• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishstix

Reaction score
The plaza last has perplxed me for some time now. I'm probably in the minority but for me, my best plaza size is likely the same as barrie. I just sold a pair of shoes where i sized up from barrie because the fit was just a little off. I recently decided to pick up the fransbone indy's (which i suspect you are contemplating) and i agonzied over whether to go with my barrie size or continue to size up. I sized up since they are boots and i knew i could always go with a thicker sock. They are an absolute beautiful boot but in hindsight, I think I could have gone with my barrie size.
Yeah, I am looking at the Frans Boone Indy's. Do you mind describing the fit of the Plaza last to the Barrie last or TruBalance last if you have a boot on those? Were the Frans Boone Indy's too long a half size up from your Barrie? What in particular was off with the fit? Have you tried a Plaza size the same as your Barrie before? Thank you!

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just bought a pair of the JCrew brown cxl indys - 405. It has a neocork sole and speed hooks. I haven’t taken delivery yet. I just saw the brown cxl indys with monochrome stitching, all eyelets and commando sole from Brick + Mortar. It looks awesome but Yenni is out of my size - 11D. She put me on the waitlist for the next order which she expects in March.

My dilemma is about speed hooks vs all eyelets. I have 2 other dress boots with speed hooks - they’re fine but they take some time to put on and take off. I don’t have a boot with all eyelets. I am wanting the indys to be an everyday casual shoe that I can get on and off with relative ease. So, which is faster? Should I wait for Yenni’s Indy’s or keep the Jcrew ones?

What are some opinions about neocork vs commando? I like the lower profile of the neocork but I don’t now how it will last compared with commando. It’s a tough decision… Thanks!
I am a fan of the all eyelet look. It's very clean and balanced. BUT, there are 2 practical things that I don't like: 1. They take longer to get on and lace up 2. They don't lace up as tight and snug around the ankle That being said, I have both. I have had 2 pair of pants whose hem was ruined by the hooks, but its not the end of the world. As for the soles...I find the neocork to very comfy, as are the commando. Commando seems to be a better sole for the rain and wet conditions. However, I think it wears down faster than the neocork. Bottom line is I think you'll find that different boots do well with different soles and lacing schemes. For me, neither one is a dealbreaker.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neocork gives you a solid rubber bottom so if you are going to be slopping amongst the mud, much and water it is a very good sole. I have a pair of black Indy's that the previous owner actually had a treaded toppy put on it and is great also for going out in slippery conditions. Over all I prefer Commando however Aldens Commando is no where near my first choice when heading out into winter conditions.
I just received a pair of Alden Navy Chamois Tankers. After reading this I compared Alden's commando "cleats" to my Viberg commando ones and holy cow.

I see why Alden's aren't your first choice in snow. Their commando's cleats are 2-3 times shorter(read nubs) than Viberg's.

I thought all commando's were the same. Rain is my only concern in Fl. but I do see your point.

bustert

Reaction score

I am a fan of the all eyelet look. It's very clean and balanced. BUT, there are 2 practical things that I don't like:

1. They take longer to get on and lace up
2. They don't lace up as tight and snug around the ankle

Thanks! With the all eyelets, can't u just loosen all the laces with a finger and put your foot in the boot without pulling the laces out of the eyelets and then quickly pull them all tight to tie up? And same in reverse to get them off? It seems like it'd be faster than wrapping around speed hooks. Or is it not that easy...?

mraza

Reaction score

I just bought a pair of the JCrew brown cxl indys - 405. It has a neocork sole and speed hooks. I haven’t taken delivery yet. I just saw the brown cxl indys with monochrome stitching, all eyelets and commando sole from Brick + Mortar. It looks awesome but Yenni is out of my size - 11D. She put me on the waitlist for the next order which she expects in March.

My dilemma is about speed hooks vs all eyelets. I have 2 other dress boots with speed hooks - they’re fine but they take some time to put on and take off. I don’t have a boot with all eyelets. I am wanting the indys to be an everyday casual shoe that I can get on and off with relative ease. So, which is faster? Should I wait for Yenni’s Indy’s or keep the Jcrew ones?

What are some opinions about neocork vs commando? I like the lower profile of the neocork but I don’t now how it will last compared with commando. It’s a tough decision… Thanks!
Today, I bought new cxl "pac man" Indy from Yenni . Yes she named Indy "PAC man" because she collaborated with some fashion dude "pacman" Any how I was in same dilemma as you, I always had speed hooks , I only wear boots with jeans and I never concerned to rip jeans hems. I was very hesitant but I pulled the trigger because I liked the color . Plus I like comondo sole better. I can't wait to try and see how much more time it take to get in and nd off the boot. If I dislike I can always have cobbler install speed hooks. You shouldn't worry about speed hooks. It can be done if you don't like it. I think that Yenni pacman Indy loook much better tha jcrew model. Good luck

Last edited:

bustert

Reaction score

Today, I bought new cxl "pac man" Indy from Yenni . Yes she named Indy "PAC man" because she collaborated with some fashion dude "pacman"
Any how I was in same dilemma as you, I always had speed hooks , I only wear boots with jeans and I never concerned to rip jeans hems.
I was very hesitant but I pulled the trigger because I liked the color . Plus I like comondo sole better.
I can't wait to try and see how much more time it take to get in and nd off the boot. If I dislike I can always have cobbler install speed hooks.

You shouldn't worry about speed hooks. It can be done if you don't like it.

I think that Yenni pacman Indy loook much better tha jcrew model.

Good luck

Thanks! And congrats on your pickup! Awesome looking boot! Post some pics when you get them and let us know about the ease with which to get them on and off!

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey wingtip boot x AoM.

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I am looking at the Frans Boone Indy's. Do you mind describing the fit of the Plaza last to the Barrie last or TruBalance last if you have a boot on those? Were the Frans Boone Indy's too long a half size up from your Barrie? What in particular was off with the fit? Have you tried a Plaza size the same as your Barrie before? Thank you!

No TruBalance but I do own 4 barrie shells. My unlined dovers and Chukkas run a little larger than my other 2. With the chukkas and dovers, the fit is perfect with a medium weight sock. The 9D FB indys are a little roomy with the same medium weight socks. Extra room is both in length and width. I am convinced that with the FB Indy's, my barrie size would have been fine. At worst, they would have mirrored my jcrew captoes. I actually let the boots stay on my rack unworn for a couple of weeks as i kept going back and forth on keeping versus going down to my barrie size. It was only after the 8.5D became unavailable did i wear the boots. Bottom line, they will work for me since these will be primarily for casual wear and a thick sock will be appropriate. I would not have kept the 9D if my primary wear would be with dress socks. It is a great looking boot and i am very happy with it. Not too add any more uncertainty, but if you like the Grant last, Alden of DC just got a shipment of their Indy's in color 8. While i like the grant last, it made the Indy look a little to dressy for me.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ocho gunboats 2day:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads