***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

2. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

It's a combination of QC issue (shouldn't happen in the first place) and customer service (lack the will to go all the way to either fix or replace). Anyway what was their exact reason for not able to replace it for you? Alden think it looks pretty acceptable or nothing would go wrong?

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

tassels on my feet and pair of lhs in my carry on bag

4. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I was in the same situation with a brand new pair of suede PTB I got form LS. It is annoying waiting 9-12 months for a shoe to arrive only to find out that they are not the quality they should be. I had to send them back to get an eyelet put in that was missed by the factory and ended up having to clean out globs of glue from the interior that passed their QA inspection.

5. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

These two points are a big reason why some companies can afford to let QC slide.

6. zueod

zueod Member

Quote: The Kudo Ultimate Indy goes out of stock pretty quickly. I got in on the tail end of a re-order and felt lucky at that. Extrapolating from onestar's recent post they might be getting in another order around December (or even earlier if the last two years have been an indicator,) but that was sooner than I expected considering the conversation I had with Leather Soul when I initially purchased the boot (last December).

In short, I don't think they had another size 9.5 to offer to replace it with, and wouldn't have had for another 8 months.

And heaven help you if something goes wrong with the replacement because at best, it seems like it would be a year between each replacement you would need. Until Alden improves their quality control, I think that's just the situation we're stuck with if we want their products.

And on preview, yeah kgmessier, you probably have it exactly right.

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

I recently polished my NATURAL Chromexcel Indy shoes with some light brown Saphir wax. It definitely took a shine like in the Horween picture.

Wax will give a shine and protect, but I think Neetsfoot oil is more likely to saturate and nourish the leather (I haven't tried it myself) and will be more of a matte finish

Products I've used on Chromexcel without any problem are: Saphir Renovateur (good!), Saphir Wax (shine), and Alden neutral boot cream (works just fine)

8. marg

marg Senior member

Maybe you guys can help me here...

I am looking for a black boot that will be versastile. I am torn between the classic cap toe boot and this plain toe on the crepe: http://aldenmadisonny.com/SHELL5.html (bottom of page). I would have uploaded a pic but work comps block everything.

Thoughts? Can a crepe sole be dressed up?

9. zueod

zueod Member

Quote: I haven't contributed anything but complaints so far, so I'll bite.

My experience with crepe soles on a dress shoe are that they are far to prone to picking up crud (lint, carpet fuzz, surface scum and the like) and I hate that dirty sponge look they sometimes acquire. I'm sure many others here will disagree, but I have not had particularly positive experience with it.

Have you completely ruled out the commando sole offerings form Alden of Carmel?

You might also peruse this sf thread on crepe soles for more thoughts.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    color 8 monks
    argyles otc

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Are you sure you're a size 8 on the Barrie last? If you're usually an 8 and haven't tried this last before you're probably a 7.5 (which I have very good condition and might consider selling).

12. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

thanks, maybe I'll try the tassels when I visit Alden store. Been on boots route forever, haven't had the need/chance to rock dress shoes...

13. CWJr

CWJr Member

I'm torn between the brown chromexcel Indys and the natural chromexcel Indys, both with commando soles. Any thoughts on the versatility of the different shades? Any difference in durability of the finishes? These would be used during Michigan winters.

14. onestar

onestar Well-Known Member

The guys at Leather Soul said that the Ultimate Indy's wouldn't be in until after December. I'm just going to try to work out my correct size (if it isn't 10.5) when I visit their store or while I am on the east coast. They said if this wasn't my size, I could change to another size as long as there was one still available from their forward order.

15. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Thanks for the info Jason, very informative.

How often are you applying the boot cream? I've got some Venetian shoe cream which works well, just not sure how often to use it. Also do you apply the cream first and then wax or do you treat them as mutually exclusive of one another?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.