• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my first pair of Alden's and I need help....

I've fallen in love with these boots but Im scared its just not meant to be due to my wide feet. In tennis shoes I wear a 13EEEE and in Allen Edmonds I wear a 13EEE. After calling Alden San Francisco and also emailing Alden directly, I have been told that the jumper only comes in EE. But, is it possible that an Alden EE would work for me?

There is an Alden dealer in my town but they keep very little in stock as they are more of a clothing store and they never stock anything in a EE or EEE. So it's not possible to try anything on locally. I went to NYC last year and visited the store there and they didn't have anything in stock in my size to try on.

I would literally buy anything on a barrie last in a 12.5EE or 13EE just to see if it would work, but I can't even find that anywhere out there.

Are there any Alden lovers with wide feet out there that have any experience with this Alden Jumper or any Alden shoes?

I was thinking I would just bite the bullet and order them in a 12.5 EE and a 13 EE and see if either works. The only problem there is that most of the dealers I've spoken to have said there is a no return policy on custom orders, except my local shop who says I can return customs but I have to pay a restocking fee.

Im at a loss and I don't know what to do here. Any advice is appreciated, thank you
What lasts are you 13EEE in Allen Edmonds? Knowing that I can probably tell you. Some you wear EEEE in sneakers I’d bet you’d need EEE, but maybe not! Also, do you have a high instep?

DapperDan08

Reaction score
F77036A6-4163-4D98-B8E6-284F50000189.jpeg

BigHempin

Reaction score
What lasts are you 13EEE in Allen Edmonds? Knowing that I can probably tell you. Some you wear EEEE in sneakers I’d bet you’d need EEE, but maybe not! Also, do you have a high instep?

For Allen Edmonds I am a 13EEE in their "65 footwear last". I hate to say Im not sure about the instep. Im not sure I've ever had my instep measured but I am happy to try and take a measurement myself if you think it would be helpful.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For Allen Edmonds I am a 13EEE in their "65 footwear last". I hate to say Im not sure about the instep. Im not sure I've ever had my instep measured but I am happy to try and take a measurement myself if you think it would be helpful.
How much of a v gap (lace gap) do you have (that’ll show instep)? Are they quite snug in heel and forefoot?
many people drop down half a length and up a width for the 65 compared to TTS lasts. There is a chance it can work, but you very well may need a 13EEE if you have a lot of lace gap.
for instance, I wear 11EEE in 65 and 1757 and 11.5EE in 511. For Alden I wear 11.5EE in Plaza and 11EE for TruBal and Barrie.

I would strongly suggest you try to test for size in person if Alden SF, Alden DC, or Shoe Mart have any 13EE/EEE in stock.

BigHempin

Reaction score
How much of a v gap (lace gap) do you have (that’ll show instep)? Are they quite snug in heel and forefoot?

I have about a 1cm v gap maybe 1.5cm. I would say these fit just about perfectly, I would not call them snug but they are closer to snug than loose or relaxed if that makes sense. I would say the same about the heelp, not snug, just a good fit.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have about a 1cm v gap maybe 1.5cm. I would say these fit just about perfectly, I would not call them snug but they are closer to snug than loose or relaxed if that makes sense. I would say the same about the heelp, not snug, just a good fit.
You might be a good candidate for 13EE! Barrie and Trubal tend to run wider than AE lasts.

BigHempin

Reaction score
You might be a good candidate for 13EE! Barrie and Trubal tend to run wider than AE lasts.

I think I might just roll the dice and order some. I guess I can list them here or on ebay if they dont fit? Who would you order from? My local store said they cannot order them as there is a 12 order minimum.

So I have always heard to size down with Aldens, do you think I should go down to a 12.5EE? Or will the 13EE help compensate for the lack of width? This is where it would be helpful to try them on. C'est la vie...

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm about to purchase my first pair of Alden's and I need help....

I've fallen in love with these boots but Im scared its just not meant to be due to my wide feet. In tennis shoes I wear a 13EEEE and in Allen Edmonds I wear a 13EEE. After calling Alden San Francisco and also emailing Alden directly, I have been told that the jumper only comes in EE. But, is it possible that an Alden EE would work for me?

There is an Alden dealer in my town but they keep very little in stock as they are more of a clothing store and they never stock anything in a EE or EEE. So it's not possible to try anything on locally. I went to NYC last year and visited the store there and they didn't have anything in stock in my size to try on.

I would literally buy anything on a barrie last in a 12.5EE or 13EE just to see if it would work, but I can't even find that anywhere out there.

Are there any Alden lovers with wide feet out there that have any experience with this Alden Jumper or any Alden shoes?

I was thinking I would just bite the bullet and order them in a 12.5 EE and a 13 EE and see if either works. The only problem there is that most of the dealers I've spoken to have said there is a no return policy on custom orders, except my local shop who says I can return customs but I have to pay a restocking fee.

Im at a loss and I don't know what to do here. Any advice is appreciated, thank you

I have several thoughts. First, your local Alden dealer can ask Alden to ship them any stock item for you to try on. I am also a EEE and a dealer in Dallas brought in an 11EEE shoe for me to try. Try it in the store and only purchase after it fits. This would seem to eliminate the restocking fee. The 405 Indy does come stock in 13EE and I would lean on them to bring one in to try.

I also see that The Shoe Mart has an Indy boot in stock that is a 12EEE, but there is a restock fee and some limitations on returns. Has to not be creased, etc. Given all of the variables, I think you have to lay your hands on a pair, in some size, just to start to answer some of your fit questions.

Finally, where are you located? If you are close I would let you come over and try on some of mine to just get you started.

BigHempin

Reaction score
I have several thoughts. First, your local Alden dealer can ask Alden to ship them any stock item for you to try on. I am also a EEE and a dealer in Dallas brought in an 11EEE shoe for me to try. Try it in the store and only purchase after it fits. This would seem to eliminate the restocking fee. The 405 Indy does come stock in 13EE and I would lean on them to bring one in to try.

I also see that The Shoe Mart has an Indy boot in stock that is a 12EEE, but there is a restock fee and some limitations on returns. Has to not be creased, etc. Given all of the variables, I think you have to lay your hands on a pair, in some size, just to start to answer some of your fit questions.

Finally, where are you located? If you are close I would let you come over and try on some of mine to just get you started.
This is some great information/advice, thank you.

I'm in Montgomery, AL. So probably a little too far, if you are in Dallas, but what a generous offer. Thank you!

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I think I might just roll the dice and order some. I guess I can list them here or on ebay if they dont fit? Who would you order from? My local store said they cannot order them as there is a 12 order minimum.

So I have always heard to size down with Aldens, do you think I should go down to a 12.5EE? Or will the 13EE help compensate for the lack of width? This is where it would be helpful to try them on. C'est la vie...

You probably don’t need your AE width.

What’s your Brannock size? The usual formula is to subtract 1/2 from that.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is some great information/advice, thank you.

I'm in Montgomery, AL. So probably a little too far, if you are in Dallas, but what a generous offer. Thank you!

Yeah, it's a 15 hour drive to me, one way. I think you are further ahead with the restock fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads