me to ship them back for repair. Fast forward five weeks: Leather Soul gets them back from Alden and contact me to tell me that the threads still seem to be loose. They ship them out to Alden again. After another 9 or 10 weeks, (I lost count --it was three months and a few days all told,) Leather Soul finally gets them back from Alden and they express mail them back to me.

I wish I was able to say that Alden had used the extra time to do the repair properly, but sadly that is not the case. There is still loose stitching on the heel, and the repair involved abrading the interior leather lining and creating an amateurish-looking 'Frankenstein' stitch on the inside of the boot:

[​IMG]

I'm finding it difficult to believe that this is an acceptable standard for their craftsmen. In the past few days the interior stitch has shown signs of unraveling and at this point I'm not convinced that the repair will hold. But in theory, when the original threads eventually unravel, there will be a secondary stitch in place to prevent the leather heel piece from separating from the boot. Looking at the pics from Namor's blowout, I get the worrisome feeling I might be in for some more trauma in regards to this boot.

Now please understand, I think these boots look and feel great, and I (probably) wouldn't hesitate to buy them all over again even knowing what I know now. It's just my misfortune that they have to be made by a company with such an egregious lack of quality control and apparent inability to perform prompt or competent repairs.

I should point out that I don't consider this to be Leather Soul's fault in any part, but rather, their regrettable burden when their hapless customers resort to seeking their assistance with a poorly made product.

I can't say that I hadn't been forewarned; I had read this thread from front to back before making my purchase, and had seen posts about the sub-par quality control, (thanks for that, StyleForum!). But my advice after all this? Send back for replacement or refund and NOT for repair.*

*Unless, like me, replacement isn't possible and you really are unreasonably smitten by the boot.

10. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Yeah, I'm saying that a person wearing those suede J Crew booties would look like a hippy high school guidance counselor.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

welcome to te forum
    shells are addictive

12. onestar

onestar Well-Known Member

I take your point and I have to admit I do have a couple of pairs of RMW's (wearing a pair now!). They are the only fine quality Australian-made footwear around in my opinion. I will just be nice to be able to dress in a way other than as a bushman!

13. onestar

onestar Well-Known Member

Thanks Mac. I am looking forward to trying out your shine method as soon as I get my first shells. Please tell me, do you seriously own all those wonderful shoes you so cruely show us every day? (I'm sure this has been explained before in one of the previous zillion posts, but I'd love to know). Are you "in the business"?

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 lwb
    argyles otc

15. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

Uncle Mac,
    If you are travelling for a week, and can only bring 1 pair of shoes/boots for business, leisure, maybe some rain, which Alden will you take with you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.